Have you ever left a game mid way through? If so, why..

I went to Montrose v Peterhead by myself in February. We were 3-0 down after 27 mins and I ditched it and went back to the pub. Nearly regretted it when we got back to 4-3 with 10 mins to go, but it wasn't to be. Good decision and I'd do it again.
I also left Wembley when Scotland were 3-0 down the last time we played England a couple of years ago. I've better things to do with my time.

30 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

I went to Montrose v Peterhead by myself in February. We were 3-0 down after 27 mins and I ditched it and went back to the pub. Nearly regretted it when we got back to 4-3 with 10 mins to go, but it wasn't to be. Good decision and I'd do it again.
I also left Wembley when Scotland were 3-0 down the last time we played England a couple of years ago. I've better things to do with my time.

I once left the Masonic Lodge in Peterhead at half time of an Old Firm game.

As a West of Scotland boy it was too confusing that they were all supporting Celtic because they dislike Rangers.

I support neither nor am I in the lodge, it was just too confusing for my wee brain.

Edited by WilliamBragg

I think I have only left before half time once which was last season away to Dunfermline. 3-0 down and a man sent off after about 25 minutes. Around the peak of our poor spell and there was real anger in our group and just wanted out. Amazingly as we left there was a group of Thistle fans arriving late, we did ask if the knew the score right? They just shrugged their shoulders and went "well we're here now".

Apart from that I usually stay to the end incase a miracle happens and I miss the scenes.

I even stayed to the end of the infamous 7-0 pumping off Aberdeen in the Brushgate replay, just in case we scored 8 in the last minute.

5 hours ago, gannonball said:

I was in the biggest shithole pub (springfield vaults)  beside CP when I could hear the goal go in, it was that quiet I couldn’t decide if we had won a throw in or they scored.

The Springfield Vaults!!

If Monica Bellucci was the barmaid, pouring free pints whilst naked, I wouldn't go in there.

Actually, might have taken that a bit far. I'll get back to you...

On 13/10/2020 at 17:44, G51 said:

Feel free to enlighten me on how it would be possible to follow East Fife in those days from Caithness then. Bearing in mind that the good thing about football is actually watching it.

You're getting an awfy hard time here and I'm not really sure why :lol:

On 13/10/2020 at 17:49, welldaft said:

Only a few times...

The last one was a game around Xmas / December V Partick away a few years back and it was freezing. I slipped twice on Icy pavements once near Firhill and the other when I got back to Edinburgh. To be fair I had drunk a few Whisky’s to keep me warm. 

Left after half an hour to go back to Glasgow city centre for warmth and a few more beers at the Anchor Line before heading back to the Capital. 

We were 3-0 down after 30 minutes. Iirc we did get back to 3-2. But it was a good decision as being 3-0 down to Partick after only 30 mins is a red (and yellow) neck.

The night Connor Sammon tore us to shreds? Cerny managed to talk the referee into chalking off a perfectly legitimate Kipre goal too.

(I stayed the full 90 minutes and also fell several times in the streets of Maryhill)

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The night Connor Sammon tore us to shreds? Cerny managed to talk the referee into chalking off a perfectly legitimate Kipre goal too.

(I stayed the full 90 minutes and also fell several times in the streets of Maryhill)

Cerny is the best shithousing keeper of all time in Scotland.

Used to love a fake injury for Hamilton back in the day and the time he took to take a goal kick rivalled Rab Douglas in the shithousery stakes. He didn't even need to do the old, 'Aw, I'll take it to the other side for a better angle' routine that the amateurs in the field do.

On 14/10/2020 at 08:54, Ric said:

Remember, we weren't a league apart at that time, in fact I believe Falkirk finished above us the previous season. You're game us the old "the example that proves the rule". I would need to check but I honestly cannot think of a game we've come back from 3-0 down. I'm sure there must be one. We've come back 2-0 down lots of times but can't think of a 3-0.

Ahem...a game v...FALKIRK in 2002

3-0 down at HT we got it back to 3-3. They scored again but we equalised.

Lee MIller scored a hat-trick for them, Martin Cameron scored one for us.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=2002&GameID=200210260

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Used to love a fake injury for Hamilton back in the day and the time he took to take a goal kick rivalled Rab Douglas in the shithousery stakes. He didn't even need to do the old, 'Aw, I'll take it to the other side for a better angle' routine that the amateurs in the field do.

The decision I mentioned is a weird one, I'm sure it was to take us from 3-0 down to 3-1 so nobody was particularly arsed at the time. Then as we pulled it back to 3-2 and were struggling to find a 3rd folk gradually decided they were absolutely raging about it. 

Like you say, an absolute shithouser but you've got to respect the art IMO.

Can genuinely say, hand on heart, I’ve never left a game before the full time whistle. I don’t deserve a medal or anything like that, I just enjoy staying to the end. Will never understand fans that shuffle out with 5/10 minutes to go whilst a game sits at 1-0, 2-1 etc.

Obviously Ibrox is notorious for it, and it happens at Parkhead aswell but it’s not just the OF. At near enough every St. Mirren game I’ve been to over the last few years you get guys leaving a few minutes before the end. I can understand guys maybe in their 70s and older that want to get out the stand and watch the end of the game near the exit to avoid the crowding on the stairs, but actually leaving the ground seems bizarre to me. 

On 13/10/2020 at 21:57, D.A.F.C said:

Was in the other end, it was freezing and the incidents you mentioned made me stay. Most fans moved up into the upper rows for shelter.

I think that’s the only time I’ve seen a player ask to leave other than for an injury.

The injury seemed to rile our players up and Bell absolutely melted it out of anger. Some goal.

We seem to have a bit of a hex over Dundee at eep. 

Edit, only left two games early. Once at Easter road when we were winning in extra time to get the train. Turns out it waited anyway but ran from Easter road to haymarket with my dad and next door neighbour. 
Other time was 1-8 Celtic. Even Lennon scored. Walked out at 8.

Why did you run to Haymarket?  Did the train start there?

On 14/10/2020 at 07:50, TheScarf said:

No idea what your line of work is but one thing I've noticed living and working in the Highlands is that every manager or senior manager I've ever had who was from the central belt, didn't support one of the OF.  I've been managed by a Hibs fan, a Motherwell fan and a Raith fan, a few others who weren't really into football. 

No one of any power in any job I've worked has supported them. You could perhaps say they were of higher intelligence, more trustworthy, hence their loftier position.  Whereas the 'workies' were 95% OF fans, despite being Inverness born and bred. Going down to the canteen on a Monday morning after an Old Firm game was both horrific and hilarious, listening to all their shite putdowns to each other 

Interesting, I found the same from primary school onwards, the numbers supported Rangers, the ones that did better in class supported Motherwell.  My career was in IT management and less than one in 10 colleagues supported ‘one of them’

On 17/10/2020 at 01:57, Ludo*1 said:

Still absolutely seething at losing a game in Dingwall 1-0 to Accies where Cerny got away with a blatant handball about four yards out of his box.

As an addendum to the original question I wonder the level is of "leaving a game mid way through" in the modern sense - ie: switching off the stream in a huff.

Everything is easier virtually. You don't need to be watched by other fans as you storm out, and what's more you don't need to plead your case with the person at the turnstile in order to get back in!