Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Ludo*1

A lot fairer and less exploitative, not everyone at the start was settling on a top class team, more a team they actually wanted. There was an option to buy packs but there were no flash sales, no constant new coloured cards to upgrade, etc as EA hadn't actually cottoned on to aggressively market them at that point.
The fact it was both untested and DLC that cost a tenner sort of meant that there wasn't a massive player base to generate a market for the top, top player cards so it was very basic and simple but a lot of fun.
Also the market was a very good place to trade, was great fun buying cards low and selling high to build the team you wanted.
Was immensely disappointed when it became an in-game feature for 2010 as the writing was on the wall at that point. They were giving you a full mode for 'free' that they charged a tenner for 6 months earlier, so they had to make that money back somewhere.

I played it when I was around 14 because my mates did but was always and still am a Career Mode man. The monetisation and online aspects just don't interest me, although I did like the idea of building a team and comparing it with others.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Ultimate team in it's first incantation (when it came out as DLC) was a brilliant, potentially revolutionary concept that gave a whole new layer to FIFA.

Then it became a filthy loot-box cash grab that WAS revolutionary to the gaming industry but not in a good way.

I'm sure I read somewhere that EA meets its entire annual turnover expectation with Ultimate Team on FIFA and hits its profit target with Madden's one. Anything else is allegedly just a bonus for them which is funny but also depressing given how poor the quality of their products are overall.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Ultimate team in it's first incantation (when it came out as DLC) was a brilliant, potentially revolutionary concept that gave a whole new layer to FIFA.

Then it became a filthy loot-box cash grab that WAS revolutionary to the gaming industry but not in a good way.

Yeah that is true. If they had Ultimate Team without the paywall it would be alright but even still the actual physics of the game change from that compared to when you play regular games... the goalkeepers fumbles and the amount of times you hit the bar is literally unbelievable. 

22 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that EA meets its entire annual turnover expectation with Ultimate Team on FIFA and hits its profit target with Madden's one. Anything else is allegedly just a bonus for them which is funny but also depressing given how poor the quality of their products are overall.

Yeah this annoys me. If they had a shred of integrity they would invest in the pro clubs and esports and Fifa could be huge on that front but instead understandably they make their money from UT anyway so why would they change it. 

24 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Yeah this annoys me. If they had a shred of integrity they would invest in the pro clubs and esports and Fifa could be huge on that front but instead understandably they make their money from UT anyway so why would they change it. 

Even beyond FIFA they could just release some good games rather than Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda

ETA: and aye make an effort on FIFA outside of one mode given it makes so much money lol

Edited by NotThePars

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Even beyond FIFA they could just release some good games rather than Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda

Why would they though?

New IPs are a massive risk requiring huge financial outlay for possible little return. FIFA and Madden are guaranteed moneyspinners for them requiring very little effort every single year. There's literally no incentive for them to try anything different and that's why they hardly ever do so.

I've got a mate who does nothing but complain about EA every single year and every single year he buys both FIFA and Madden on their release days (and did so with Tiger Woods).

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Why would they though?

New IPs are a massive risk requiring huge financial outlay for possible little return. FIFA and Madden are guaranteed moneyspinners for them requiring very little effort every single year. There's literally no incentive for them to try anything different and that's why they hardly ever do so.

I've got a mate who does nothing but complain about EA every single year and every single year he buys both FIFA and Madden on their release days (and did so with Tiger Woods).

I know they don't have any need to and that's one reason why I would happily see capitalism burned to the ground. 

On 11/10/2020 at 10:33, BigFatTabbyDave said:

^^^ absolutely begging for @Mr X to whip out the banhammer!

I thought that was the majority opinion?

Didn't realise tbh. I just remember when SA came out literally every gaming magazine was obsessed by it. I played it about 3 times and got bored. 

Playing Ghost of Tsushima has confirmed for me that day/night cycles and "dynamic weather" aren't always good. So many open world games look really meh at night due to a samey blue haze, and most just look best on a sunny day or at dusk.

• 4 weeks later...