Scotland Squad face November

Craigieboy86

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

I haven’t been watching much of the EPL games. If Tierney plays on the left side of a back three for Arsenal, then I’d imagine he’ll have a good shout for the same position with Scotland. You haven’t mentioned McTominay and he seems to be favoured as one part of the back three at the moment. Do you think he’ll still be there in November? 

My guess is that McTominay will be centre half for most of his Scotland career, or at least under Clarke.  I think he's nailed on for the right side of the three as long as he's fit, and may push into central midfield against minnows.

34 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It’s a difficult one for Steve Clarke. You’d expect he would want Robertson and Tierney as the full backs if they’re both fit, which would mean dropping Taylor and O’Donnell. Of the 3 Centre backs, who plays? Clarke seems to like McTominay so he’s guaranteed a place at centre back, alongside 2 others. Gallagher seems to be in favour, which leaves one other space.

I'd go with those four plus Cooper. He has had a great start to the EPL with Leeds, was solid against Israel and has played against Mitrovic a couple of times.

Tierney McTominay Gallagher Cooper Robertson

25 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m watching the highlights of the game with the Czech Republic on BBC iplayer now. Going on the Czech game I would probably change the defence.

the players , formation ?

Did the midfield protect the defence enough ?

I only saw the highlights

9 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

the players , formation ?

Did the midfield protect the defence enough ?

I only saw the highlights

No, I think the 3-5-2 thing seems to be working for us now. I wouldn’t change the formation. It’s likely some of the players will change. Second half, the midfield didn’t protect the defence enough but we were up against a decent side. Same thing will likely happen against Serbia. 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The defence was the best part of the performance last night.

Would you keep Considine at centre back? Keep O’Donnell and Taylor as full backs/wing backs?

Will Clarke?

Will he play the same team in Slovakia that he plays in Serbia?

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Would you keep Considine at centre back? Keep O’Donnell and Taylor as full backs/wing backs?

Will Clarke?

Will he play the same team in Slovakia that he plays in Serbia?

I would expect Robertson and Tierney to come in for Taylor and Considine as a minimum. If we did have to pick that defence again for the play-off I wouldn't be too worried though.

Assuming no injuries/Covid, I think Clarke will have 10 of the 11 (Marshall, Tierney, McTominay, Gallagher, Robertson, Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Fraser, Dykes) sorted in his head. It's a question of:

O'Donnell-McTominay-Gallagher-Tierney-Robertson

or

Tierney-McTominay-Gallagher-Cooper-Robertson

IMO.

The wing-backs need to hit lots of crosses in the 3-5-2, so I don't think having Tierney on his wrong side is ideal for that at all. He's a good right-back in a 4-4-2/4-5-1 because he has a player in front of him who takes on most of the responsbility for attacking, and he is supplemental to that. However, over all three games you've seen O'Donnell almost playing as a winger at times, with one of the midfielders (normally Jack) filling in for him when he goes forward. I don't think you can ask Tierney to do that.

37 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Assuming no injuries/Covid, I think Clarke will have 10 of the 11 (Marshall, Tierney, McTominay, Gallagher, Robertson, Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Fraser, Dykes) sorted in his head. It's a question of:

O'Donnell-McTominay-Gallagher-Tierney-Robertson

or

Tierney-McTominay-Gallagher-Cooper-Robertson

IMO.

Could be Palmer in that first formation, or the second to be fair

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

He's made about 3 sub appearances.

In that case McBurnie will be involved even though he will probably lose his place at his club when new striker plays,and avoiding injury Shankland and Nesbett will be playing and scoring regularly this month

I wouldn't rule out Hornby breaking into the Reims team soon though

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Unless Clarke decides to deploy Forrest at RWB, none of the above will be in the starting XI. Fraser, McGinn and Dykes have got the 3 attacking berths wrapped up.

Aye I forgot to add "in the last 20 mins" to my post which would have carried the intended implication that he brings these guys on as subs. That's what excited me, having the option of pace from the bench. I wouldn't be starting Burke for Scotland, but the big huddy can be brought on and unleashed as a bezerker on tiring opposition.