Scotland Squad face November

Craigieboy86

On 19/10/2020 at 20:19, Marshmallo said:

Aye ken doesny matter like, ad play Consi masel like deserves it eh. Gie the lad Shinnie a run oot in midfield like. Good tae see Stevie May banging them in again n aw like ken.

On 19/10/2020 at 21:49, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Reads like a decent impression of the standard confabulation one hears in the pubs of Stonehaven, before the conversation moves onto Brave Boris.

a decent effort but needs more ‘Shunkland’ imo

Edited by gannonball

16 hours ago, The Moonster said:

His name is Phil and he has no intention of playing for us again. I don't know how many times this needs said.

He’s never refused to play.  He’s just not been picked.   He’s also 35.

40 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Tom Cairney is shite and Fulham are shite.

Indeed.  

9 hours ago, resk said:
16 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:
It’s a mystery to me why so many Scotland fans hate to see Scots playing in the Premiership down south....

Yes, that would be mysterious, if it was a thing, but it isn't.

Indeed it isn’t.  But there’s also a refusal to admit that all Scotland’s best centre backs - and the ones who should be starting against Serbia - play in England.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He’s never refused to play.  He’s just not been picked.   He’s also 35

I think the boy Daryll Broadfoot (?) who used to do PR for the SFA said (or at least heavily implied) on Sportsound that Strachan didn't pick him because he didn't like him and that by the time Scotland went back to Bardsley he no longer wanted to play.

33 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He’s never refused to play.  He’s just not been picked.   He’s also 35.

Never said he refused to play, I said he's not interested in playing for us.

"After being snubbed for friendlies with the Czech Republic and Denmark in 2016, he delivered a brutally honest response to a question about Scotland.

He said: “I’m not really interested to be perfectly honest — I just want to go on holiday for four days!"

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Never said he refused to play, I said he's not interested in playing for us.

"After being snubbed for friendlies with the Czech Republic and Denmark in 2016, he delivered a brutally honest response to a question about Scotland.

He said: “I’m not really interested to be perfectly honest — I just want to go on holiday for four days!"

That quote in context is of more merit.   He was responding to the suggestion that Strachan didn’t rate him.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

That quote in context is of more merit.   He was responding to the suggestion that Strachan didn’t rate him.

I disagree that gives it more merit. You want to represent your country no matter who is in charge, if he's reacting to not being picked by acting like a 5 year old child and saying "I didn't want to go anyway" then he can f**k off. 

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Struggling to see how "I just want to go on holiday for four days" could be construed as meaning anything other than not being interested in playing for Scotland tbh.

The quote is in full a few pages back.  He may well be not interested, but that response is specifically to a question about whether Strachan rated him.

On 19/10/2020 at 21:58, Dunning1874 said:

I agree with this, you need the wing back to offer an attacking outlet and Tierney can't do that on the right.

A game that always sticks in my mind with him on the right is the 1-0 win against Slovakia in 2017. Tierney defended solidly throughout that game, although Slovakia did start to get a bit of joy down his side after Forrest was taken off and he had a winger with a lower defensive workrate ahead of him in Phillips. What he rarely did was offer an overlap in attack because he just isn't comfortable enough on his right foot to go outside, meaning Forrest and then Phillips found themselves having to cross from deep or go inside or backwards when a natural right footer at full back would have helped them out more. Anya then replaced Tierney, Slovakia's defence was immediately more stretched and it was Anya who put the cross in for the winner.

To extend this point, I was just looking at the average positions for the last three games, and O'Donnell was further forward than either of the central midfielders or Robertson/Taylor, and not far behind McGinn.

So at this stage you're basically looking at the right wing-back as being one of our main attacking options - indeed he was instrumental in both goals that we did score. That means if you want to replace him you probably are looking at someone like Forrest rather than Tierney. I'd say O'Donnell is also much more capable going forward than Palmer, albeit not quite as good defensively (in reality neither of them are particularly great defensively at this level), so I wouldn't be sure about Palmer coming back in either.

Edited by craigkillie

O'Donnell has done quite well in the last couple of games. Certainly has moved himself ahead of palmer in the pecking order.

I'd still rather have Tierney in at right wing back. Just because he's far better than O'Donnell and palmer at every conceivable attribute which you could judge a footballer.

Looking at stats of certain games in isolation means nothing. You could find stats to argue any old rubbish.

Tierney is one of the main guys at arsenal for a reason, he can stroll right back far better than anyone else we have.

49 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I'd still rather have Tierney in at right wing back. Just because he's far better than O'Donnell and palmer at every conceivable attribute which you could judge a footballer.

Kicking with a right foot?

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
7 hours ago, craigkillie said:
"I just want to go on holiday" has nothing to do with Strachan.

Do you understand what "in context" means?

There is no context where this means anything other than him not wanting to play for Scotland. A person who wanted to play for Scotland would say something like "I'll keep plugging away and hopefully get called up eventually".