Have you ever left a game mid way through? If so, why..

Quite a few times. The worst was the 7-2 defeat at McDiarmid. I'd been out the night before and was on somewhat of a comedown. In fact I hadn't even been to bed. Drove through with some optimism as we'd won 1-0 there earlier in the season. I left at 5-1 down, feeling like utter shite, escaped McDiarmid's infernal car park and turned on the radio. I hadn't even reached the Tesco when Richard Gordon excitedly announced Jerry O'Driscoll has pulled one back with a penalty, but almost immediately followed that with "to make it 7-2". Pish. 

9 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Once, that I remember:

Hibernian 0 - 7 Malmo. Just after the 7th goal. Raging, so I was

Eta just checked the team that night:

Gk - Williams

Stevenson Forster mcpake Hanlon

Harris Taiwo Thomson Craig

Vine Handling 

f**k me

Think i left at 6-0 at that game. Somehow i also stayed and managed to see all of Hearts 5 goals in the cup final. 

Remember leaving at half time that same season when Hearts were 2-0 up at half time at Easter Road (think Paterson scored the 2 goals). The game was over and and was back home before the end of full time. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

12 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Old Firm fans from The Highlands make me want to vomit. They are the absolute dregs of society and sadly outnumber County and ICT fans many times over.

There's always a bonk masheen type in every pub in Inverness wanting to educate you all about the good IRA or how Sturgeon is in a secret lesbian relationship with Judy Murray. None of them could point out Ireland or Glasgow on a map to you.

No idea what your line of work is but one thing I've noticed living and working in the Highlands is that every manager or senior manager I've ever had who was from the central belt, didn't support one of the OF.  I've been managed by a Hibs fan, a Motherwell fan and a Raith fan, a few others who weren't really into football. 

No one of any power in any job I've worked has supported them. You could perhaps say they were of higher intelligence, more trustworthy, hence their loftier position.  Whereas the 'workies' were 95% OF fans, despite being Inverness born and bred. Going down to the canteen on a Monday morning after an Old Firm game was both horrific and hilarious, listening to all their shite putdowns to each other 

Edited by TheScarf

I'm fairly resilient when it comes to staying at games, I've stayed alone when all my mates have disappeared to the pub, but it would be nonsense to say I've never left early.

I left Pittodrie last summer when we were 4-0 down on aggregate with ten men against Rijeka. Fair play to those that stayed but I just didn't see the point. There have been others.

16 hours ago, Ric said:

We were playing Falkirk, in the Championship, and were 3 nil down by the half hour mark or so. We were rotten, the weather was rotten, I was in feeling rotten and I'd travelled in on my own. I never even bothered waiting to see if we'd turn it around (spoiler: we didn't) and was on the train home before the second half had even started! I never bothered following the scores on the radio, instead I just turned on some tunes and buried myself into a book, writing the day off.

One should NEVER leave while 3-0 down to Falkirk.

11 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Closest i've come to leaving at HT was against Falkirk, we were 3-0 down and defensively shocking, my mate asked if i wanted to go (he was driving), thought about it and said we should give it another 10 mins or so after HT, Bollan took off our weakest link in defence and stuck on another striker and went for it, we drew level to 3-3, only to concede a sucker punch boot up the pitch in the dying minutes. Glad i didn't leave, it was some 2nd half, and even though we still lost it was a fantastic game to have been at, just for our 2nd half display.

Good man. 

Spoiler

P.S. I very very nearly almost left. Wiser minds prevailed. Wish I'd left early in the final though. 

9 hours ago, G51 said:

Can you explain to me why a football fan from Caithness, Orkney, Shetland, the Western Isles etc. should feel obliged to support Ross County or ICT?

These teams are literally hundreds of miles away. It's impractical for 99% of people living in these areas to attend games in Dingwall or Inverness.

And yet my brother, born and brought up in Thurso was a season ticket holder at ibrox, there was a bus that left there weekly that obviously went past these,  and many other grounds to get to Glasgow. c***s the lot of them.

9 hours ago, G51 said:

Believe what shite?

It's incredibly hard to discuss this when you simply resort to meaningless, empty sentences. Tell me what part of what I posted is wrong, and why it's wrong.

It is the same for a helluva lot of Celtic and Rangers supporters who live hundreds of miles from Glasgow, in that they manufacture reasons for supporting one of these clubs. The thing that you never, ever admit, which is the actual reason for supporting whichever one of the two, is that you simply want to follow a winning team. Anything else is made up shite.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

It is the same for a helluva lot of Celtic and Rangers supporters who live hundreds of miles from Glasgow, in that they manufacture reasons for supporting one of these clubs. The thing that you never, ever admit, which is the actual reason for supporting whichever one of the two, is that you simply want to follow a winning team. Anything else is made up shite.

What about ignorant misguided religious reasons? 

