Clyde vs Thistle -17th October opening day

A few observations on today's match:

The first half was rubbish to watch. Thistle seemed to be happy to sit deep and not try to do much when they had the ball. Had no interest in stopping us playing out from the back. We had obviously pinpointed a weakness in Penrice and our main tactic seemed to be to give it to Syvertsen and get him to run at the left back. That was it though, no instruction on what to do next. I also thought our midfield trio were a bit all over the place; full of energy but not much structure. Cuddihy very lucky to get away with giving the ball away (Think that was when Aissa missed Thistle's best chance). Other than a great knockdown from Cunningham, which Goodwillie volleyed straight at Sneddon, we didn't create anything either.

The second half we started with a much greater purpose and got Jack more involved in the game higher up the pitch. Goodwillie should have scored but Sneddon saved well at his feet, whilst Syvertsen thumped the post. Then, a wee bit of luck as Thistle hit the post and couldn't convert the rebound, with McNiff clearing well. Moments later we scored, with a beautiful flowing move. A terrific pass from Syvertsen, another wonderfully weighted knockdown from Cunningham and although Goodwillie couldn't convert, Love did.

I think the midfield trio we have are excellent in transitions. Since Lennon came in, we've generally been great at counter-attacking but at times been caught going the other way. They've been really good working to get back in when we lose the ball. Where they need a lot of work is when we're defending in a shape. There is at times, too much eagerness to go and chase and press. I think Lennon recognised that and putting Howie on to just sit centrally with Cuddihy worked. They didn't have a single clear chance after the goal and we should have scored at least one more on the counter.

I'm sure Thistle will field a different team next week and will be the better for today. Lyons, Niang, Williamson, Docherty and the goalie should all be in. The rest can be binned with no complaints. Cardle, who ripped us apart in the cup tie last year, was absolutely dreadful. I can't even remember who Spittal replaced he was that anonymous. The balance of the midfield trio seemed completely off; Bannigan and Docherty wanting to play in the same areas, Murray not good enough to create on his own. This division you'll get killed if you don't have pace in the centre of the pitch; we saw that ourselves last year. 

There is a lot of potential in our back four. Bain knows what he's doing, McNiff/Lang are an excellent pairing, and I'll stand by my assertion from Tuesday that Shiels will be a star by the end of the season. Midfield are good to watch (Cunningham is just a wee bundle of hardworking class) and a fit Syvertsen is a game changer. You can't deny that Love is always likely to come up with a big goal in these games.

Got to hand it to Clyde fans they are experts in dishing out piss takes when they beat the bigger clubs. Pity they will go to Dumbarton and Peterhead and shit in the nest more than likely.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Got to hand it to Clyde fans they are experts in dishing out piss takes when they beat the bigger clubs. Pity they will go to Dumbarton and Peterhead and shit in the nest more than likely.

The last time I recall us beating an (arguably) bigger club was Celtic in the Scottish Cup almost 15 years ago.  I certainly don’t see Partick as being a “bigger club” 

18 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

The last time I recall us beating an (arguably) bigger club was Celtic in the Scottish Cup almost 15 years ago.  I certainly don’t see Partick as being a “bigger club” 

How is Celtic an “(arguably) bigger club”? 
They are a bigger club by quite some distance obviously, didn’t you beat Falkirk last season as well? 

32 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

How is Celtic an “(arguably) bigger club”? 
They are a bigger club by quite some distance obviously, didn’t you beat Falkirk last season as well? 

I certainly don’t see Falkirk as a “bigger club” either.  League 1 jobbers.  

15 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I certainly don’t see Falkirk as a “bigger club” either.  League 1 jobbers.  

You don’t think Falkirk are a bigger club, regardless of league, than Clyde? I ain’t no Falkirk fan but, come on now...😂😂

Just now, JagsCG said:

You don’t think Falkirk are a bigger club, regardless of league, than Clyde? I ain’t no Falkirk fan but, come on now...😂😂

Nope - I’m afraid you are wrong.

I would define the size of a Club by what they have achieved.  For instance, major trophies.  In Scotland, that is the top tier championship, Scottish Cup and League Cup.

It is clear that Clyde are a bigger club than either Partick or Falkirk.