St Mirren v Motherwell 17/10

Against QoS we had 7 subs. This week we added Finlayson (after isolation) and welcomed back Dennis after injury giving us a squad of 20 fit players. As we only have 11 fit players today and 3 out with positive tests that implies 6 are out due to self isolation.

I think the question is not could St Mirren field a team, or do they not have enough players including those from the youth team. To me they clearly did not want to field an under strength team which begs the question who’s in control and how acceptable is it to call  a game off with hours to go, Killy went down the same line against us. At some stage someone has to get a grip of this or it’s just going to get worse. 

4 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I think the question is not could St Mirren field a team, or do they not have enough players including those from the youth team. To me they clearly did not want to field an under strength team which begs the question who’s in control and how acceptable is it to call  a game off with hours to go, Killy went down the same line against us. At some stage someone has to get a grip of this or it’s just going to get worse. 

Youth players are not being tested so cannot be pulled into a squad at short notice. We only had 11 players available today including 3 keepers. The current rules are 13 players are required to start a game so we could not field a side.

Situation is shite for everyone and a rule as to postponement or concede will have to be made soon. .

4 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Youth players are not being tested so cannot be pulled into a squad at short notice. We only had 11 players available today including 3 keepers. The current rules are 13 players are required to start a game so we could not field a side.

Situation is shite for everyone and a rule as to postponement or concede will have to be made soon. .

Something certainly needs to be done for sure, don’t get me wrong I don’t think the season will be finished again but while it’s still running we can’t carry on with game’s called off at the last minute like this. Not saying St Mirren did anything wrong today but it’s going to get too easy for clubs to call for postponements using Covid as an excuse if they are not careful.  

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Something certainly needs to be done for sure, don’t get me wrong I don’t think the season will be finished again but while it’s still running we can’t carry on with game’s called off at the last minute like this. Not saying St Mirren did anything wrong today but it’s going to get too easy for clubs to call for postponements using Covid as an excuse if they are not careful.  

I could be wrong here, but if you have teams (close contact) training together and if just one player contracts covid wouldn't that necessitate many others isolating?

The financial situation of covid had already led to many squads being 2 or 3 players lighter than last season.

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

So are you saying the Positive tests are faked, or do you think we are lying about the players that need to go into self isolation?

6 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Think some of you guys need to read the post again 

Will do chief....let's do this.

1 hour ago, Well Well said:

Yeah they only have 12 registered players fit and 4 of them are keepers. Another first team player has Covid. This is going to cause a pile up of fixtures and guarantee whatever way it gets sorted it will be to our detriment it always is. How many times is that St. Mirren have had games cancelled and players still getting Covid?.

Yeah...It's still one.

In my opinion you cannot punish a team unless players have been proven to be not following SPFL guidance and protocols regarding Covid safety / bubbles etc. 

However other teams should not be inconvenienced adversely either. 

I know it is controversial but I would re - schedule games but ensure those that had originally tested positive were not able to play in those re-scheduled games.  

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

So are you saying the Positive tests are faked, or do you think we are lying about the players that need to go into self isolation?

As I said  not saying that St Mirren have done anything wrong. However moving forward it’s obvious that any club that’s going into a game with a depleted  squad could pull the Covid line. They obviously need to look at each case on an individual basis but over and above that know where they are going on a general basis. Look supporters of every club will naturally defend their own but we all know where this could go without leadership.

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

In my opinion you cannot punish a team unless players have been proven to be not following SPFL guidance and protocols regarding Covid safety / bubbles etc. 

However other teams should not be inconvenienced adversely either. 

I know it is controversial but I would re - schedule games but ensure those that had originally tested positive were not able to play in those re-scheduled games.  

Do we also start saying that players who are injured or suspended can't play if a game gets postponed due to a waterlogged pitch?

Just now, welldaft said:

I'd understand the argument if we had signed players in between now and when the game is rescheduled, but you can't step in the same river twice.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not if they didn't expect to be missing players through covid/self-isolation.

Sure. Admittedly I do not know the timelines on the testing. Given the first positive case announcement came on Thursday, presumably this was their planned testing for Saturday's game and a second round of targeted testing brought up today's announcement.

I would suggest if they have been running with two keepers on the bench in the last two games that supplementing their testing with some youth players may have been worthwhile.

If a whole bunch of players have been forced to quarantine today, maybe they have already been doing this.