Have you ever left a game mid way through? If so, why..

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The best thing about the Hurricanes was there extraordinary ability to come back from the brink.  I mean, to win every game 10-9, having being down 9-0 at half time, was unreal.

I enjoyed the opening sequence where a man in the sidecar of a motorbike headers the ball up to a man in a biplane. 

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The best thing about the Hurricanes was there extraordinary ability to come back from the brink.  I mean, to win every game 10-9, having being down 9-0 at half time, was unreal.

Football knowledge...

12 hours ago, velo army said:

I reckon having to leave a game early because your da always leaves a game early is one of those childhood wounds we get to talk about in therapy.

I can't tell you how cathartic it feels now that I get to just let him leave if he wants without having to go with him. He always leaves early. Even if there's still something in the game. He needs to "beat the traffic". The bloody traffic. Even when our home crowds were a bawhair above 2,000 he'd still leave as if he had something hugely important to do which would be ruined if it was put back by 10 minutes. I remember a couple of occasions where we missed equalising/winning goals as we were jogging away from the stadium like he'd planted explosives. Utter weirdo of a man (see also, having to be at the ground at 2 fuckin 30 so that we "miss the crush" that inevitably precedes a mid November home tie against Alloa).

The sins of the father, eh.

:lol: I love this post, especially the "like he'd planted explosives" bit.

Full of that bewildered resentment that gets mingled in with the affection.

20 hours ago, Ranter_McBanter said:

It's not Premiership but my old man had us leave early Hibs V AEK Athens, in his infinite wisdom "the game was finished".

Ultimately we lost the tie, but won the game. Missed Zitelli's goal. Still Spewing.

He has a habit of leaving early mind - Semi against Falkirk 3 - 0 down. Serves him right.

That game was the loudest Easter Road has ever been. If only Luna scored that header at the end. 

Sure a few of the AEK players went on to win the Euro's with Greece a few years later and their manager won the Euro's with Portugal a few years back. 

4 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Know a guy who left the cup final after Halliday's goal. Was on the train back to Edinburgh when we invaded the pitch. 

Ooooft. If I did that I think I'd give up football for life, single-handedly deprived himself of his favourite footballing moment possibly ever.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Ooooft. If I did that I think I'd give up football for life, single-handedly deprived himself of his favourite footballing moment possibly ever.

He constantly gets reminded about it every single game. 

I left Scotland 2 Liechtenstein 1 at about 70 odd minutes.  I was dying with the flu reached the point where I genuinely couldn't give a f**k about the result and just wanted to get home and in bed as soon as possible. 

A bit scunnered now as I don't think I've seen anything as late as a 90+6 minute winner since but I don't particularly regret my decision.

On this topic generally , I really don’t get why so many folk leave a game in which the scores are level or there’s only one goal in it, before the end.   And without any evidence whatsoever to back this up , I’m  guessing they’re also probably quick to moan about the costs involved in going to the game.

I get it for those who have to get to work or catch a train. But they can’t all have other more important things to leave for.

I can’t understand either the hundreds of Dons fans who leave early in those rare games where we’re winning comfortably, and can relax and enjoy the luxury of a guaranteed victory.....maybe even with the possibility of more goals for us....without the usual nail-biting, game-management-induced expectation that every loss of possession will inevitably lead to a defensive calamity or , more likely , a penalty being awarded against us by Thomson, Collum , Madden or whichever particular ref with a history of bias against us ...(Steven McLean being my own hate figure of choice).

4 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

That game was the loudest Easter Road has ever been. If only Luna scored that header at the end. 

Sure a few of the AEK players went on to win the Euro's with Greece a few years later and their manager won the Euro's with Portugal a few years back. 

The best atmosphere i have seen at ER by a considerable distance. Aye, AEK had some players the guy who came on and scored two goals was really a top player.

Not sure if i added this mentally but did we play the Champions League music pre-game?

5 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I left Scotland 2 Liechtenstein 1 at about 70 odd minutes.  I was dying with the flu reached the point where I genuinely couldn't give a f**k about the result and just wanted to get home and in bed as soon as possible. 

A bit scunnered now as I don't think I've seen anything as late as a 90+6 minute winner since but I don't particularly regret my decision.

You didn't miss any great celebrations, if that makes it any better.

The reaction was more one of relief, followed quickly by anger that we were made to feel that emotion after a sclaffed goal to beat Lichtenstein (who were the better team for a fair part of the game as I recall).

On 13/10/2020 at 20:48, Monkey Tennis said:

It's not a surprise at all.

It's depressingly predictable.

I have spent a lot of time in Munich since c 1990 and decided , much to my friend's shock and inability to understand, that I would follow 1860 rather than glory hunt watching & following Bayern. I think it is just a learned behaviour from watching Clyde.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

2 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

You didn't miss any great celebrations, if that makes it any better.

The reaction was more one of relief, followed quickly by anger that we were made to feel that emotion after a sclaffed goal to beat Lichtenstein (who were the better team for a fair part of the game as I recall).

I was in a pub in Aberdeen and the place went tonto when it went in. Then there was this awkward realisation that we went apeshit over a goal against Lichtenstein and we all had red necks.

As for leaving early I Used to do it once a season. Usually to meet a pal for a pint from a different bus at a midweek league game. 
3 games spring to mind over the years when I regret doing it however

Leaving at 1-1 under MON during a midweek game against Aberdeen, we were unbeaten that season and were 77 games unbeaten at Parkhead. Don't know why it made any difference me actually watching us get beat with an injury time winner but probably showed the complacency we had as fans under MON just expecting to win every game. I was in the biggest shithole pub (springfield vaults)  beside CP when I could hear the goal go in, it was that quiet I couldn’t decide if we had won a throw in or they scored.

Leaving early on the last game of the season Lennons first season where we ballsed up the league at Inverness a few games prior (insert Lennon kicking water bottle gif). Left with my dad and pal to go for a pint before the bus feeling a bit sorry for ourselves but can remember seeing the stadium bouncing doing the huddle on the tv in the pub despite us fucking up, the 3 of us kind of sheepishly just sipped and watched knowing we had made the wrong decision.

Leaving 3-1 down to Inter. I had broken my cardinal rule of not starting early before European games, I absolutely love them and normally like to arrive early in the ground sober and soak up the atmosphere. My pal had the half day so met him early and once 3-1 I could feel I needed some stodge to sober me up so went for a chips before the bus and before I knew it we had equalised to make it 3-3 as I tucked in to my first chip, was rageing and the bag got launched. I have now learned my lesson now from that.

Leaving at 1

9 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Indeed. I could hear the goal celebrations and Sunshine On Leith more clearly from my Elgin Terrace hovel than ever before, or since. It was rather impressive.

The ones that stick out are the aforementioned defeat, 6-2?, to St Mirren which we just knew relegated us. I was in the pub at Gilmour Street before the second half kicked off.

A game at Brockville early/mid 90's, 4-0 at half time and my mate was driving, it was also midweek so it was an easy choice.

3-0 at Wembley a few years ago. Left midway through the second half. Ironically we hadn't played too badly despite the scoreline. However I had to get back to South London on my own and wanted to avoid any queues/gloating England fans!

Ps. I saw the winner versus Lichtenstein. Jubilation quickly followed by mild embarrassment.

Edited by paulbrucerick

7 hours ago, Ranter_McBanter said:

The best atmosphere i have seen at ER by a considerable distance. Aye, AEK had some players the guy who came on and scored two goals was really a top player.

Not sure if i added this mentally but did we play the Champions League music pre-game?

Think we played 500 Miles before i'm sure.

Here's the game in question for the others to see.