Have you ever left a game mid way through? If so, why..

I left when Ferguson got sent off at the semi final v Celtic in April 2019. After seeing many pumpings by them at Hampden, that one broke me a little. Didn't like a lot about the Aberdeen team at the time (Ball and Stewart in particular). It felt like that could have ended up any score with 9 men and I wasn't going to stick around to watch it  happen for the umpteenth time.

Left a thistle-killie game (first game after Steve Clarke appointment) at half time as Mrs Maths was going abroad on the Monday and couldn’t find her passport. This turned into a massive panic attack and I “had” to come home immediately, rather than waiting another 45minutes.

Didnt find the passport, naturally.

Edited by mathematics

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

Left a thistle-killie game (first game after Steve Clarke appointment) at half time as Mrs Maths was going abroad on the Monday and couldn’t find her passport. This turned into a massive panic attack and I “had” to come home immediately, rather than waiting another 45minutes.

Did she get away?

For years I took a pride in sticking out every game to the bitter end, no matter how dire. Now I'm old, I accept that's a stupid mentality. Particularly in Colorado where an evening game in early spring can easily see the temperatures down around the  -20c mark.

6 hours ago, Shotgun said:

For years I took a pride in sticking out every game to the bitter end, no matter how dire. Now I'm old, I accept that's a stupid mentality. Particularly in Colorado where an evening game in early spring can easily see the temperatures down around the  -20c mark.

Yeah, but at least the games are rapid.. ;)

For Dons fans, there have been many occasions vs Celtic over the years where breaking point was reached.

2 or 3 Hampden occasions over the past ten years and the first half mauling at Pittodrie last season spring to mind.

I normally just about tough it out, but the one that really got me was during Skovdahl 's calamitous first season - I think it ended up 0-6 at home - Weighorst setting up a goal with a rabona was bad enough, then Ian Wright came on as a sub and scored.............that was just too much and off I went.

I wanted to leave a game at Caley early as we were getting absolutely destroyed 3-0.  If I had a lift home I'd have gone after 25 minutes.

But then I would have missed a Steven McGarry thunder b*****d of a volley in injury time to equalise 3-3.  Possibly the greatest feeling at any derby game.

Even slaughtering them 4-0 and all but ensuring their relegation wasn't as good as that volley.  So I learned a lesson never to leave.

On 18/10/2020 at 18:56, mathematics said:

I can picture the scene in mathematics' house:

"Where's my passport? I left it under the bust of Charlie Manson.."

"I thought you put it in the Bible John biscuit tin..."

Spoiler

It wasn't in the Bible John biscuit tin. That just contained waffen thin mints....

4 hours ago, Loki said:

I wanted to leave a game at Caley early as we were getting absolutely destroyed 3-0.  If I had a lift home I'd have gone after 25 minutes.

But then I would have missed a Steven McGarry thunder b*****d of a volley in injury time to equalise 3-3.  Possibly the greatest feeling at any derby game.

Even with that game in mind, I left the game just after half time when we were 3 down and Keddie got sent off (unfairly) . Was the season where we reached the Scottish Cup Final. 

Also left a game against Airdrie at home that season. It must have been December, and it was fucking freezing. I'd parked the car behind the old Somerfield. Stood in The Jailend and was desperate for a boring 0-0 so I could leave early, however both sides forgot how to defend and it ended up 5-3 from memory. Remember being desperate to leave but goals kept flying in. Sure we were 4-2 up, and I was set to leave as I couldn't feel my toes anymore, then Airdrie scored. Thankfully we scored a minute or two after and I was happy to sod off with ten minutes to go. Got back to the carpark and it was like a skating rink. Car had frozen over, and the battery was dead, so just walked back down to the Mallard and spent most of the evening there. 

Also left most games early during the Willie McStay period. Dreadful.