16 hours ago, G51 said:

I refuse to have the "Subway Loyal" tag attached to me for leaving a "Scotland Futures" game that included the likes of Craig Dargo in it

Because you shouldn't have to leave watching 'your team' in your local pub in the Highlands to head out to Subway for an Italian B.M.T.

Edited by bairney

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

With a little bit of this.

11 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Ignorant misguided religious reasons? 

10 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

My mate left us and walked out of Tannadice with 5 minutes to go in the 96 play-oof v Thistle.  He said he heard a roar and assumed it was the final whistle and only found out United had equalised when he got in the pub.

Not a case of leaving early but once went through to Edinburgh for United v Hibs and as it was chucking it down ended up getting pissed instead. We lost so it seems I made the right choice.

Very appropriate typo...

9 hours ago, G51 said:

Can you explain to me why a football fan from Caithness, Orkney, Shetland, the Western Isles etc. should feel obliged to support Ross County or ICT?

These teams are literally hundreds of miles away. It's impractical for 99% of people living in these areas to attend games in Dingwall or Inverness.

Celtic and Rangers are literally even more hundreds of miles away.

41 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

One should NEVER leave while 3-0 down to Falkirk.

Remember, we weren't a league apart at that time, in fact I believe Falkirk finished above us the previous season. You're game us the old "the example that proves the rule". I would need to check but I honestly cannot think of a game we've come back from 3-0 down. I'm sure there must be one. We've come back 2-0 down lots of times but can't think of a 3-0.

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Sorry your thread got ruined by defensive **** @Ric

13 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Ach that's maybe my fault.

:lol: .. no no, I'm not being precious about the thread, just seeing if a gentle nudge was going to get it away from the obvious slagging match that we could all see coming! I failed, of course, because you can never tame a P&B thread, and hell mend those who think they can.. ;)

Here's a fun twist on this, I'm a St Mirren fan that spent quite a lot of time up in the Highlands (and Grampian for that matter). Am I a glory hunter? I would, of course, argue yes because of the glory associated with supporting St Mirren. If anyone is wondering, I was born in Glasgow, but even then well outwith the St Mirren "catchment" area.

Interestingly, lots of Aberdeen fans in the Highlands were simply Aberdeen fans because they were doing well in the league during the 70s/80s. If people are going to label OF fans from the North as glory hunters and not supporting their local team, the same should be labelled to a generation of Aberdeen fans.

Edited by Ric

37 minutes ago, Ric said:

Remember, we weren't a league apart at that time, in fact I believe Falkirk finished above us the previous season. You're game us the old "the example that proves the rule". I would need to check but I honestly cannot think of a game we've come back from 3-0 down. I'm sure there must be one. We've come back 2-0 down lots of times but can't think of a 3-0.

:lol: .. no no, I'm not being precious about the thread, just seeing if a gentle nudge was going to get it away from the obvious slagging match that we could all see coming! I failed, of course, because you can never tame a P&B thread, and hell mend those who think they can.. ;)

Here's a fun twist on this, I'm a St Mirren fan that spent quite a lot of time up in the Highlands (and Grampian for that matter). Am I a glory hunter? I would, of course, argue yes because of the glory associated with supporting St Mirren. If anyone is wondering, I was born in Glasgow, but even then well outwith the St Mirren "catchment" area.

Interestingly, lots of Aberdeen fans in the Highlands were simply Aberdeen fans because they were doing well in the league during the 70s/80s. If people are going to label OF fans from the North as glory hunters and not supporting their local team, the same should be labelled to a generation of Aberdeen fans.

This is an interesting point you make. I've seen it on a few occasions in the past where Scottish Football fans regard people from Glasgow that choose not to support Rangers or Celtic as a good thing, yet they view people who are not from Glasgow choosing to support Rangers or Celtic as a bad thing. It totally ruins their argument of "support your local club".

My personal opinion is why does it matter. I would hazard a guess that the majority of folk are likely influenced by their Dad/parents/guardians on choosing who to support, so while the "support your local club" theory is admirable, in reality, young kids don't really care about that and once a team has been with them for so long, it's very rare that someone will have an epiphany one day and choose to support someone else.

I would suggest there are barely any kids out there at all who reach a point where they know they like football, they know they want to support a team but haven't been influenced by someone on who they should support.

Edit to add context: Maybe I was dim as a child, but I had no real grasp on geography when I was 5 years old. Being from Livingston, they never had a team at that point, and Edinburgh, Falkirk or anywhere else seemed just as far away as Glasgow was. 

Edited by AJF

Is there no one in Caithness who just supports Wick Academy? Why the need for a “league team”?

On topic, I used to make a point of hanging on to the end, but then we lost 6-0 at Celtic Park and I realised there was no point whatsoever. Since then, I’ve left early plenty of times. Most recent was the 2-1 loss at Arbroath last season, missed our consolation goal. Things tend to get better for Thistle after I’ve left the game, but I don’t think I’ve missed any sensational comebacks yet.