Scotland v Czech Republic (UEFA Nations League)

King Kebab

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

Fantastic. I know the fixtures are kinder since the Nations League involves playing teams around your standard but this is still a fair record to get to.

All these games were competitive, any friendlies back in 87?

I post on here regularly, and I'm usually one of the more upbeat positive posters. And hate the constant criticism of individual players.
All im criticising here is the formation and tactics. Not the effort or intention.
Im glad we won of course, but I think we're literally cruising for a bruising. As my old gran used to say. 
I think we could line up much better and a backs against the wall jammy win doesn't make me think otherwise.
If its the 5 hes going with i think he should play Tierney on the right rather than left of the back 3.
But I'd rather go back to the 4231 which we were doing well with. The early games playing that against excellent teams like Belgium and Russia give a false reflection. We were getting positive results playing like that at the end of the campaign.
Thinking back, we did get encouraging results with 4231 Vs Cyprus away and Kazakhstan home. Cyprus home was a bit more desperate tho and every other game (San Marino aside) we were pulverised. It's the defensive vulnerability that SC is trying to fix here. And it's evidently working. The opposition are getting fewer chances and the ones they are getting they are snatching at.

I expect we will play 4231 or some variation of it again, but in the right games and not right now. The here and now is about making sure we give ourselves the best possible chance of reaching Euro 2021. As things stand that means solidifying the "Tartan Testudo" / "Steve Clarke Schiltron" / [insert other pish patter here] system.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

I was just looking this up. Five friendlies Hungary 2-0, Saudi Arabia 2-2, Malta 1-1, Spain 0-0 and Colombia 0-0. Three competitive were Belgium 2-0, Bulgaria 1-0 and Luxembourg 0-0.

15 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

That is a fair point, but we hadn't been quite stripped to the extent of Slovakia.

I post on here regularly, and I'm usually one of the more upbeat positive posters. And hate the constant criticism of individual players.

All im criticising here is the formation and tactics. Not the effort or intention.

Im glad we won of course, but I think we're literally cruising for a bruising. As my old gran used to say. 

I think we could line up much better and a backs against the wall jammy win doesn't make me think otherwise.

If its the 5 hes going with i think he should play Tierney on the right rather than left of the back 3.

But I'd rather go back to the 4231 which we were doing well with. The early games playing that against excellent teams like Belgium and Russia give a false reflection. We were getting positive results playing like that at the end of the campaign.

There is a fair bit of truth in this. The results are great but we have been carrying massive amounts of luck. There are still an awful lot of questions about the shape of the team and if this formation really is the best way to make the most of our players. People are getting way too carried away. 

But f**k it, it is much more fun than getting pumped by Kazakhstan. More! 

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Thinking back, we did get encouraging results with 4231 Vs Cyprus away and Kazakhstan home. Cyprus home was a bit more desperate tho and every other game (San Marino aside) we were pulverised. It's the defensive vulnerability that SC is trying to fix here. And it's evidently working. The opposition are getting fewer chances and the ones they are getting they are snatching at.

I expect we will play 4231 or some variation of it again, but in the right games and not right now. The here and now is about making sure we give ourselves the best possible chance of reaching Euro 2021. As things stand that means solidifying the "Tartan Testudo" / "Steve Clarke Schiltron" / [insert other pish patter here] system.

Meh, thats some fair points.

Cyprus at home we just sat too deep.

Im not convinced at all, I dont think it evidently is working.

I like some of it, fraser has been great upfront. Mctominay has done really well the last couple of games.

I just think it stinks and were gonna get a wake up call.

9 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

We will change the formation for the knockout stages of the Euros, in it to win it 

Just now, Waspie said:

There is a fair bit of truth in this. The results are great but we have been carrying massive amounts of luck. There are still an awful lot of questions about the shape of the team and if this formation really is the best way to make the most of our players. People are getting way too carried away. 

Believe me, im not hankering after the good old days of getting pumped by Kazakhstan either.

As far as I can tell Scotland win the group with any of the above permutations:

1) Scotland win either of the two remaining games

2) Scotland draw both of the remaining games

3) Czech Republic and Israel draw

4) Scotland/Israel draw and Israel beat Czech Republic

5) Czech Republic fail to beat Slovakia and Israel fail to win both of their remaining games

19 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Fantastic. I know the fixtures are kinder since the Nations League involves playing teams around your standard but this is still a fair record to get to.

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

2-0 vs Hungary (friendly)

2-0 vs Belgium (Euro 88 qualifying)

1-0 vs Bulgaria (Euro 88 qualifying)

0-0 vs Luxembourg (Euro 88 qualifying)

2-2- vs Saudi Arabia (friendly)

1-1 vs Malta (friendly)

0-0 vs Spain (friendly)

0-0 vs Colombia (Rous Cup)*

*Not a mistake

We can and will get a scudding at some point, but on percentages, most teams at and around our level will struggle against our stuffy defensive setup.

The luck thing is interesting. Yes the Czech dude near the end should clearly have netted, but I'm certain that their desperation played a part in his miss. Had they been 4-0 up and strolling, our defenders would be broken and nowhere near him, he dinks that in and jogs away to the acclaim of his teammates.

3 minutes ago, red23 said:

Well, exactly how it sounded on radio. The highlights showed we were being utterly tanked. Play like that against Serbia it'll be 5-0

If Serbia play like they did in second half and we play like we did in the first we'll be booking our trip to Wembley during the half time break.  🙄

We can and will get a scudding at some point, but on percentages, most teams at and around our level will struggle against our stuffy defensive setup.The luck thing is interesting. Yes the Czech dude near the end should clearly have netted, but I'm certain that their desperation played a part in his miss. Had they been 4-0 up and strolling, our defenders would be broken and nowhere near him, he dinks that in and jogs away to the acclaim of his teammates.

Hopefully we continue our upward trajectory and improve all over the pitch with this set up, when we win this group we go up to the Group A level and can we honestly say that this set up as it stands will be enough???
As you said we are playing teams at our level at the moment and technically Group A WILL be our level - we will have earned our place there, but some of the big boys in Group A will be looking to swat us aside with ease!!!

Hopefully we continue our upward trajectory and improve all over the pitch with this set up, when we win this group we go up to the Group A level and can we honestly say that this set up as it stands will be enough???

As you said we are playing teams at our level at the moment and technically Group A WILL be our level - we will have earned our place there, but some of the big boys in Group A will be looking to swat us aside with ease!!!

Can't disagree. Great problem to have tho! 

ETA: I remember you, me and everyone being ecstatic about the 4-0 away win Vs Albania. That was achieved with sexytime football. But how many games since, using similar tactics, have played out like that? I just think (having come round to it only ery recently) we have a better chance of short-medium term success this new SSC way.