Have you ever left a game mid way through? If so, why..

Just past half time but the first 6-2 Derby against Dundee. Mrs kept calling me thinking she was away to go into labour. Was just bloody braxton hicks and the wean never came till the 16th! 

Had to leave a few times cause the eldest was being insufferable even with bribes of sweeties etc. 

On 13/10/2020 at 16:33, G51 said:

Hi mate, I come from the Far North, where our local SPFL team is 120 miles away. So you'll appreciate that folk up here don't have a local team.

The only team we have is Wick Academy, who everyone supports. But because the away games are literally five hours on a bus every two weeks, we tend to follow the league teams more passionately.

I’m from Sutherland yet manage not to be a knuckle dragging glory hunter.

Edited by RH33

I left towards the end of Edinburgh City's umpteenth cup final defeat in a row to the smug Spartans. But where are they now, eh (well they're our landlords so a nice club who deserves all those cup wins really...)

I went up to Dundee the other year to watch Downfield v Dunbar only to find it postponed. So I found myself watching Dee v Saints at Dens instead. The notorious McCann v Wright game. Half the Derry left after the 3rd Saints goal, the rest of the Derry plus the Bobby Cox stand emptied after the 4th. Being a neutral I stayed to the end.

Sometimes you just stay at a game to the end for the sheer fun of watching a Trainwreck in front of your eyes - Hibs O Malmö 7* and Meadowbank 1 Killie 8 being examples of this 

*The predictive text spelled Malmö thus. I'm not that pretentious.

Back in the early 80s used to go sometimes go to Dens with a bluenose mate when United were away. Dundee vs Hibs in the middle of winter, freezing cold, 0-0 at half time with both teams lucky to get nil, genuinely the worst half of football ever seen. Just before half-time the snow started to come down; we looked at each other "This is shite". "Aye", "Pub?", "Aye".

Got to the pub; Barman "What's up lads, game aff?" , "Naw, just shite"

Spoiler

Turned out to be 0-0 at full time so we missed nothing. 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I left towards the end of Edinburgh City's umpteenth cup final defeat in a row to the smug Spartans. But where are they now, eh (well they're our landlords so a nice club who deserves all those cup wins really...)

I went up to Dundee the other year to watch Downfield v Dunbar only to find it postponed. So I found myself watching Dee v Saints at Dens instead. The notorious McCann v Wright game. Half the Derry left after the 3rd Saints goal, the rest of the Derry plus the Bobby Cox stand emptied after the 4th. Being a neutral I stayed to the end.

Sometimes you just stay at a game to the end for the sheer fun of watching a Trainwreck in front of your eyes - Hibs O Malmö 7* and Meadowbank 1 Killie 8 being examples of this 

*The predictive text spelled Malmö thus. I'm not that pretentious.

Don't think that ever happened mate. 

The game after our first Annan humiliation(which I left a Wake to attend),we were at Parkhead.I entered the ground just as the first goal went in and we were three down after  the first 10 minutes. 

I expected us to lose(twas Canning's trial "run" as a Manager),so decided to stay and take the punishment.I can't recall anyone leaving  early that night, although loads left early when Gretna beat us 6-0 in the Billy Reid era,first game of the season.

I did get to see Eamonn Brophy run around like a demented banshee after making it 7-1 though which was a "moment" in itself.

It's not Premiership but my old man had us leave early Hibs V AEK Athens, in his infinite wisdom "the game was finished".

Ultimately we lost the tie, but won the game. Missed Zitelli's goal. Still Spewing.

He has a habit of leaving early mind - Semi against Falkirk 3 - 0 down. Serves him right.

5 hours ago, Ranter_McBanter said:

It's not Premiership but my old man had us leave early Hibs V AEK Athens, in his infinite wisdom "the game was finished".

Ultimately we lost the tie, but won the game. Missed Zitelli's goal. Still Spewing.

He has a habit of leaving early mind - Semi against Falkirk 3 - 0 down. Serves him right.

I reckon having to leave a game early because your da always leaves a game early is one of those childhood wounds we get to talk about in therapy.

I can't tell you how cathartic it feels now that I get to just let him leave if he wants without having to go with him. He always leaves early. Even if there's still something in the game. He needs to "beat the traffic". The bloody traffic. Even when our home crowds were a bawhair above 2,000 he'd still leave as if he had something hugely important to do which would be ruined if it was put back by 10 minutes. I remember a couple of occasions where we missed equalising/winning goals as we were jogging away from the stadium like he'd planted explosives. Utter weirdo of a man (see also, having to be at the ground at 2 fuckin 30 so that we "miss the crush" that inevitably precedes a mid November home tie against Alloa).

The sins of the father, eh.

Edited by velo army

44 minutes ago, velo army said:

I reckon having to leave a game early because your da always leaves a game early is one of those childhood wounds we get to talk about in therapy.

I can't tell you how cathartic it feels now that I get to just let him leave if he wants without having to go with him. He always leaves early. Even if there's still something in the game. He needs to "beat the traffic". The bloody traffic. Even when our home crowds were a bawhair above 2,000 he'd still leave as if he had something hugely important to do which would be ruined if it was put back by 10 minutes. I remember a couple of occasions where we missed equalising/winning goals as we were jogging away from the stadium like he'd planted explosives. Utter weirdo of a man (see also, having to be at the ground at 2 fuckin 30 so that we "miss the crush" that inevitably precedes a mid November home tie against Alloa).

The sins of the father, eh.

The rituals and habits etc demonstrated on here show most supporters up as complete weirdos.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Oh yes, oh yes.

May have to watch this. A particular favourite is the episode with the game against the African side that all play in bare feet.

The whole thing is great, though.

Just quickly watched the one where they go to Japan. For some reason all the Japanese players are wearing Hachimaki's because, erm, reasons?

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

Just quickly watched the one where they go to Japan. For some reason all the Japanese players are wearing Hachimaki's because, erm, reasons?

I was trying to find other examples and came across this:

https://anchor.fm/hurricanespod

A rewatch podcast highlighting it all. I take it you've just watched this one?

A tough away game for the 'canes as they face the Tokyo Typhoons in the natural disaster derby. But can they overcome the yakuza, a massive £5,100 ransom and the need to fit in every single racist stereotype in Japan? Yes obviously, they're obviously going to win.

48 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was trying to find other examples and came across this:

https://anchor.fm/hurricanespod

A rewatch podcast highlighting it all. I take it you've just watched this one?

A tough away game for the 'canes as they face the Tokyo Typhoons in the natural disaster derby. But can they overcome the yakuza, a massive £5,100 ransom and the need to fit in every single racist stereotype in Japan? Yes obviously, they're obviously going to win.

That's it :lol:

The best thing about the Hurricanes was there extraordinary ability to come back from the brink.  I mean, to win every game 10-9, having being down 9-0 at half time, was unreal.