Forfar vs Dumbarton

Forfar Athletic vs Dumbarton  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome?

• Forfar win
    • Draw
    • Dumbarton win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/10/20 at 14:00

12 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've actually seen us much worse than this, but both teams will consider that an opportunity lost against mediocre  opposition.  I though we had some decent performers - Wardrop, Neill, Wedderburn and that early save from Dabrowski was something else, but our final ball was invariably mince.  Jones and Johnstone don't gel and I'd start Wilson next week, if only because he reminds me looks-wise of Charlie Gibson.  Being back on grass might help us. 

Agreed.Remember we were rank last season too at the beginning but soon turned it round.At this level performances are all over the place week to week.The team that has most consistency is the one  that wins.Raith being a great example last season.Not the best team in the league debateably but the most consistent for sure.

We are still feeling our way and we need games to get our best 11 together.Missing PJ and Chris Hamilton.2 important players IMO.If we can add 2 more decent midfielders then we won't be too far away.

Edited by lorenzo71

The back four deserve credit today, up against a big strong side but nullified them.

Robertson was the star man 1st half along with MacKenzie who thwarted Ross Forbes the whole game.

A clean sheet is a good start, same again next week would be a bonus.

We were not unlike last season today. Wild first 20 minutes aside we were well organised and relatively untroubled defensively, but offered little going forward and wasted the corners and free kicks we had.

On the positive side, Dabrowski looks like the best keeper we've had since Alan Martin. He was outstanding again today. Sam Wardrop had his best game since returning in January; surging going forward and disciplined defensively.

80% of Nat Wedderburn's performance was really good too. He's such a smooth operator and a lovely passer...its just a shame he sometimes flicks off and just smashes into someone. I liked big Denny Johnstone's performance again too. He looks a really good player - just one lacking support and a bit of sharpness. Keep him fit and find him the right partner and he'll do well for us.

Was it pretty? Good god no. But we didnt lose. And thats a good thing given how poorly we always start seasons.

Should've said. My report is here: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/forfar-athletic-0-0-dumbarton-22862532

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Guest bernardblack
We were not unlike last season today. Wild first 20 minutes aside we were well organised and relatively untroubled defensively, but offered little going forward and wasted the corners and free kicks we had.
On the positive side, Dabrowski looks like the best keeper we've had since Alan Martin. He was outstanding again today. Sam Wardrop had his best game since returning in January; surging going forward and disciplined defensively.
80% of Nat Wedderburn's performance was really good too. He's such a smooth operator and a lovely passer...its just a shame he sometimes flicks off and just smashes into someone. I liked big Denny Johnstone's performance again too. He looks a really good player - just one lacking support and a bit of sharpness. Keep him fit and find him the right partner and he'll do well for us.
Was it pretty? Good god no. But we didnt lose. And thats a good thing given how poorly we always start seasons.

Always been a fan of Wedderburn, strolls through games.

Great signing for you

22 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Always been a fan of Wedderburn, strolls through games.

Great signing for you

I've never been fully sure what to make of him, but I have liked what I've seen of him so far. He has flaws; he's slow as a week in the jail and can't get around the pitch well at all, but his first touch is gorgeous and his passing is silky smooth. Got a really good eye for a pass too and isn't afraid to take the ball on under pressure.

He'll drive me up the wall with his clumsy tackles mind you!

Guest bernardblack

Tongue firmly in cheek I hope. He spends most of the game on his arse.
For such a big guy he falls over at the merest touch.

Not at all. Classy player

I know Wedderburn has divided opinions wherever he went but I was quite excited (kinda) when he signed. However, it seems I am in the minority in thinking he has been mediocre so far. Gives away possession more than he retains it and is so clumsy at times bumbling into tackles. He has been absolutely nowhere near the standard that Kyle Hutton showed us last year, in what is a very similar position.

On the plus side, we got a point and didn't lose today, where we would often have lost a goal in the last 5/10 minutes. We have work to do, of course, but don't we always at this stage?

I know Wedderburn has divided opinions wherever he went but I was quite excited (kinda) when he signed. However, it seems I am in the minority in thinking he has been mediocre so far. Gives away possession more than he retains it and is so clumsy at times bumbling into tackles. He has been absolutely nowhere near the standard that Kyle Hutton showed us last year, in what is a very similar position.
On the plus side, we got a point and didn't lose today, where we would often have lost a goal in the last 5/10 minutes. We have work to do, of course, but don't we always at this stage?
You realise that you are judging a guy who has played less than a handful of games for us with new teammates against Hutton who was fantastic for us last year. Every player is still getting up to speed after a long break.

Give the guy a chance!

Let's give May Wedderburn the 100 games it took Kyle Hutton to find decent form before we rush to judgement. As it happens I thought he was excellent yesterday; yes, he takes wrong turnings and can lose possession but it's been a long time since I've seen a Sons player who can kill the ball with his first touch and then play it - he found team-mates yesterday far more often than not. I thought he was a good signing and I still do, let's give him longer before we rush to judgement.

7 hours ago, super-son said:

You realise that you are judging a guy who has played less than a handful of games for us with new teammates against Hutton who was fantastic for us last year. Every player is still getting up to speed after a long break.

Give the guy a chance!

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
9 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Let's give May Wedderburn the 100 games it took Kyle Hutton to find decent form before we rush to judgement. As it happens I thought he was excellent yesterday; yes, he takes wrong turnings and can lose possession but it's been a long time since I've seen a Sons player who can kill the ball with his first touch and then play it - he found team-mates yesterday far more often than not. I thought he was a good signing and I still do, let's give him longer before we rush to judgement.

I should maybe clear up - I'm not rushing to any kind of judgement. I'll give any player a chance in a sons shirt. I was simple of the opinion that he should be producing better performances than he did yesterday and the only reason I voiced my opinion was because a few had come on here to praise him. I thought he was wasteful in possession and clumsy in given away fouls too often.

Fwiw, I always thought Kyle Hutton was getting a bit of a hard time of it when many of our fans were on his back and things. But, at the end of the day, that's just my opinion.

Not for the first time I feel as if I must have been watching elsewhere today. I thought Robert Jones was one of our best players, especially in the first half when nothing much else was happening. He worked hard, held up well and laid off to others a number of times. If anything the problem was that he was pretty isolated with our usual gap between forwards and midfield. JD clearly realised this an Carsy was further forward in the second. Hopefully too the return of JP and/ or young Hamilton should help with this.

4 hours ago, southernboy said:

Not for the first time I feel as if I must have been watching elsewhere today. I thought Robert Jones was one of our best players, especially in the first half when nothing much else was happening. He worked hard, held up well and laid off to others a number of times. If anything the problem was that he was pretty isolated with our usual gap between forwards and midfield. JD clearly realised this an Carsy was further forward in the second. Hopefully too the return of JP and/ or young Hamilton should help with this.

Judging by the way he was clattering into players off the ball yesterday, i would say he was lucky to be on the park so long....one thing for sure, Jones ain't no Chris Templeman...😀