Scotland v Czech Republic (UEFA Nations League)

King Kebab

Well, suppose it’s time for the “Match Thread”!!!

Really hope to see a direct continuation of our second half performance from Sunday night straight from the kickoff here, Clarke does seem to like to utilise his full squad in these close knit schedules but perhaps with only Fleck and Robertson missing it’s time for a bit of continuity here!!!

It’s either going to be great or it’s going to be a bit shit, but I’m still going for a Scotland win here!!!

A win would put us in a great position for the last two matches, with a win in Slovakia or Israel guaranteeing us to win the group.

Though I have no great desire to be promoted into a group of Netherlands, Portugal, and Switzerland any time soon, getting into Group A would effectively guarantee us a Pot 2 draw for the next Euros.  The difference that would make for our chances at direct qualification are huge.

I’m expecting a draw tonight.  Even despite the disruption to this Czech team, they are no mugs.  Hopefully they’ve come over just wanting the game over, a bit like how Slovakia appeared to be.

It will be a different proposition this time, the Czech team have a lot of quality players in their team who are roughly the same level as Scotland. 

Like Scotland, they have several players playing in top leagues but none would be considered "stars" but are highly regarded for their work rate. The domestic players are regularly putting in decent performances in European competition.

First choice goalkeeper Vaclik, is currently keeping out Pavlenka, one of the top keepers in Germany and Kolar of Slavia who conceded 4 league goals last year and was the first visiting goalkeeper to keep a clean sheet at the Nou Camp in something like 9 seasons. 

In defense they have Coufal who recently joined West Ham. I didn't think he was good enough for the Premier league and on his debut was burned for pace a few times. worryingly he'll not be up against Robertson. Boril on the left is a very capable wing back with plenty of European experience and chips in with a few goals. I would expect Kudela to be one of the center halfs, again, plenty of experience but can be a bit slow and is partial to the odd mistake. Celustka will most likely be the other center half.

The midfield will have Soucek of West Ham, bit like Darren Ferguson, disrupts the play really well, covered the most distance in the permier league most weeks last season, big player that scores a lot of headed goals from set plays. Kral, his old team mate from Slavia reminds me of John McGinn, nuisance of a player, doesn't give opposition players a second on the ball. 

In the last match against Israel, they went with Provod, one ,of the brightest talents in Czech football currently and Lukas Masopust. The latter is a bit like James Forrest, occasionally brilliant and occasionally completely missing. The whole left hand side of the Czech team will be attacking so O'Donnell will be in for a game. 

The forwards are not what you would describe as prolific though, Patrik Schick was not named in the squad and they will most likely go with Burnley forward Vydra. I would expect any Czech goals to come from other areas of the team. 

McGinn and Kral should be a good battle. I am not sure if there is anyone in the Scotland team as physical as Soucek in the midfield. I don't think there will be a lot of goals in the Czech team though. Either team to win by a goal. 

43 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

It will be a different proposition this time, the Czech team have a lot of quality players in their team who are roughly the same level as Scotland. 

Like Scotland, they have several players playing in top leagues but none would be considered "stars" but are highly regarded for their work rate. The domestic players are regularly putting in decent performances in European competition.

First choice goalkeeper Vaclik, is currently keeping out Pavlenka, one of the top keepers in Germany and Kolar of Slavia who conceded 4 league goals last year and was the first visiting goalkeeper to keep a clean sheet at the Nou Camp in something like 9 seasons. 

In defense they have Coufal who recently joined West Ham. I didn't think he was good enough for the Premier league and on his debut was burned for pace a few times. worryingly he'll not be up against Robertson. Boril on the left is a very capable wing back with plenty of European experience and chips in with a few goals. I would expect Kudela to be one of the center halfs, again, plenty of experience but can be a bit slow and is partial to the odd mistake. Celustka will most likely be the other center half.

The midfield will have Soucek of West Ham, bit like Darren Ferguson, disrupts the play really well, covered the most distance in the permier league most weeks last season, big player that scores a lot of headed goals from set plays. Kral, his old team mate from Slavia reminds me of John McGinn, nuisance of a player, doesn't give opposition players a second on the ball. 

In the last match against Israel, they went with Provod, one ,of the brightest talents in Czech football currently and Lukas Masopust. The latter is a bit like James Forrest, occasionally brilliant and occasionally completely missing. The whole left hand side of the Czech team will be attacking so O'Donnell will be in for a game. 

The forwards are not what you would describe as prolific though, Patrik Schick was not named in the squad and they will most likely go with Burnley forward Vydra. I would expect any Czech goals to come from other areas of the team. 

McGinn and Kral should be a good battle. I am not sure if there is anyone in the Scotland team as physical as Soucek in the midfield. I don't think there will be a lot of goals in the Czech team though. Either team to win by a goal. 

Quality analysis but how the hell do you know so much about Czech football

image.thumb.jpeg.646446d7ddc0a1930f3bacbf8afac4ae.jpeg

Assuming we’re keeping the same shape this is how I’d go, Gallagher may well play ahead of Porteous but I’ve gone with the assumption him and O’Donnell will get a rest.

McBurnie deserves a start after he looked good off the bench on Sunday.

image.thumb.jpeg.646446d7ddc0a1930f3bacbf8afac4ae.jpeg
Assuming we’re keeping the same shape this is how I’d go, Gallagher may well play ahead of Porteous but I’ve gone with the assumption him and O’Donnell will get a rest.
McBurnie deserves a start after he looked good off the bench on Sunday.

Fleck has been ruled out with a back injury

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Quality analysis but how the hell do you know so much about Czech football

I was a season ticket holder at Slavia Prague for a few years, I started following them after my first game in 2009. I still try to attend a dozen games a season when I can, I no longer live there but go out to see my girlfriend regularly and try to coordinate that with a home game or I'll go and watch Bohemians with a couple of mates who are season ticket holders. 

The Czech league games are all streamed by O2 CZ so I've managed to see all the Slavia games and 1-2 others since March. 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

I was a season ticket holder at Slavia Prague for a few years, I started following them after my first game in 2009. I still try to attend a dozen games a season when I can, I no longer live there but go out to see my girlfriend regularly and try to coordinate that with a home game or I'll go and watch Bohemians with a couple of mates who are season ticket holders. 

The Czech league games are all streamed by O2 CZ so I've managed to see all the Slavia games and 1-2 others since March. 

Very interesting.  We seem to have a few Czech based people on here.  

12 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Very interesting.  We seem to have a few Czech based people on here.  

There is a large Celtic supporting group in Prague, maybe 20-30 that meet up every weekend to watch a stream somewhere. Don't know if any of them are on here though. 

I started watching Slavia because the first time I went to a game was Slavia in the Europa League against Valencia in David Silva's last season. I moved out with work a few months later and started going to watch them regularly.  Over that time they have almost went bust, nearly relegated, been taken over by the Chinese State, won three leagues, a double and played in the Champions league, which I missed because I'd given up my season ticket. 

Now I try and coordinate my trips out, outwith covid, so that I can make Ayr home games and Slava home games. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Wiz Khalifa GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

I hope you're doing some scouting for the "super" !!