Team for Czech Rep

Craigieboy86

The state of the czech team is really playing into our hands here, if their coach can't make it. If we can beat them then we'd be in a ridiculously strong position. No-one in their right minds would have us top of this group in this manner, and a lot of it has been due to covid.

Have we ever got this lucky before?

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The state of the czech team is really playing into our hands here, if their coach can't make it. If we can beat them then we'd be in a ridiculously strong position. No-one in their right minds would have us top of this group in this manner, and a lot of it has been due to covid.

Yes , and we screwed it up !

Wouldn’t have thought another centre back was top of the priority list. We could do with a left back and a quick winger/midfielder to replace Fraser when he inevitably tires around the 70th minute - our game did drop a bit when he went off for Paterson last night.

Who'd have thought it?

I had been thinking we'd need to rotate the squad a bit, but when I think of what's at stake in this match I see we need to give everything to win it. Winning this group would be huge.

1) Great chance of being in the World Cup 2022 play-offs.

2) Getting home and away matches against top countries 2022-23. The worst that can happen is we get relegated back to League B, where we are now.

3) Almost nailed-on for at worst a play-off place for Euro 2024.

4) The draw for the World Cup Qualification groups will use the FIFA Ranking for November 2020 - I don't know how realistic our chances are of making it into Pot 2, but we've got four matches to do it and the Czechs are currently one place above us. 

17 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Our squad is in a much weaker state this time around than there’s is. We’re starting to put something interesting together, lets not demean that by saying it’s only down to Covid.

It would be an absolutely terrific result if we got anything on Wednesday. 

Edited by Londonwell

It'll be the same team as Slovakia with these changes:

1. Fleck to McGregor
  2. Robertson to Taylor

McBurnie will come on for Dykes at some point.  Jack, Paterson, and Shankland may get some game time (who knows why Paterson keeps coming on?!)

Highly doubt Clarke will change anything in defence, unless forced to.  Even if I'd like to see another RB get some game time.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

2 hours ago, Londonwell said:

It would be an absolutely terrific result if we got anything on Wednesday. 

This is nonsense. A draw at home to a team ranked four places above us would not be an "absolutely terrific result". Regardless of the players missing, we are more than capable of winning this tomorrow and a draw should be the worst case scenario.

5 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5985a2510bc314bc1ab2e8105d3d0696.jpeg

This is how I’d set up. I’d like to see McRorie start alongside McLean, I think we’d be even harder to play through, break down. I’d hope Clarke has had a word with McGinn about his shoot on sight, no matter the angle, distance from goal, attitude. It would be good to see some better decisions from him in the final 1/3.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This is nonsense. A draw at home to a team ranked four places above us would not be an "absolutely terrific result". Regardless of the players missing, we are more than capable of winning this tomorrow and a draw should be the worst case scenario.

I'm not sure if you're aware of the rules of football but results wise the worst case scenario is in fact a loss. 

Anyway, we have a lot of players out and it's going to be a tough game. I think if we continue to improve in the system that Clarke is sticking by though then we can of course come away with something (whether that's a win or a draw). The fact is though this is going to be a tougher game than those already played and we have a weaker squad, hence why it would be terrific to get something out of it.