Next SNP leader

git-intae-thum

10 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Why would he say Yes?

What does he have to gain from it?

Is there any legal reason for him to grant a referendum or will he just keep pedalling the ‘once in a generation’ patter?

Who knows? He might need the SNP vote to a squash a Tory rebellion on something. He was quite willing to accept a border on the Irish Sea when it suited. And electorally neither the Tories nor Labour have any real motive for holding onto Scotland, especially with an increasingly dwindling vote. 

25 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

I mean I don’t have any steadfast answer for you tbh, as I said it’s my hot take but I just think it’s the politics of it and the dam will burst next year. Maybe that’s wishful thinking on my part, maybe not. 

But if you look at the language BJ has used on it, it’s already starting to soften ever so slightly and I am making an educated guess that they know it’s coming and are preparing for it. I’m more concerned about a stitch up out of the two scenarios.  

Btw, I can completely understand why people are anxious about it and telling the SNP to ‘get on with it’, ‘whaurs plan b’ etc. But people need to remember two things; Plan A is working at the moment in convincing people of the merits of Scottish Indy, so why change tact? And the pandemic, whilst probably beneficial to the SNP in showing contrasts of leadership, has thrown a spanner in the works of pretty much everything else. They’ve got to work through that. 

This is just it, Boris can point to COVID-19 and then Brexit and then no doubt some other issue like the trashed economy after COVID-19 and then the next crisis. There will never be a good time for Independence in the eyes of the current Tory government. I can appreciate this train of thought as I’m fairly pragmatic about it, but I also see that putting it off forever is milk and honey to Unionists. When will there be a good time for it?

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Who knows? He might need the SNP vote to a squash a Tory rebellion on something. He was quite willing to accept a border on the Irish Sea when it suited. And electorally neither the Tories nor Labour have any real motive for holding onto Scotland, especially with an increasingly dwindling vote. 

What Tory rebellion is going to see his 80 seat majority threatened? Is granting the SNP an Independence referendum going to help his popularity with Tories? It seems unlikely he would take that option. I think he would be seen as weak if he let the union die.

On 14/10/2020 at 01:33, git-intae-thum said:

Seems a reasonable enough question, given the current incumbent is struggling.

The unionist press have there powder dry and are ready to unleash the inevitable barrage, should the FM fail to do the honourable thing before the SP elections.

As above..... Who will the replacement be....and therefore who likely will be our first minister.

Unlike the previous first minister the incumbent has totally failed to nurture a successor and has carefully sidelined or excluded any potential political rivals.

Good for Mr and Mrs Murrell. Shite for independence!!!!

Therefore, when the fm has to face the inevitable, where does that leave us?

Who is next?

This thread seems to be moving a bit away from where it was intended to go.

Will Wee Nic just go on forever?

Who are the next likely candidates to be SNP leader?

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

This is just it, Boris can point to COVID-19 and then Brexit and then no doubt some other issue like the trashed economy after COVID-19 and then the next crisis. There will never be a good time for Independence in the eyes of the current Tory government. I can appreciate this train of thought as I’m fairly pragmatic about it, but I also see that putting it off forever is milk and honey to Unionists. When will there be a good time for it?

Well tbf the SNP said they were putting plans in place to have a referendum this year before the pandemic hit and ended any of that. I don’t really see any evidence of the SNP dragging their feet on Indy unnecessarily.   

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
6 hours ago, welshbairn said:
McSpreader and Malky doing a fine job promoting independence here, great work lads!

I'm not sure it's him that's this latest zoomer - this Clach clown can hardly string a sentence together.

Watch where you throw your toys, you could hit someone.

Amazing how anyone who fails to agree with is a zoomer or a clown.

🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

6 minutes ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Amazing how anyone who fails to agree with is a zoomer or a clown.

🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
I'm not sure it's him that's this latest zoomer - this Clach clown can hardly string a sentence together.

McSpreader was a seething illiterate mess as well tbf.

MUH UNION (not that bad forrin one the one with THIS flag!!!!)

21 hours ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

They! Hello, did not drag us out of the EU against my will.

You are NOT being treated as second class, you don’t know how well off you are

BARNETT FORMULA!

A government we did not vote for! it’s called democracy!

So why does Maragaret Covid get £80, 000 a year, and that useless lump of lard Bllackford, why are they at WM taking money?

Where do get this nonsense, this mythical SNP dreamy made complete rubbish that they will take away the NHS.

Complete and utter Fake News.

Then again, the SNP are full of fake news.

And you show true SNP colours , then why not  better  your life in the country you love across the border.

Yes they did, we (the majority of Scotland) voted against leaving... apologies if you class yourself as English.

Yes I am being treated as a second class citizen, Scotland is being ignored and treated with irrelevance.  Do you ever listen to PMQ's?  Do you watch as he walks out when Scotland's representative is talking.  

Barnett Formula... do you know how it works in this 'united nation'?

We are not given handouts, we pay more than we get.

So take your 'fake news' and do some reading.