Have you ever left a game mid way through? If so, why..

How would someone from Wick be expected to follow East Fife in the 80's, 90's or 00's?

There aren't exactly many East Fife games on the telly. I'm all ears though.

Good God you’re fucking thick!

Born and raised in Thurso, a Don til I die and an Academy fan from teaching in Wick.

An Oakland Raider’s fan ( it will never be Lad Vegas) and never been to either city.

1 minute ago, Raidernation said:

Good God you’re fucking thick!

Born and raised in Thurso, a Don til I die and an Academy fan from teaching in Wick.

An Oakland Raider’s fan ( it will never be Lad Vegas) and never been to either city.

Feel free to enlighten me on how it would be possible to follow East Fife in those days from Caithness then. Bearing in mind that the good thing about football is actually watching it.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Half way through? Aye and plenty times well before that. Football wise when we were getting pumped in a semi at Hampden by Motherwell is one I remember.

Plenty times just to go and get fucked up and once I left to get my hole.

Could you perhaps elaborate on this one?

Only a few times...

The last one was a game around Xmas / December V Partick away a few years back and it was freezing. I slipped twice on Icy pavements once near Firhill and the other when I got back to Edinburgh. To be fair I had drunk a few Whisky’s to keep me warm. 

Left after half an hour to go back to Glasgow city centre for warmth and a few more beers at the Anchor Line before heading back to the Capital. 

We were 3-0 down after 30 minutes. Iirc we did get back to 3-2. But it was a good decision as being 3-0 down to Partick after only 30 mins is a red (and yellow) neck.

Edited by welldaft

21 minutes ago, Ric said:

So here's the thing.. this was meant to be a light hearted thread about people saying "f**k it, this is shocking" and the funny stories behind the game that tipped them over the edge. Not some sort of virtue signalling nonsense about who supports whom and from where.

I mean, by all means turn this into a bun fight, but that wasn't the intention.

Reported.

Never used to leave early ever, I think the only games ever were two defeats against Hearts at Hampden that we never speak about.

However nowadays (pre-pandemic) I’m pretty regularly back in the pub before full time if the game’s rubbish, in the late Lennon, Heckingbottom and even some games under Jack Ross it was pretty common for us to head back to the pub if we were on a hiding to nothing and it was a day out where a lot of alcohol was consumed.

Patched the Rangers game in December when we went 2-0 down after 10 mins with a preference of a nice pint in a nice warm pub rather the freezing my arse off whilst being serenaded with bigotry, don’t remember much of that night tbh.

Can only recall falling foul of this once when we left a pre-season friendly away to Carlisle  when we were 3-1 down to find out we’ve came back and won 4-3 😂.

Edited by Les Cabbage

November 2000, Saints are 4-0 down at Ibrox after 20 minutes. Fearing it would end up as double figures I left there and then. I walked to PRW and waited for a bus, got off at Barshaw Park, walked another 5 minutes to home, switched on the radio and the 2nd half had just started. It finished 7-1 so I didn't even see our goal. Kenny Miller scored 5 and the Ref made Saints players wear Rangers red socks.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Half way through? Aye and plenty times well before that. Football wise when we were getting pumped in a semi at Hampden by Motherwell is one I remember.

Plenty times just to go and get fucked up and once I left to get my hole.

12 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Could you perhaps elaborate on this one?

Attending football has cost me in that particular area more times than I care to remember.

34 minutes ago, G51 said:

Love to have folk from the Central Belt, where there's a professional football team every 5 miles, telling someone from the Highlands what the "right" way to pick your football team is. 

Inverness and Dingwall are a two and a half hour drive away, and the train takes four hours. These are not local teams.

Where did I mention anything about who people should support?

One of the first games I took the wean to was a 6-0 home humping by Airdrie during the Allan Creer era. We were three down by half-time and there was no hope of revival, no hope of happiness, no hope of anything other than misery in a grim, hopeless world. The wean was too young to be exposed to that, so I took him away and we were five down by the time I got him home. I blame that traumatic experience on his total disinterest in football to this day.

Generally, however, leaving games early is for mugs. There were folk who left when we went 2-0 down to Rangers a few years back. Dafties.

First away game I took my son to was Dumbarton away in what turned out to be Alex Rae's last game. After 20 minutes he got bored and wanted to go home. Got back in the car just in time to hear the cheer for a Dumbarton goal.

Also left at halftime in a game at home v Aberdeen a couple of years ago as it was freezing and the kids were complaining. Not left any games really early though for any non child care reason.

