Morton v Alloa - The return of the Championship!

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Don't know what the BBC pundits are on about.

The referee's decisions were 100% wrong. I've got video evidence to back Peter up plus he didn't even mention the handball that was ignored.

Taggart gets kicked after he gives the ball away (foul) then Morton come up the field and Stevie pulls the boy back.

The sending off for Morton in itself is highly questionable. If Alan Newlands was a player he'd have been subbed.

27 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Don't know what the BBC pundits are on about.

The referee's decisions were 100% wrong. I've got video evidence to back Peter up plus he didn't even mention the handball that was ignored.

Taggart gets kicked after he gives the ball away (foul) then Morton come up the field and Stevie pulls the boy back.

The sending off for Morton in itself is highly questionable. If Alan Newlands was a player he'd have been subbed.

I doubt the SPFL will give a toss about Alloa's cameraman trying to give hauners to their team's permaraging manager tbh. IIRC Grant had a similar meltdown after the first meeting last season as well, which suggests that he's just a bad loser.

Eight more scrappy wins like that and we can call the season and prepare for the new regime.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

I doubt the SPFL will give a toss about Alloa's cameraman trying to give hauners to their team's permaraging manager tbh. IIRC Grant had a similar meltdown after the first meeting last season as well, which suggests that he's just a bad loser.

Except we've got off with it before based on them looking at the videos and going oh he got it wrong...

Peter Grant's a Celtic man... of course he's a bad loser.

1 hour ago, mcqbez said:

Got to say the Morton stream is by far the best away one I’ve seen yet..

Guess that's what happens after you lose all your first game's revenue by making a monumental arse of it but astonishing to read nonetheless.

Excellence in technology and a clean sheet for that defence. A rare vintage day for GMFC Ltd.

d082eb68-ac02-4ab0-93b7-90444d382827.jpg.9410479ee3f9e103e5ceb51c8cf8c508.jpg

8 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Excellent highlights, m8.

Can't really see what the fuss is about with the ref. Both of our penalty calls were very soft, we'd have been lucky to get either. Think he got both reds right too.

Robbo should definitely taken a yellow for the goal, but that's not how he plays the game.

Seeing it again I reckon the Alloa appeal right at the start is a penalty, but that handball shout is absolutely desperate stuff. "Clear as day" :lol:

We should have buried the game with the pressure we had at 1-0 with a man advantage, and it was good to see the flexibility we had in attack that made it hard to define the formation. At times 3-4-2-1 with Nesbitt and McPake behind Orsi, at times Salkeld pushing up to play alongside Orsi with Nesbitt dropping back to the right in a 3-4-1-2. Having that many players pressing in the opposition half was really effective in rattling Alloa first half and stopping them settling into the game. There's not enough of an end product for the possession we had but I'm confident that'll come.

It does leave a lot of space though and I'm not sure we'll get away with that every week. Even when it was 11 v 10 there were a couple of times Alloa broke up the park and there were acres of space out wide with Nesbitt, Muirhead and Salkeld all being up the park, for all that Alloa didn't manage to create anything at that stage of the game.

The concern is the way we shat the bed as soon as it went 10 v 10. Sitting deep in those circumstances could be seen as good game management if you close the game down and calmly see it out, but it was total panic and we coughed up three sitters through the defence being a mess whenever a cross came into the box. The marking for Trouten's header off the bar was especially bad and we won't escape with a clean sheet often with defending like that. There's still a lot to work on defensively.

15 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Seeing it again I reckon the Alloa appeal right at the start is a penalty, but that handball shout is absolutely desperate stuff. "Clear as day" :lol:

I mean the thought did cross my mind Ross MacIver must have  a some pair of tits for the ball to bounce up off his chest like that.

In the old rules, for the record the version I prefer, that's not a deliberate handball: play on.

Under the current silhouette, any touch off an arm, noone knows what the rule; that's hit his hand: penalty. 

Thought again we played good football in the first half. Totally lost it in the second until McPake got sent off, he had caused us problems all day. Stevie’s red card for us is silly too, slightly harsh but warranted to yellows.

Speaks volumes of the fitness and desire of the team that TonTV are saying Morton are tired countless times as we press near the end. We’re the part-timers!

Scougall is a must start if fully fit next week. He looked very dangerous when he came on. Taggart was probably our best player though. Everything started with him and he looked at ease at the back. Lynch alongside him looked fine too despite a few wayward passes. Keeper untested but assured!

Goals a freak big punt up goal and like mentioned above, Robbo should just bring him down. We were lucky to keep it 1-0 at points but think we merited a draw as a whole.

Really, really need another striking option. Thomson struggled yesterday and although Buchanan made a difference, still missed a glorious opportunity.

Disappointed with nothing on the board but plenty positives! We play football the right way, don’t get caught up in changing it or going long and hopefully with another striker, we’ll start burying chances.

We played some good stuff at times but only in patches. Mortons tactics and shape were good, they pressed the hell out of us in our own half and didnt really allow us to get a foothold and play. But Grant had done his homework, knew this would happen and the diagonal long outlet to Connelly appeared to be what he was looking for. But Mortons defence held quite firm there.

In first half Cawley looked the only Alloa player capable of putting his foot on the ball and really kicking off creative moves to play through them. Scougall will undoubtedly play every week once fully fit.

I was frustrated by Ray Grant playing the ball back the way too often but again credit to Morton for the way they closed the space, giving no real team mates for Grant to aim for 

Thought the early incident was a penalty for Alloa, probably didnt help that it occurred in opening minutes. Later in the game might have got that.

For the goal I could see what Robbo was trying to do...jockeying the player to buy our defence a bit of time. He succeeded to a point but it was a terrific through ball.

We do need a pacier option up top. Thought Thomson did fine on terms of service he got- a couple of good touches to build attacks. Buchanan also fine. But need to pull and stretch defences more.

I too thought the same as kieren when Morton commentators said they were tiring. However in their defence, the effort they put in to stifle us for long spells would have taken its toll eventually. They did sit deep in closing stages and probably a wee bit fortunate Alloa didnt convert one of those chances to level it. On the whole though, Morton commentators had some great patter. Being one sided is to be expected but there were some good one liners in there and they were clearly enjoying themselves.

Overall I think Morton probably did edge it, but certainly not by a huge margin. And as stated we really should have taken one of those chances towards the end.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

4 hours ago, printer said:

Excellent highlights, m8.

Can't really see what the fuss is about with the ref. Both of our penalty calls were very soft, we'd have been lucky to get either. Think he got both reds right too.

Robbo should definitely taken a yellow for the goal, but that's not how he plays the game.

Actually now that I've seen the Alloa highlights I don't think Taggart did touch the ball. McPake has definitely not dived there. At first I thought corner but that might have been a pen. Either way the 2nd yellow was wrong.