WoS - What's the Story

3 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

What has that got to do with anything?

Paying £1,000 for advertising no-one will see is a dumb idea, even if it only costs £800 after tax.

Yes it is a dumb idea to show support for your local team when times are so difficult. 

Of course, local people will completely forget that your business stepped-up even though times are so tough for businesses too.

Have you ever even run a business? It is about making a profit so you can pay yourself enough to live as well as possible. That means you need to know your market and, frequently, that means you need to show you are tied into your community. One way to do that is to support local good causes and that may include your local football club.

Not so hard to understand is it??

21 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Correct and it shouldn't have started without fans in any case.   It shouldn't have started without access to changing rooms and shower facilities either.

Football without fans is dreadful and instead of buzzing on Saturday at first game of season I was flat as its just not right to start without our support.

I voted for it not too start but unfortunately the majority Of clubs wanted to crack on with the 10th October start. With cases rising will this be reviewed, who knows, but football without supporters is soulless.

We've already seen incidences of entire squads being asked to isolate, I'm sure the boys employers will love that never mind those that are self employed.

The issue we have here is that Linlithgow are going to look at the situation a whole lot differently than say Heriott Watt or Coldstrean or even my lot.

Clubs with small followings, who operate without a heavy reliance on matchday income because they have to, who have alternative means of funding to do what they do, who perhaps pay expenses only rather than wages, will look at the situation and believe starting the season is the best way forward.  They will want their fans back into grounds, but in essence the actual experience is not dimished too much.  60 fan/committee in the ground or only 10 committee?

That's a polar opposite to the likes of Linlithgow or Bo'ness or Kelty etc and how they may view it.

All that can be said is that we have started the season, it seems to be relatively smooth so far and some clubs have got some form of inside changing available with hopefully more to come.

Let's see where we are in a few weeks time and take stock. We live in a fast changing environment just now, let's do the best we can.

Edited by Burnieman

The issue we have here is that Linlithgow are going to look at the situation a whole lot differently than say Heriott Watt or Coldstrean or even my lot.
Clubs with small followings, who operate without a heavy reliance on matchday income because they have to, who have alternative means of funding to do what they do, who perhaps pay expenses only rather than wages, will look at the situation and believe starting the season is the best way forward.  They will want their fans back into grounds, but in essence the actual experience is not dimished too much.  60 fan/committee in the ground or only 10 committee?
That's a polar opposite to the likes of Linlithgow or Bo'ness or Kelty etc and how they may view it.
All that can be said is that we have started the season, it seems to be relatively smooth so far and some clubs have got some form of inside changing available with hopefully more to come.
Let's see where we are in a few weeks time and take stock. We live in a fast changing environment just now, let's do the best we can.

Surely if a player, in the EoS is on professional forms, they will be on at least minimum wage for an agreed amount of hours to cover training and match days?

Clubs will still need to generate income to cover costs over and about just players.

Even clubs hiring parks still need to generate income.

The key message being professional - as wasn't that one of the provisos of being allowed to start in the current situation.

8 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Surely if a player, in the EoS is on professional forms, they will be on at least minimum wage for an agreed amount of hours to cover training and match days?

Clubs will still need to generate income to cover costs over and about just players.

The key message being professional - as wasn't that one of the provisos of being allowed to start in the current situation.

I think this has been covered here before and it was clear that some clubs are surely can't be paying all their players minimum wage per hour. Those players must be on expenses at best. It's possible that some or all of Heriot Watt's players are paying to play - undergraduates often have to pay club fees, or at least they used to when I was at uni.

Clubs will obviously have some costs, but those who are playing players reasonable amounts surely can't last very long with no matchday income at all.

9 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

As impressive as it is it is naive if they are. Injury in this climate isn’t a joke.

i don’t know the answer I’ll just be surprised if many are.

Worth bearing in mind that if football wasn't a professional sport Kylian Mbappé would still be playing every week, for the same reason I did until decrepitude took over. 

16 hours ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

If any EOS premier clubs have any money must be a few decent WOS players looking for a pay day for a season.

Might be a last chance for many teams to splash the boat out to get into the LL before Promotion is dominated by WOS teams 🤷🏻‍♂️

1. Leagues won't finish (IMO)

2. Anyone spending money is throwing it down the drain as fans are not coming back in any great number this season.

Edited by cmontheloknow

17 hours ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

...Might be a last chance for many teams to splash the boat out to get into the LL before Promotion is dominated by WOS teams 🤷🏻‍♂️

Could be too late on that, if Darvel can get floodlights up. They are alleged to have threatened legal action in a recent zoom meeting if the WoS season didn't start and there has to be a reason why they would be willing to go to those lengths.

39 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

1. Leagues won't finish (IMO) ...

Meanwhile Burnieman is posting this elsewhere about what is being said in EoS circles by the people that matter, in response to cmontheloknow's bizarre ongoing one man crusade to get football halted over on the WoS subforum:

21 hours ago, Burnieman said:

The word is that fans in limited numbers (perhaps 10% of capacity initially) at our level will return once the latest spike is brought under control.  The Govt are already aware that it is pretty low risk and it is merely about "timing"  ie probably political.  There is also outline agreement that the game will receive funding should that not happen.  Clubs are also making arrangements regarding changing facilities, and the requirements may be slightly relaxed to make it easier.  That's what I hear from various people, let's see what happens.

Starting the season is the right thing to do, yes there will be bumps in the road, yes there may well be stoppages or other disruptions but the season will - in my opinion - carry on to a conclusion or close to one. Clubs will adapt.

Those sitting out could learn to regret their decision.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

If the numbers don't go through the roof, and the winter doesn't kill us all off, I'm guessing that fans will be back at low level football in January albeit with restrictions in place. Not having the evidence my lord, what sort of money is changing hands across Scottish non league football ? £100 a week £200 a week ? Be interesting to know how the clubs will survive.

As has been explained before there are three types of registration a player can be signed on. Professional, non-contract Professional and Amateur.

Only the former requires NMW, the latter two are expenses only and only last a season. Plenty players in the EoS on the latter two, inc the Premier.

The flip side of the latter two is that a player can walk for free at the end of each season.