Scotland Squad face November

Craigieboy86

I think the next Scotland squad is going to be so intriguing.

For the first time in a while we are actually having a debate about who plays at the back instead of settling for who is available.

Nobody could have predicted that Clarke would call up Considine and that he would play so well over 2 games. It's great for Clarke that he has this selection headache now. Surely with so many places up for grabs given how well some have done recently and how poor others have we're going to see a big month from a lot of Scotland players trying to put their names out there to stake a claim for this squad.

My respect for the job Clarke has done, and continues to do, was significantly amplified in the last 3 games. He plays a perfect system for the players we've got and there's absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of a shit fest to get a result when you're us. In fact had some other managers adapted this approach from time to time they might still have been in the job. I think we've been underdogs for years and some managers have tried to "go for it anyway" with their approach but Clarke has absolutely embraced it and instead is making us very hard to beat.

Serbia seem very confident of a result next month which, in my mind, is absolutely ideal.

Yeah, so I’d assume it’ll be between Jack, McGregor and Mclean competing for the deeper roles in the midfield. No obvious candidates to bring in I can think of with Mctominay unlikely to move from defence. Someone like Shinnie or Mccrorie could be brought in but unlikely to play compared to Fleck and the others.

Suppose Mcginn could drop back and one of Christie or Armstrong could play in his more advanced role but given Mcginn’s form in the last few games I’m not sure that’d be a favoured option?

Mcginn is a cert to continue in his current position. Him fraser and dykes are nailed on for those positions.

Marshall
Rwb
Mctominay
Centre back
Tiernay
Robertson

Mcgregor
Centre mid

Mcginn

Fraser
Dykes

Where there is no name is where i think there is no certain starter

10 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Mcginn is a cert to continue in his current position. Him fraser and dykes are nailed on for those positions.

Marshall
Rwb  (O'Donnell)
Mctominay
Centre back (Gallagher)
Tiernay
Robertson

Mcgregor
Centre mid (Armstrong)

Mcginn

Fraser
Dykes

Where there is no name is where i think there is no certain starter

I think these guys will complete the team, injuries and a reasonable amount of playing time between now and then permitting. 

I think these guys will complete the team, injuries and a reasonable amount of playing time between now and then permitting. 

Not sure on armstrong purely because he is more attacking than say ryan jack and i suspect clarke will want ti keep it tight. Gallagher has done himself no harm with his performances. Could be him or liam cooper

3 hours ago, Edith said:

I think the next Scotland squad is going to be so intriguing.

For the first time in a while we are actually having a debate about who plays at the back instead of settling for who is available.

Nobody could have predicted that Clarke would call up Considine and that he would play so well over 2 games. It's great for Clarke that he has this selection headache now. Surely with so many places up for grabs given how well some have done recently and how poor others have we're going to see a big month from a lot of Scotland players trying to put their names out there to stake a claim for this squad.

My respect for the job Clarke has done, and continues to do, was significantly amplified in the last 3 games. He plays a perfect system for the players we've got and there's absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of a shit fest to get a result when you're us. In fact had some other managers adapted this approach from time to time they might still have been in the job. I think we've been underdogs for years and some managers have tried to "go for it anyway" with their approach but Clarke has absolutely embraced it and instead is making us very hard to beat.

Serbia seem very confident of a result next month which, in my mind, is absolutely ideal.

As another poster pointed out McTominay has still to settle into his position

but many congratulations to Clarke for sticking in , and capping Considine , Gallagher and Hanlon

Congratulations to the players

Edited by ewan14

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Yeah, so I’d assume it’ll be between Jack, McGregor and Mclean competing for the deeper roles in the midfield. No obvious candidates to bring in I can think of with Mctominay unlikely to move from defence. Someone like Shinnie or Mccrorie could be brought in but unlikely to play compared to Fleck and the others.

Suppose Mcginn could drop back and one of Christie or Armstrong could play in his more advanced role but given Mcginn’s form in the last few games I’m not sure that’d be a favoured option?

I might be wrong, but from what little I have seen of Aston Villa this season McGinn has been playing deeper in midfield, and done well.

McGinn presses the ball very well, so him dropping back into a deeper role could help take some of the pressure off the defence. I'd be quite happy with that tbh. Would allow for Christie/Armstrong to play in front.

32 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Liam Cooper looks like he might have pulled up injured in the warm up tonight. 

Aye ken doesny matter like, ad play Consi masel like deserves it eh. Gie the lad Shinnie a run oot in midfield like. Good tae see Stevie May banging them in again n aw like ken.

25 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

What is with the faux Scottish accent you affect when writing about players in the Scottish Premiership?

Reads like a decent impression of the standard confabulation one hears in the pubs of Stonehaven, before the conversation moves onto Brave Boris.

On 15/10/2020 at 16:43, craigkillie said:

The wing-backs need to hit lots of crosses in the 3-5-2, so I don't think having Tierney on his wrong side is ideal for that at all. He's a good right-back in a 4-4-2/4-5-1 because he has a player in front of him who takes on most of the responsbility for attacking, and he is supplemental to that. However, over all three games you've seen O'Donnell almost playing as a winger at times, with one of the midfielders (normally Jack) filling in for him when he goes forward. I don't think you can ask Tierney to do that.

I agree with this, you need the wing back to offer an attacking outlet and Tierney can't do that on the right.

A game that always sticks in my mind with him on the right is the 1-0 win against Slovakia in 2017. Tierney defended solidly throughout that game, although Slovakia did start to get a bit of joy down his side after Forrest was taken off and he had a winger with a lower defensive workrate ahead of him in Phillips. What he rarely did was offer an overlap in attack because he just isn't comfortable enough on his right foot to go outside, meaning Forrest and then Phillips found themselves having to cross from deep or go inside or backwards when a natural right footer at full back would have helped them out more. Anya then replaced Tierney, Slovakia's defence was immediately more stretched and it was Anya who put the cross in for the winner.

20 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Tom Cairney is playing regularly in the Premiership again this season and Barry Bannan is still a consistent performer in the Championship this season.

With Fleck injured and McLean not an automatic starter in the Championship, I think both Cairney & Bannan should come in.

Dominic Hyam is playing regularly in a back 3 in the Championship and Grant Hanley is back from injury. Both are worthy of consideration.

David Bardsley should be recalled at right back 

Tom Cairney hasn't started all the Fulham games either this year