Ayr United v Queen of the South - multi club forum match thread

46 minutes ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

No, just speculating about a circumstance which may arise when it might be better for Ayr's second camera to be at the end they're defending. Understandably, they are up the other end to get their goals in all their glory. 

Ha! I can't conceive of a situation where our penalty area would be busier than our opponent's... nope, no sir

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Absolute stick on red card for the Queens penalty. Buchanan scores if he isnt hauled to the ground. Its hard to tell if Maxwell was caught or not. I dont think anyone would have complained to loudly if it hadnt been a penalty but to send him off was ridiculous

Nonsense, it’s a stonewall penalty but that’s not a red card. 

The rules changed in 2016 to prevent teams being  unfairly penalised by losing a man and a goal. It’s not an automatic sending off for preventing a goal scoring opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Nonsense, it’s a stonewall penalty but that’s not a red card. 

The rules changed in 2016 to prevent teams being  unfairly penalised by losing a man and a goal. It’s not an automatic sending off for preventing a goal scoring opportunity.

That only applies if the player challenging makes a genuine attempt to play the ball, which he clearly didn't. The reason he might not give a red card is because he thought it wasn't absolutely 100% clear that the Queens player was going to get to the ball.

Edited by craigkillie

Didn’t watch the game live but from the highlights I don’t think we were as bad as suggested.

probably should have been 3 up at half time with the number of chances. 2nd half was poor but we still had chances to score.

Anderson looked poor, maybe still to gel with Moff and maybe a yard off the pace with his midweek travel.

Just now, craigkillie said:

That only applies if the player challenging makes a genuine attempt to play the ball, which he clearly didn't. The reason it's probably not a red card is because it wasn't absolutely clear that the Queens player was going to get to the ball.

Yeah suppose that’s true.

Either way definitely not a red card.

25 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Is that based on what you thought the rules were or the actual rules?

The ball drops right wher buchanans foot would be if he wasn't pulled down. No attempt to play the ball, therefore it's a red card.

The rules are exactly what I said they were, only thing that’s open to interpretation is whether the defender makes an attempt to play the ball and if the foul was deliberate or accidental.

It’s a jostle in the box, Buchanan has his hands over the defender to begin with and pushes him with 2 hands to begin with. The defender then loses his footing and falls, flattening Buchanan on his way down.

Penalty yes, red card definitely not. By rights it should have been  booking for the defender, I’m not sure if he was booked.

Edited by Hazbart

30 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Yeah suppose that’s true.

Either way definitely not a red card.

🤯 I think you would be hard pushed to find a more obvious red card without someone actually punching someone! I have no idea how you can argue thats not a red card. It really couldnt be clearer. Its an absolute tap in if he doesnt do it and no attempt to play the ball. McLean has got that one wrong. 

Contrary to what the commentator said at the time I dont think McCowan is a straight red. He got that right. But it is worth the booking it got so he had to go. 

No better angle offered on our red card / penalty which was a game turning point obviously. From what we see it 'looks' a foul but the referee was closer and had a better angle so unless there is different footage somewhere we just cant really tell on it.

Robinson loses Miller on the 1st goal though quite why the shortest player in our squad had him in the first place I have no idea. 

Looks like McKee should have had him on the 2nd but he moves into space between several players as someone pointed out above and nobody gets in the right place to defend it. Poor stuff. 

I'm not sure why Buchanan wasn't booked for his part in McCowan's red card, one of those where they are as guilty as eachother.  Luke shouldn't have fallen into the trap. 

Edited by itzdrk

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

🤯 I think you would be hard pushed to find a more obvious red card without someone actually punching someone! I have no idea how you can argue thats not a red card. It really couldnt be clearer. Its an absolute tap in if he doesnt do it and no attempt to play the ball. McLean has got that one wrong. 

Contrary to what the commentator said at the time I dont think McCowan is a straight red. He got that right. But it is worth the booking it got so he had to go. 

No better angle offered on our red card / penalty which was a game turning point obviously. From what we see it 'looks' a foul but the referee was closer and had a better angle so unless there is different footage somewhere we just cant really tell on it.

Robinson loses Miller on the 1st goal though quite why the shortest player in our squad had him in the first place I have no idea. 

Looks like McKee should have had him on the 2nd but he moves into space between several players as someone pointed out above and nobody gets in the right place to defend it. Poor stuff. 

Looks a pretty clear dive in the highlights to me. Just chucks himself up in the air. 

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

I'm not sure why Buchanan wasn't booked for his part in McCowan's red card, one of those where they are as guilty as eachother.  Luke shouldn't have fallen into the trap. 

I really have no idea what you are seeing there? His 'part' was to challenge, legally as far as I can see, for the ball and win it before McCowan raises an arm at him.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I really have no idea what you are seeing there? His 'part' was to challenge, legally as far as I can see, for the ball and win it before McCowan raises an arm at him.

He has McCowan by the back of the head when he's going by, you can see it in the slow motion, that's what he stupidly reacted to.  

Screenshot_2020-10-18-01-16-31-638_com.google.android.youtube.jpg