Have you ever left a game mid way through? If so, why..

This comes from a question I raised in the St Mirren thread, I thought I'd open it up to everyone else...

It's a bit different now, because leaving a game is nothing more than switching the stream off (or... the stream deciding to die of it's own accord) but back in the 'before times' when you could attend games were you the sort of person who would chuck it and leave a game half way through? I'm not talking about leaving to beat the traffic (not that many teams suffer the problem of too many people leaving at once!), but literally just walking out when you've had enough?

If you have left early, what game (heh, or games!) was it? Did you end up watching/listening to the rest of it on tv/radio once you had left, and when you were leaving did you fire out a salty epitaph to accurately reflect your 'disappointment' as you exited the stadium?

For me? I'm a bit of a stalwart and will normally, and grimly, soak up a bad performance until the whistle blows. However, there is one time I remember when I left even before the end of the first half whistle had blown. We were playing Falkirk, in the Championship, and were 3 nil down by the half hour mark or so. We were rotten, the weather was rotten, I was in feeling rotten and I'd travelled in on my own. I never even bothered waiting to see if we'd turn it around (spoiler: we didn't) and was on the train home before the second half had even started! I never bothered following the scores on the radio, instead I just turned on some tunes and buried myself into a book, writing the day off.

Loads of times. Who sits there til the bitter end when on the end of a 5-0 hiding?

Non huff reasons include trying to catch last train out of Glasgow due to our pish public transport system.

The one regret is leaving 2-0 down v Celtic on about 88 minutes. We got one back as we were half up Dens 4d and Efe Ambrose headed in our equaliser as we reached the pub.

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

No.

You are clearly as pious as your avatar Johnny.. ;)

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Non huff reasons include trying to catch last train out of Glasgow due to our pish public transport system.

I'm sure you'll have guessed this from my post, but I'm not meaning that sort of reason. Anyone who has lived North of the Central Belt will have had the experience of seeing how much of a game you can catch before making the dash for the last bus/train.

I've had to leave the odd game early if I was playing a Saturday night gig, but I'd always try to eche it out as long as possible before the traffic got too bad. I've left Ibrox twice on the back of absolute pumpings to try to avoid the bulk of the home crowd leaving. Generally at RP I won't leave early, even if we're on the end of an absolute doing. I'd only leave a home game early if I had a gig to play at or if I had another work-related commitment.

Once.

30th March 2010.

We were well into our complete bottle job of handing Inverness the title. We hadn't won in the previous 5 games and had sacked Jocky Scott a couple of weeks prior.

The setting was East End Park. It was a midweek game and it was a must win match. We were a single point behind Caley and Dunfermline were 5 points behind us.

6 minutes in, Willie Gibson smashed the ball past Tony Bullock and the players just didn't seem to care. It's cliche to say that players don't care when your club is on a bad run, but they genuinely didn't seem to care at all. A 30 yarder from Steven Bell put Dunfermline further in front. The players were arguing amongst themselves and the fans in the stand were arguing with each other.

The weather was dreadful. A rain cascading the terraces and it was quite violent with the little specs of rain feeling like little hail stones.

To make matters worse, Ben Hutchinson went for a 50-50 with Greg Paterson in the Dunfermline goal and it resulted in the worst sounding leg break I've ever witnessed at the football. Horrific injury and there are some nasty pictures of Paterson's leg on Google.

Soccer Irn- Bru Scottish Division One - Dunfermlline Ath v Dundee | :  Universal News & Sport (Europe) 0844 884 5122

Manager Post Dundee | Dunfermline Athletic Football Club

At half time it was 2-0 going on 15-0. Dunfermline had chance after chance and if it weren't for the fact that several Dunfermline players seemed noticably affected by the leg break incident, I'm sure they'd have taken their chances. We made all 3 subs at HT (Ben Hutchinson being enforced as he was clearly grief stricken) - It's since came out that Chisholm well and truly lost the dressing room here (If he ever had it).  Some players are still quite bitter about it and have admitted they stopped trying when Jocky got sacked. It showed that night.

Various players have slandered Chisholm and Dodds' running of the team. Most recently, Leigh Griffiths on the Open Goal podcast slated Dodds' coaching techniques in particular.

Any way - I left around the 70th minute. Fans were still arguing with each other. The guy that was leaving in front of me was almost getting into a physical altercation with another fan as they questioned why he was leaving.

Dreadful, dreadful night and has made me hate East End Park ever since.

image.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

You are clearly as pious as your avatar Johnny.. ;)

I'm sure you'll have guessed this from my post, but I'm not meaning that sort of reason. Anyone who has lived North of the Central Belt will have had the experience of seeing how much of a game you can catch before making the dash for the last bus/train.

Don't you dare try and limit my freedom of expression.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Once.

That is the sort of detail I'm looking for, well played, and take a bow.. :)

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Yes.

Left when the 3rd Dundee goal went in....

There is definitely something psychological about a 3rd going in against you. It tips the balance between "Hold on, we can pull this back" and "ah, ffs, this could be a cricket score".

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Don't you dare try and limit my freedom of expression.

Just you wait, I'll be assuming your gender next!

1 minute ago, Ric said:

200.gif

15 March 2006, Scotland B team beat Turkey 3-2 at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium years back.  We just got tickets because Scotland teams never ever come to play in the Highlands.

Game was shite (the scoreline does lie sometimes) and it was the middle of winter. Was sat in the North Stand which is the coldest stand in football. Left early to go get a Burger King. I had a Bacon Double Cheeseburger. My cousin had a Chicken Royale. Then we went back up the road.

It's not a terribly interesting story.

Just now, G51 said:

It's not a terribly interesting story.

Interesting though, as you caught me left field, I wasn't thinking it was an international.

Not sure if leaving an international game is "better" or "worse" than leaving a club game.

I was asked to vacate the away end at Pittodrie shortly before half time after a nice police man saw a half bottle of whisky in my pocket.  They let me go when they found my Aberdeen scarf in my pocket. Something to do with them only having one turnstile due to not ordering enough tickets, or something like that. All a bit hazy to be honest. 

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Once, that I remember:

Hibernian 0 - 7 Malmo. Just after the 7th goal. Raging, so I was

7 is quite the limit, I think if I was to be leaving it would have perhaps been after the 4th or 5th going in against my team, but to stick it out until 7 and that being the straw that broke the camel's back is showing a certain level of 'indefatigability'.

Out of interest, and I could just google this, but what time did the 7th go in?