Next SNP leader

git-intae-thum

42 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Either of these two in charge is not going to happen, because as you rightly suggest that would  bring about a noticeable fall in support for independence. There are several others I can think of who would be much more suited to take over, although I do also strongly believe that if  it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I was going off a hazy recollection of the betting. Paddy Power still lists them as 3rd and 4th favourites with Angus Robertson and Kate Forbes 1 and 2. 

Just now, NotThePars said:

I was going off a hazy recollection of the betting. Paddy Power still lists them as 3rd and 4th favourites with Angus Robertson and Kate Forbes 1 and 2. 

Two excellent choices, others I can think of would be Stephen Gethins or Mike Russell, but I'm reluctant to speculate on this while we have the best possible leader in place right now.

I think Sturgeon's unprecedented popularity is a factor in the SNP and independence polling at such unprecedented levels. It's nothing about the Scottish being uniquely simple, it's just the way we all associate political movements with personalities. Replace Sturgeon with Swinney or Cherry and I think there's a noticeable fall even if it's not necessarily below 50%.
Said on the other thread - apolitical women shifting because of Sturgeon.

31 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Relieved to see simple wee Skye hedgefunder crofter Ian Blackford doesn't even get a mention.

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

The odds for the next leader mean nothing anyway at the moment whether it be for Forbes, Blackford or whoever. There isn’t going to be a new leader for quite a while and events dear boy dictate all. 

Quite. The Baathist element would appear to be a bit niche.

IMG_5526.jpg

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

In fairness, it's very clear that she's not saying anything degrading when you actually stretch that 10 seconds of context to 15 seconds. A brutal point with a bad soundbite but her overall point was so basic (i.e. we don't have a pre-determined political view point that will remain indefinitely) that no one could really disagree with it.  She was just really shite at politics.

44 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Am I the only one who would be pretty unenthusiastic about Kate Forbes being FM?

I think she could be a good leader but she's being touted by many for the wrong reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she's competent enough in her day job but she's not really had to go on the record and firm her politics up in any way yet (apart from the whole Christian stuff), you need some sort of ideology out there and being competent isn't enough in itself.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Am I the only one who would be pretty unenthusiastic about Kate Forbes being FM?

Well she probably won't have a look in in the near future so I wouldn't worry about it. Ask again in 8-10 years.

On 14/10/2020 at 13:36, MixuFruit said:

Do you think support for independence would be higher or lower with a different leader?

Persons and events out with have done all the damage to the union. That is the reason we are now nudging 55% to 60%.

I don't think the leader of the SNP has had to do too much in fairness. Just avoid any absolute howlers.....eg like telling porkies to the SP.

(If they have not avoided any of the said absolute howlers it will no doubt come out in the Yoon press at the worst possible time for independence supporters before the 2021 election)

Persons and events out with have done all the damage to the union. That is the reason we are now nudging 55% to 60%.
I don't think the leader of the SNP has had to do too much in fairness. Just avoid any absolute howlers.....eg like telling porkies to the SP.
(If they have not avoided any of the said absolute howlers it will no doubt come out in the Yoon press at the worst possible time for independence supporters before the 2021 election)

According to pollsters, Sturgeon is winning women voters

16 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yeh, i’d be deeply concerned about anyone who was a member of the free kirk being FM or PM. 

Baron Mackay of Clashfern was born in Edinburgh the son of a railway signalman, an active member and elder of the Free Kirk, highly intelligent with degrees in mathematics and law he was Lord Advocate the senior law officer in Scotland and he was subsequently appointed Lord Chancellor (1987 - 1997), at westminster.

The position of Lord Chancellor outranks a Prime Minister.

In the eighties he attended a couple of Roman Catholic Colleagues funerals and as a result the kirk suspended his membership and eldership, at a further hearing he was offered to recant but refused and left the church, deeply religious he now worships with the Inverness congregation of the Associated Presbyterian Church.

So a wee free has held high office.

Edited by SandyCromarty

16 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Baron Mackay of Clashfern was born in Edinburgh the son of a railway signalman, an active member and elder of the Free Kirk, highly intelligent with degrees in mathematics and law he was Lord Advocate the senior law officer in Scotland and he was subsequently appointed Lord Chancellor (1987 - 1997), at westminster.

The position of Lord Chancellor outranks a Prime Minister.

In the eighties he attended a couple of Roman Catholic Colleagues funerals and as a result the kirk suspended his membership and eldership, at a further hearing he was offered to recant but refused and left the church, deeply religious he now worships with the Inverness congregation of the Associated Presbyterian Church.

So a wee free has held high office.

He seems a decent man. My Mum and him had a mutual friend who was very ill, and they had a few chats on the phone.