I tend to sit to the end, no matter what. I even stayed to the end of the 5-0 New Years Day disaster at New Douglas Park. I did leave a game against Celtic early years ago at 1-6, with Moravcik and Larsson absolutely ripping the arse right out of us. I mind my dad turning round to me half way round the corner at Knowetop and saying ‘Do you think they’ll stop at 6?’ just as the cheer went up for the seventh and Larsson’s 4th(I think). 

Wandered out of a game at St Johnstone at half time once to go and see Young Fathers/Fuckbuttons/Mogwai in a park in the East End somewhere. I think we lost 1-0, I don’t regret my decision. 

Earliest, and definitely the worst, was Scotland 0 Wales 2. Gareth Bale scored twice and, despite being fairly leathered, I have never been as cold in my puff. Left at 1-0 and saw the second in one of those pubs next to Hampden that you never get near before kick-off. If anyone thinks Scotland have been shite in recent years, they clearly weren’t paying attention to how bad we were before that. 

Very rarely leave early. The times I have though are typically a combination of me being frozen and the Dons being at least 3 down.

Can also remember clearly the first time I left a game early. I was 10 years old and  I had no choice because the mannie that had given me a lift in to Aberdeen decided to leave early.. The Dons were getting humped 3-nil by Hearts. A weird looking fvkker called Willie Gibson scored twice , the third goal coming about 10 minutes from time. As soon as the third went in the driver stood up and said “ Right , that’s enough ....let’s go”.   I hated him for that. Hoped we’d crash on the way home just to spite the c**t. He did f**k all  but moan all the way home too. Kept on saying that Hearts were streets ahead of Aberdeen...it was the first time I’d ever heard that phrase.

Always  been wary since then of relying on others for transport in case they turn out to be fair-weather traitors like thon mannie.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

So here's the thing.. this was meant to be a light hearted thread about people saying "f**k it, this is shocking" and the funny stories behind the game that tipped them over the edge. Not some sort of virtue signalling nonsense about who supports whom and from where.

I mean, by all means turn this into a bun fight, but that wasn't the intention.

Ach that's maybe my fault.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Hi mate, I come from the Far North, where our local SPFL team is 120 miles away. So you'll appreciate that folk up here don't have a local team.

The only team we have is Wick Academy, who everyone supports. But because the away games are literally five hours on a bus every two weeks, we tend to follow the league teams more passionately.

Why that league team though?

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Once.

30th March 2010.

We were well into our complete bottle job of handing Inverness the title. We hadn't won in the previous 5 games and had sacked Jocky Scott a couple of weeks prior.

The setting was East End Park. It was a midweek game and it was a must win match. We were a single point behind Caley and Dunfermline were 5 points behind us.

6 minutes in, Willie Gibson smashed the ball past Tony Bullock and the players just didn't seem to care. It's cliche to say that players don't care when your club is on a bad run, but they genuinely didn't seem to care at all. A 30 yarder from Steven Bell put Dunfermline further in front. The players were arguing amongst themselves and the fans in the stand were arguing with each other.

The weather was dreadful. A rain cascading the terraces and it was quite violent with the little specs of rain feeling like little hail stones.

To make matters worse, Ben Hutchinson went for a 50-50 with Greg Paterson in the Dunfermline goal and it resulted in the worst sounding leg break I've ever witnessed at the football. Horrific injury and there are some nasty pictures of Paterson's leg on Google.

Hide contents

Soccer Irn- Bru Scottish Division One - Dunfermlline Ath v Dundee | :  Universal News & Sport (Europe) 0844 884 5122

Manager Post Dundee | Dunfermline Athletic Football Club

At half time it was 2-0 going on 15-0. Dunfermline had chance after chance and if it weren't for the fact that several Dunfermline players seemed noticably affected by the leg break incident, I'm sure they'd have taken their chances. We made all 3 subs at HT (Ben Hutchinson being enforced as he was clearly grief stricken) - It's since came out that Chisholm well and truly lost the dressing room here (If he ever had it).  Some players are still quite bitter about it and have admitted they stopped trying when Jocky got sacked. It showed that night.

Various players have slandered Chisholm and Dodds' running of the team. Most recently, Leigh Griffiths on the Open Goal podcast slated Dodds' coaching techniques in particular.

Any way - I left around the 70th minute. Fans were still arguing with each other. The guy that was leaving in front of me was almost getting into a physical altercation with another fan as they questioned why he was leaving.

Dreadful, dreadful night and has made me hate East End Park ever since.

image.jpeg

I was at this match. We were brilliant that first half and, like you say, should have been more that 2 up. 

The injury definitely changed things, including in the stands.

Grim.