U21's - San Marino Away

G51

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Is U21s a recent thing? If not, how come there’s none of the decent players from the ‘80s and beyond?

U21s have been going since 1978.  With the expansion of UEFA countries (soviet union, balkans) there is more qualifying games in recent times.

Any particular player you think is missing from the list?

21 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

U21s have been going since 1978.  With the expansion of UEFA countries (soviet union, balkans) there is more qualifying games in recent times.

I was thinking the likes of Dalglish? Archibald? Nicholas?

Dalglish was U23s only. Archibald and Nicholas were U21s but only played a handful of games for them. Think it must just be down to more U21s games these days.

Edited by Scary Bear

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

I was thinking the likes of Dalglish? Archibald? Nicholas?

Dalglish - 4 games, 3 goals*

Archibald - 5 games, 1 goal

Nicholas - 6 games, 2 goals

You can look into Hornby's record and see hat-tricks against Andorra and San Marino. I think he is a good player but praising his goal scoring recored is like looking at the raw totals for someone like Steven Fletcher's 10 goals in 33 caps without mentioning that 6 of those goals were against Gibtraltar.

*Paul

7 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

You can look into Hornby's record and see hat-tricks against Andorra and San Marino. I think he is a good player but praising his goal scoring recored is like looking at the raw totals for someone like Steven Fletcher's 10 goals in 33 caps without mentioning that 6 of those goals were against Gibtraltar.

*Paul

Aye, I had a check. Those were just the first three that came into my head. I was thinking Kenny Dalglish rather than his boy but Kenny was U23s and even then he only played a handful of times.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Aye, I had a check. Those were just the first three that came into my head. I was thinking Kenny Dalglish rather than his boy but Kenny was U23s and even then he only played a handful of times.

Its one of those things where stats can be very misleading.  You would think well top scorer for u21s probably best striker then, but in reality the best one probably bypassed the u21s cause he was really good. Whoever that may be.

3 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Under 21s started in 1976-77 season with two overage players allowed as had been the case in the latter years of the U23s.

First competitive game at that level was 0-0 V Czechoslovakia in Pilsen, October '76.

Edited by Anfield 1977
spelling error

3 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Its one of those things where stats can be very misleading.  You would think well top scorer for u21s probably best striker then, but in reality the best one probably bypassed the u21s cause he was really good. Whoever that may be.

Our best did. Dennis Law had 10 goals for the full team while still U23.

4 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

*Paul

A very fair point. 

2 x Netherlands

3 x San Marino

3 x Andorra

1 x Czech Republic

1 x Togo

I haven’t checked Scott Booth’s record, but Rhodes isn’t much different: 3 x Luxembourg, 2 x Bulgaria, 2 x Austria, 1 x Netherlands 

My view is that he’s the best u21 striker we’ve had in some time, but when that list consists of the likes of Tony Watt, the bar is not a high one...