Have you ever left a game mid way through? If so, why..

Just now, Ric said:

Interesting though, as you caught me left field, I wasn't thinking it was an international.

Not sure if leaving an international game is "better" or "worse" than leaving a club game.

I refuse to have the "Subway Loyal" tag attached to me for leaving a "Scotland Futures" game that included the likes of Craig Dargo in it

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

image.thumb.png.80ddc64f3b7acda1b4052ef2ed9d28f0.png

Hi mate, I come from the Far North, where our local SPFL team is 120 miles away. So you'll appreciate that folk up here don't have a local team.

The only team we have is Wick Academy, who everyone supports. But because the away games are literally five hours on a bus every two weeks, we tend to follow the league teams more passionately.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

7 is quite the limit, I think if I was to be leaving it would have perhaps been after the 4th or 5th going in against my team, but to stick it out until 7 and that being the straw that broke the camel's back is showing a certain level of 'indefatigability'.

Out of interest, and I could just google this, but what time did the 7th go in?

I done the googling for you and it was 73 mins in. My brother, his pal and I went to the pub. My dad stayed till the end and came in calling us fair weather fans. He's some man

25 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Left hunners of times.

Most memorable was Hearts charging something like £26 quid and them being 3-0 buy 25 mins or something.

A quid odd a minute. 

You might have saved money by phoning Babestation and asking them to give you a commentary.

12 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I was asked to vacate the away end at Pittodrie shortly before half time after a nice police man saw a half bottle of whisky in my pocket.  They let me go when they found my Aberdeen scarf in my pocket. Something to do with them only having one turnstile due to not ordering enough tickets, or something like that. All a bit hazy to be honest. 

Interestingly.. I, too, have been huckled out of Pittodrie! Alcohol was also an acerbating factor in that instance.

However, I'm more looking for voluntary exits than "assisted" ones.. ;)

9 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I done the googling for you and it was 73 mins in. My brother, his pal and I went to the pub. My dad stayed till the end and came in calling us fair weather fans. He's some man

I think I'd probably stick it out too if it reached that point. That's not throwing shade at your actions, btw, I think once it gets past a certain point it's more that you can say you were there for posterity reasons. I remember us getting our arses felt by Raith Rovers in the first or second game after we were relegated back down to the Championship. 6 or 7, iirc (again I could just google) but I stuck it out until the end thinking I'll never see us beaten by that amount by them ever again.

12 minutes ago, G51 said:

I refuse to have the "Subway Loyal" tag attached to me for leaving a "Scotland Futures" game that included the likes of Craig Dargo in it

Wonder what happened to him, he was scoring for fun at Inverness then just disappeared hardly to rattle the net again... :rolleyes:

Edited by Ric

Only a couple of times I've left early purely because of how pish we were. Usually because there's at least a few of us wanting to go to the pub afterwards so if you leave, you're only leaving to mill about outside for the rest of them.

I also find it therapeutic to vent my spleen at full time.

The main one that sticks out was 5-1`vs the 10 men of Morton, I was halfway down Love Street as the cheer went up for their 5th.

Funnier missing start of games, we were in Sportsters pre-match once and were playing Killie at home during the Tommy Craig and Gary Teale season....we sort of just decided as a group we'd rather get pished than go to the game and sort of 'forgot'. Soccer Saturday was on in the background and my mate pointed out that we'd just scored and early goal...then after 12 mins had scored a second. Guilt got the better of us and we jumped a taxi to see us winning 4-1 in one of the only non-shite days of that season.

On the other hand, during the tremendous season of 1999-2000, our driver suffered an angina attack before the supporters bus set off for Brockville. After making sure he was safely off to hospital and OK, the company managed to scramble another driver at short notice and we left about an hour later than planned. We got into Falkirk at just after 3 and the police let our bus unload right at the turnstiles since most fans were already in. We could tell by the sheer level of noise coming from inside the ground that we'd probably lost an early goal though and that proved to be the case. By the time we'd queued, paid our money and walked up the stairs, we got in just to see John Henry running away in celebration as he'd put the home side 2-0 up in the first 8 minutes on the way to a 3-1 doing.

I've left early, gone in late, stayed in the pub at home and away games. I've left and gone back in just to boo. I've cheered defeats. If there's a permutation or irrational response availab!e I did it.

It's the people who sit or stand through anything that are odd.

6 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

The highlands are staunch.

Love to have folk from the Central Belt, where there's a professional football team every 5 miles, telling someone from the Highlands what the "right" way to pick your football team is. 

Inverness and Dingwall are a two and a half hour drive away, and the train takes four hours. These are not local teams.

So here's the thing.. this was meant to be a light hearted thread about people saying "f**k it, this is shocking" and the funny stories behind the game that tipped them over the edge. Not some sort of virtue signalling nonsense about who supports whom and from where.

I mean, by all means turn this into a bun fight, but that wasn't the intention.

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Love to have folk from the Central Belt, where there's a professional football team every 5 miles, telling someone from the Highlands what the "right" way to pick your football team is. 

Inverness and Dingwall are a two and a half hour drive away, and the train takes four hours. These are not local teams.

I think if you'd chosen to follow say, East Fife, instead of one of the cheeks you wouldn't have had the opprobrium heaped on you. 

Just now, tamthebam said:

I think if you'd chosen to follow say, East Fife, instead of one of the cheeks you wouldn't have had the opprobrium heaped on you. 

How would someone from Wick be expected to follow East Fife in the 80's, 90's or 00's?

There aren't exactly many East Fife games on the telly. I'm all ears though.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Loads of times. Who sits there til the bitter end when on the end of a 5-0 hiding?

Non huff reasons include trying to catch last train out of Glasgow due to our pish public transport system.

The one regret is leaving 2-0 down v Celtic on about 88 minutes. We got one back as we were half up Dens 4d and Efe Ambrose headed in our equaliser as we reached the pub.

I wouldn't say "loads of times" but certainly more than once, starting with the Summer Cup Final play off against Hibs in 1965.

Two others that immediately come to mind both involved Coleraine v Glentoran. 0-3 down at home I sloped off to the pub with a good 20 minutes to go. 0-4 down at half time in a semi final (Ulster Cup?) a car load of us left Ballymena and were home before full time. Also the entire bus left The Oval before the end as we were 4-0 down to Portadown in an Irish Cup semi-final..

Come to think of it, maybe there were loads of times...