Cove vs East Fife

Ends 3-1 with countless squandered chances by Cove including a missed pen. Cove didn't really get into their free flowing passing game and looked far from their best.

EF pressed well the first 30 minutes without showing any signs of goal scoring opportunities. Red card changes the game.

Hamilton took his goal well but EF will be disappointed with this performance and their indiscipline.

Good luck at home to Montrose in your next game. 

Just now, sneed hearn said:

Referee was awful but still a long way better than that East Fife performance.Far too soft in midfield and a lack of pace at the back.Only 1 game but that so poor  as to be alarming.

Referee didn't let play flow. Was hoping the refereeing would be better in L1 than L2 but clearly not!

Pretty brutal stuff from our point of view but it'd be petty not to credit Cove for a large part of that. They look a good side. As mentioned above, maybe not in terms of free flowing football but they look a very tough, organised and competent side. They've got goals in them and very few teams will take something off them cheaply this season I suspect.

As for us, a reasonable first half hour where we looked solid without creating much (or anything really) and it just turned to madness after that. The referee was probably a little bit too quick to err on the side of showing cards but after picking up a couple of cheap yellows it looked like half our team just lost the plot. Going down to 10 men in the first half was always going to make this one an enormous uphill battle and to lose a goal immediately afterwards just sealed our fate.

Not good enough in any area today. Credit to Jack Hamilton for taking his gift of a goal well but that's about the only positive we can take from today. We're going to have to get the heads screwed quickly because we've got another tough game next week against Montrose and we will need to be a hell of a lot better than that to take anything from that one.

Edit: I suppose this season also needs the obligatory review of the stream. Can't complain about the pricing. £10 is probably the cheapest in the SPFL but it was very "no frills". Just the pixellot camera feed and commentary which didn't include any sound from the pitch. The commentary got pretty far ahead of the picture to the point where i had to turn the sound down (I assume this is a pixellot issue but it really needs sorting as it's extremely annoying). A few buffering issues in the first half but fine apart from that. First time watching a pixellot feed and it was pretty good at following play tbh, much better than I expected. It was very difficult to follow play on the far side though due to the camera not zooming in.

Edited by Gordon EF

Tbh, we looked comfortable up until the red card, it totally changed the game and fair fucks to Cove for taking full advantage of it, they stretched us out and played how you should against a reduced side, the damage was done before the second red and if Cove had wanted more goals they probably could have got them!!!

The Team need a massive kick up the arse for that performance, yes they looked comfortable at the start but they also really looked like they were just going through the motions, there was no drive or dig in their play!!!

Janny to start next week, shove Murdoch into midfield for some bite and start King Kev wide if Swanson still isn’t fit!!!

Referee didn't let play flow. Was hoping the refereeing would be better in L1 than L2 but clearly not!

Guaranteed the ref you get next week will be worse than the one you had today, and the one the following game will be worse than that one!!!

Every week in League One you go”I’ve never seen a referee as bad as this” until the next game where amazingly... he is!!!

Welcome to League One, prepare to tear your hair out!!!

Bus is going to break on the way down the road; just that kind of day for EF I think
At least it's a long journey back home....plenty of time for the players to sit back and reflect on what was probably the worst start to a season for as long as I can remember being an EF fan. Didn't see the game and I'm glad I didn't now.

Cove will be a breath of fresh air to this league. There won’t be many teams who will try to build from the back in the way that they do. Having defenders who are genuinely comfortable, confident and reasonably competent on the ball makes a massive difference. Likewise, having a goalkeeper who wants to join in the play makes the game 11v10 in the most part.  

The Cove back four and the goalkeeper sucked East Fife into a high press before quickly playing beyond them creating some useful counters. 

I thought Cove also showed good patience in the attacking third stretching the play and waiting for good opportunities to enter the penalty area rather than reverting to pot shots from distance.

Cove showed good creativity from set pieces opposed to just slinging the ball aimlessly into the penalty area. This was demonstrated in their first goal from the free-kick. Also, I think they are the first team that I have seen at SPFL1/2 level who regularly utilise the new rule of being allowed to receive the ball inside the penalty box from goal kicks.

Interestingly, I’ve seem them play significantly better last season than they did today. Overall, I think Cove will win more games than they will lose this season and should be in with a decent shout of a play-off place. Good luck with to them with the rest of their season and I look forward to seeing how they get on at this level.

1 minute ago, peternapper said:

Might be best having a rethink on that, they are dire

Hope the referee doesn't get in the way of what should be a good contest and derby game next weekend.

Bought a streaming pass for the game. 

Rory back at Balmoor (he'll be on the bench I reckon).

23 minutes ago, 7 Eleven said:

Cove will be a breath of fresh air to this league. There won’t be many teams who will try to build from the back in the way that they do. Having defenders who are genuinely comfortable, confident and reasonably competent on the ball makes a massive difference. Likewise, having a goalkeeper who wants to join in the play makes the game 11v10 in the most part.  

The Cove back four and the goalkeeper sucked East Fife into a high press before quickly playing beyond them creating some useful counters. 

I thought Cove also showed good patience in the attacking third stretching the play and waiting for good opportunities to enter the penalty area rather than reverting to pot shots from distance.

Cove showed good creativity from set pieces opposed to just slinging the ball aimlessly into the penalty area. This was demonstrated in their first goal from the free-kick. Also, I think they are the first team that I have seen at SPFL1/2 level who regularly utilise the new rule of being allowed to receive the ball inside the penalty box from goal kicks.

Interestingly, I’ve seem them play significantly better last season than they did today. Overall, I think Cove will win more games than they will lose this season and should be in with a decent shout of a play-off place. Good luck with to them with the rest of their season and I look forward to seeing how they get on at this level.

Big words.

3.1 flattered us but Cove are much fancied and have some great players at this level. We have to give Cove credit, they took full advantage of our poor discipline and really should have scored more. We created absolutely nothing before Denholm fucked us up but it's only one game and maybe the reality check our team needed. No panic stations just yet but I expect to see much more against Montrose next Sat.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

How did Semple get on for Cove? The Sky app had him playing as a forward in their team line.

IMG_3701.jpg

He played a number 10 role throughout the match and looked like he has some creativity in him. Missed a sitter just after half time. Hard to judge him on one game but showed promise and think he'll do well. Hopefully he can emulate what Glass did for us in L2 last season. Big boots to fill.

Edited by CoveRangers1922