Morton v Alloa - The return of the Championship!

Haven't noticed a match thread anywhere for this one, so what with the League Cup now being out of the way, it's time to focus on the real stuff.

I notice Alloa have had some decent results in the League Cup, and are running with many of the same squad which has done so well for them the last few seasons. Lost a couple of big players in Flannigan and O'Hara, but Stefan Scougall on paper looks a great signing.

Morton have a lot of new boys, especially at the back and in goals, so really unsure of how we're going to play or the system we're going to run with. It's likely to be a 3-5-2/3-4-3 system, and I have my concerns where goals are going to come from having lost our 2 tops goalscorers from last season in McHugh and Cadden. 

Really looking forward to it. Streaming seems to have ironed out many of the problems from the first game too, so fingers cross that continues and develops over the next few games.

Back three definitely suits our defensive options better, but to accommodate McPake and Nesbitt in the team it really needs to be a 3-4-3 which might leave us short in the middle of the park and there are question marks over how good Salkeld would be defensively as the right wing back. Suppose Hopkin might just stick Nesbitt at wing back and give no fucks about defending if he's intending to approach this season by winning 5-4 every week, which would at least allow three in the middle of the park with McPake off a striker as well, but has the downside of being insane.

Back four allows us better balance in midfield, but then we'd have to hope Ledger is fine at right back and Fjortoft would be carrying McGinty at centre back by himself, whereas in the three we can put McAlister there or at least have two centre backs covering if McGinty still starts.

5 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Looking forward to it but unsure of what to really expect from Alloa. Comfortably beat them at the start of last season but then there was obviously the 4-4. Difficult one to call. 

Difficult to really take any indications from those games forward.

In the 4 1 game we had a proper good spell in that opening half then a period of madness followed with our captain getting sent off. I though Morton manager got his tactics spot on in that game though. On that showing I expected Morton to push on and have a really good season.

In the 4 4 game the opposite happened. Again we had a spell where we lost it at the back, but Hopkin sat his team deep, invited pressure and we cracked them to leave with a point. 

Our record overall in more recent times at Cappielow is actually pretty good. Our main concern is the goalkeeper and whether Parry will be fit for the game after leaving the field injured against Edinburgh City midweek. Other than that we've looked pretty good in all the Betfred games in terms of shape and organisation.

Almost impossible to pick our team, but, based on what Hopkin has done so far, and taking account of fitness, most likely some weird kind of 3-4-2-1

--------------McAdams-------------

---Ledger---Fjortoft---McGinty---

Salkeld-Jacobs-McAlister-Strapp

--------Nesbitt----McPake---------

----------------Orsi-------------------

Toss up between Orsi and Maciver up front and McPake might start on the bench (which the supporters won't like, but you can see it happening), with Colville joining the middle two.

4-3-2-1 would be Salkeld out, Colville in.

Can't decide if it's a positive or a reflection on the shape of the squad, but, for the first time in a long time, we might have some good players not even make the bench.

Talking of the bench, still can't believe we look like going into a league campaign with only one keeper. Mental.

15 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Almost impossible to pick our team, but, based on what Hopkin has done so far, and taking account of fitness, most likely some weird kind of 3-4-2-1

--------------McAdams-------------

---Ledger---Fjortoft---McGinty---

Salkeld-Jacobs-McAlister-Strapp

--------Nesbitt----McPake---------

----------------Orsi-------------------

Toss up between Orsi and Maciver up front and McPake might start on the bench (which the supporters won't like, but you can see it happening), with Colville joining the middle two.

4-3-2-1 would be Salkeld out, Colville in.

Can't decide if it's a positive or a reflection on the shape of the squad, but, for the first time in a long time, we might have some good players not even make the bench.

Talking of the bench, still can't believe we look like going into a league campaign with only one keeper. Mental.

There is no way McPake will be on the bench, he's ran the show whenever he's been on the park, if he is then Hopkin is a f*cking moron. I think we would be better going 4 at the back and move Ledger over to RB, we really need to find a way to have both Nesbitt and McPake in the starting 11 as Orsi is pretty stinking up top! So with the 4 at the back we can stick 3 behind Orsi with Jim and Jacobs holding.

Good to have the league business back, looking forward to it! 

Having been initially a bit pessimistic about our prospects with Iain Flannigan retiring and Kevin O'Hara leaving, plus some really good loanees going back to their clubs, I've been encouraged by the pre-season and Betfred Cup. The team have looked fit and organised and there have been promising signs from the new players.

The only downside, and it was a big one, was Parry going off injured on Tuesday night. I don't know what his situation is but if he is looking at another extended spell out then the manager has a big gap to fill. That 4-4 game last season was a very good example of the importance of a settled keeper who knows his defence and vice versa.

Anyway, looking forward to it and hoping the Morton stream will do the job. 

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Robbie fucking Muirhead.

McLean ahead of Ledger is a bold call as well.

It's quite astonishing that Robbie Muirhead is still making a living from the game.

I thought Ledger brought us a bit more mobility at the back the other night. Don't imagine we'll see much of that from McLean. Perhaps we'll see Fjortoft move out to the right of the back three.