Scotland Squad face November

Craigieboy86

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye I forgot to add "in the last 20 mins" to my post which would have carried the intended implication that he brings these guys on as subs. That's what excited me, having the option of pace from the bench. I wouldn't be starting Burke for Scotland, but the big huddy can be brought on and unleashed as a bezerker on tiring opposition.

Dykes is suspended for a game

21 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I'd bring Hornby into the next squad with an eye on capping him vs Slovakia when Dykes is suspended. McBurnie probably starts that one with Hornby as a sub tho.

Think the u21 matches will be deemed too important, and the senior games too big to experiment in.

What a week it could be if both qualified.

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

No, I think the 3-5-2 thing seems to be working for us now. I wouldn’t change the formation. It’s likely some of the players will change. Second half, the midfield didn’t protect the defence enough but we were up against a decent side. Same thing will likely happen against Serbia. 

Most of the media said Jack played well , McGregor maybe not !?

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Would you keep Considine at centre back? Keep O’Donnell and Taylor as full backs/wing backs?

Will Clarke?

Will he play the same team in Slovakia that he plays in Serbia?

I imagine Taylor will be replaced by Robertson , or Tierney ?

4 hours ago, Detournement said:

I'd go with those four plus Cooper. He has had a great start to the EPL with Leeds, was solid against Israel and has played against Mitrovic a couple of times.

Tierney McTominay Gallagher Cooper Robertson

Palmer instead of Tierney ?

Think the u21 matches will be deemed too important, and the senior games too big to experiment in.
What a week it could be if both qualified.
I reckon you're right that that's the way they'll do it. If it was up to me I'd promote Hornby now tho. He has the hallmarks of an ideal striker for us - tall, powerful, technically good, adept as a lone striker, clinical.

In a nutshell: f*ck the u21s [emoji23]

4 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I'd bring Hornby into the next squad with an eye on capping him vs Slovakia when Dykes is suspended. McBurnie probably starts that one with Hornby as a sub tho.

Can we not get him to drive the U21s to their finals?

4 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

On the basis of a hat-trick against Andorra U 21, two against San Marino U 21, and 18 senior games? He's 6' 5" and probably out-muscled the colts, let him get some experience in the French league, only had 3 games to date.

16 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

On the basis of a hat-trick against Andorra U 21, two against San Marino U 21, and 18 senior games? He's 6' 5" and probably out-muscled the colts, let him get some experience in the French league, only had 3 games to date.

More to do with his goal and performance against the Czech Republic’s U21s, but in general he does seem to know where the goal is. It’s not like we have a raft of decent forwards, so it would be interesting to give him half an hour as a sub and see what he can do. He’s 21. McFadden had scored the winner against Holland at that age.

I take your point though, it would be better if he actually played a few league games first and showed he can score at a decent level.

Edited by Scary Bear

Tierney definitely won't play at right wing back, he'll slot back in on the left of the back 3 where he's been excelling for Arsenal and is becoming a real fan favourite. 

Think the back 5 picks itself apart from at RWB which could be O'Donnell, Palmer or a more offensive player in Forrest or Fraser. 

And maybe the middle centre back where there could be an argument for starting Cooper over Gallagher. I know Gallagher has looked really solid these past few games but Cooper is higher quality imo, and captain of one of the best teams in the EPL so far this season. I keep having nightmares of Gallagher having a 5 minutes against Serbia similar to his mad spell that put Motherwell out of the Europe league. To make those two mistakes in the same few minutes is unforgivable, some terrible decision making that cost Motherwell the chance of a great result in Europe.  Never seen Cooper do anything like that when watching Championship highlights. 

It was actually a hattrick Vs San Marino too, but it was more the Czech goal and assist that impressed me. He stands out against the other u21s and not just because he's a big fecker.

I agree of course it'd be much better for him to be starting and scoring for Reims. I just reckon he looks able enough to be around the top squad as he is. The striker position looks a wee bit better for us now with Dykes clicking, but it would not hurt at all to have a young understudy in there too (I know Dykes is only 25, before someone points it out).

Dykes is suspended for the Slovakia game (not sure if anyone mentioned this [emoji6]), so it'll probably be McBurnie starting that one. It could be an ideal time to hand Hornby his first cap later in that game as a sub. At the very least it ties him to us.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

It was actually a hattrick Vs San Marino too, but it was more the Czech goal and assist that impressed me. He stands out against the other u21s and not just because he's a big fecker.

I agree of course it'd be much better for him to be starting and scoring for Reims. I just reckon he looks able enough to be around the top squad as he is. The striker position looks a wee bit better for us now with Dykes clicking, but it would not hurt at all to have a young understudy in there too (I know Dykes is only 25, before someone points it out).

Dykes is suspended for the Slovakia game (not sure if anyone mentioned this emoji6.png), so it'll probably be McBurnie starting that one. It could be an ideal time to hand Hornby his first cap later in that game as a sub. At the very least it ties him to us.

I like hornby as well. But like a few others I think he needs to be playing and scoring for his club. Before he's in the squad for us.

I dont think there's any need to rush a cap to tie him to us. He's 21 and not starting for reims. Plus he's always played for us and seems to really love it.

Hopefully he can start playing and getting some goals and give us a real selection headache.

Everyone claiming Tierney should come in at LCB clearly doesn't understand the difference between Scotland's back three, and Arsenal's back three. Arsenal have the luxury most games of having the majority of possession where the outer CBs can join the attack (a bit like the free-flowing football going on at Aberdeen right now tbh) as if they were actually playing full back. Scotland don't have that joy, and we almost certainly won't have the majority of the ball against Serbia.

I don't want to second guess Clarke, but I'd be surprised if he makes any unforced changes to the back three.

That said, I would. Despite doing much better in the past two games, I still see McTominay as a weak link in defence. Czechia had one golden opportunity in the first half that fell to Vydra at the back post. McTominay was under the ball, and watched it sail over his head. A better striker scores. There were other examples where his lack of experience in that role show. That's being very critical, but unfortunately you have to be when the margins are tight.

Now I accept the benefit of having the two outer CBs being good with the ball, fast, agile and able to join the attack against diddies. That's the last thing we need in tight games, or "finals".

For me, one of Cooper or McKenna comes back in if fit. Ideally McTominay moves forward (albeit I've only ever seen him play in midfield for Scotland where he was pretty ordinary). Through gritted teeth I will accept that the rat, snake, *** scumbag deserves to keep his place on merit from the last game.

Taylor has done well, but Robertson being the captain and a substantially better player will come back in. I was of the opinion that Palmer looked a better player at right back than O'Donnell; that remains to be seen. However I don't think the difference is clear enough to demand a change given O'Donnell's good recent performances.

McGinn, Dykes, and Fraser (judas) pick themselves at the moment.

Edited by Illgresi

Kieran Tierney is a better defender and a better attacker than Andrew Considine. That's why he was at Celtic and has now moved to Arsenal for £20m and Andrew Considine has spent his entire career at Aberdeen. The only advantage Considine has is that he is slightly better in the air. Clarke clearly thinks Tierney is capable of playing in Scotland's back three, which is why he played him there against Israel the first time around, and why he was almost certainly planning to play him there in this triple header too.

15 minutes ago, ropy said:

Dykes didn’t play today - rested?  McKenna did play - was he injured?

I believe Dykes' manager was complaining about how much football he had played for us in the last week and a half

I believe McKenna was injured !!!