St Mirren v Motherwell 17/10

I wonder what the long term plan for this kind of thing will be from the SPFL. Obviously there's all the chat about forfeiting games but is the alternative either to end up play about 3 games a week through winter to catch up, or just end up playing the season to a finish in however long that takes?

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

... but these call offs could have a detrimental impact on our season.

They'll certainly have an impact, purely because it's going to be a tight season in terms of available dates as it is, whether it's detrimental I suppose is up to fate..Obvs we will have to deal with that as well, but then we are reason it's called off so I doubt there will be many mourning our situation.

I was fully prepared for us to field an under strength side, but we could hardly fill our bench for the cup games down to injury so it's not just the covid that's taken our numbers below the required level.

Edited by Ric

We were struggling with injuries, so combined with the covid tests it was always going to be tight to get the "13 fit players".
Do I think we probably could have pushed those who are nearly back into the squad? Yeah, I have a feeling we probably could have.
Like who?

With the way the numbers of infections are going, the situation is only going to get worse, with more postponements in the future. 

As DJC has stated elsewhere, we could be the first team to achieve herd immunity.

Also, that's two weeks unbeaten.:rolleyes:

I wonder what the long term plan for this kind of thing will be from the SPFL. Obviously there's all the chat about forfeiting games but is the alternative either to end up play about 3 games a week through winter to catch up, or just end up playing the season to a finish in however long that takes?

Don’t see a single league game getting ‘forfeited’. There will just be a lot of midweek games and cram ins.

Also if the league got stopped for any reason I would see them playing it to a finish this time. 1. Cause they can’t relegate hearts by declaring it finished this time 2. Because they wouldnt have a new TV deal to appease so would be able to have more flexibility in starting next season.

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:
21 minutes ago, Ric said:
We were struggling with injuries, so combined with the covid tests it was always going to be tight to get the "13 fit players".
Do I think we probably could have pushed those who are nearly back into the squad? Yeah, I have a feeling we probably could have.

Like who?

From all the chat I believe both Dennis and Flynn could have been risked. If it was, for example, an important cup game I'm sure we could have made the numbers. As it is I'm sure Goodwin has thought that seeing as the SPFL had forced us to play with no registered keeper, then he's not going to risk his players in order to fulfil this fixture.

I'm not putting down some conspiracy theory here, just musing that if push came to shove the numbers might have been found.

To Ric's point earlier about forcing players back, presumably they will confirm the amount of players out with Covid, out due to quarantine and out due to injury.

Clearly if a large part of the squad has been ruled out at the last minute due to the first two, there can be no argument against the postponement.

If St. Mirren have a smaller squad due to injuries, they could have presumably fleshed it out with youth players getting a test earlier in the week? 

3 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

..they could have presumably fleshed it out with youth players getting a test earlier in the week? 

I think Killie had the same issue with non first team players not being in the same testing bubble.

10 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

To Ric's point earlier about forcing players back, presumably they will confirm the amount of players out with Covid, out due to quarantine and out due to injury.

Clearly if a large part of the squad has been ruled out at the last minute due to the first two, there can be no argument against the postponement.

If St. Mirren have a smaller squad due to injuries, they could have presumably fleshed it out with youth players getting a test earlier in the week? 

Not if they didn't expect to be missing players through covid/self-isolation.

Seriously how is this the clubs fault? 

You’d think he was in Paisley about to head down to the ground. Reality is he’s sitting in his house.
The money paid will be valid for the rearranged fixture.
No harm no foul. Just an inevitable occurrence when football is played during a pandemic.

From all the chat I believe both Dennis and Flynn could have been risked. If it was, for example, an important cup game I'm sure we could have made the numbers. As it is I'm sure Goodwin has thought that seeing as the SPFL had forced us to play with no registered keeper, then he's not going to risk his players in order to fulfil this fixture.
I'm not putting down some conspiracy theory here, just musing that if push came to shove the numbers might have been found.
Dennis was in the squad for today but Flynn pulled a hamstring and will be out for another few weeks. Injuries are not much of a problem now as Flynn is the only one. Players being positive and in isolation is the biggest problem. Finlayson and Mason will help but how many are now in isolation due to the current 3 positives?

2 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

This doesn’t inconvenience you half as much as if a game were to be called off minutes prior to kick off due to weather. Wind your neck in, some things are more important and we haven’t the luxury of 30 man squad.

As Ropy said - let us vent. Some are able to do it more eloquently and less insultingly. Others are not. 

I doubt most Well fans would be as disappointed if it was not us being impacted again. It will be a month between games by the time we play Ross County next weekend.  This is unlikely to prove beneficial to Motherwell in the long run and you can guarantee that in the next few weeks we will have a few key players affected and probably need to play with a weakened team. Then the real fun and games will start. 

Could be that a player tested positive yesterday and it has taken until today for the Test and Protect/Track and Trace team to speak to said player, resulting in others only now being told they have to self isolate as a result.