Dundee United v Aberdeen

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Indeed. We've got three very limited centre halves. I can see the logic in playing all three in a kind of crude arithmetical solution but it's misjudged. You need guys who are comfortable on the ball in a back three as the two wider players need to be able to build play. None of ours are good enough to do that and so you have the unedifying sight of the three of them passing it amongst themselves ever more frantically before horsing it up the park. Better to replace one or more of them with an actual footballer somewhere else in the team and letting the remaining two concentrate on just winning headers and clearing the ball (which by and large they can do).

I'd probably to further and ditch two of those three, pull Butcher back alongside one of them and a better technical player in midfield. I like Butcher - and he still does a decent job - but he doesn't want to receive the ball from the defence. He's really only an asset in winning the ball. You need guys who can pass if you're going to do anything other than constantly scrap for the ball.

The young guy Neilson is comfy on the ball.

36 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Rado was a clown of a goalkeeper imo but you are probably correct.

I think Benji might be the best since that Polish goalie we had with the nickname The Mad Monk. Can't remember his real name...

Wouldn't quite go as far as to say he was a clown - id reserve that for the likes of Kawashima, Zwick, Szromnik and Lewis. Rado wasn't great in his last year with us but his first season he was fairly competent. Zaluska was the same but loved a camera save instead of just catching the ball.

From the Levein era id go

Weaver / Szamotulski 

Pernis (before he gave up)

Benji / Zaluska / Rado

But Benji is clearly still improving and will probably end up a good bit better than those two if he carries on this way. Hes better in the air than those two tbf.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

13 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

The young guy Neilson is comfy on the ball.

Aye. Though he's also defensively naive and not ready to be starting every week.

Not that he should be expepected to be anything other than that given that he's only 17.

Might be harsh, but Scott Wright needs to be a lot better in front of goal if he is going to continually be a first choice in the team.

Countless chances he has passed up this season, and there are a number of players that could play the same role. Think Watkins could easily drop deeper in the team to accommodate Cosgrove's return.

3 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Might be harsh, but Scott Wright needs to be a lot better in front of goal if he is going to continually be a first choice in the team.

Countless chances he has passed up this season, and there are a number of players that could play the same role. Think Watkins could easily drop deeper in the team to accommodate Cosgrove's return.

I think that’s exactly what will likely happen once Cosgrove is fit.

5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

The team is better with Wright in it. He takes up good positions which defences don’t like and it seems to work with him, Hedges and Watkins. 
He does need to score more though. 

7 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Just watched Sportscene and Wright's problem is that he wants too much time on the ball.  A couple of times he took a touch rather than hitting it first time.

Guest Bob Mahelp
28 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Even though he's improved this season, he's still a fucking pussy. 

I still feel that there's a mental and physical weakness to his game that means he'll never go further than the point he's at just now. 

4 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Rado was a clown of a goalkeeper imo but you are probably correct.

I think Benji might be the best since that Polish goalie we had with the nickname The Mad Monk. Can't remember his real name...

Your fellow Dundee United posters must really value and await your every thoughtful input.

Is it a memory lapse tonight, or general lack of intelligence as usually displayed my good man?

Or nowt better to do than red mark any Dark Blue postings above your natural operating level soft lad?

Best regards as always to my other Dundee United respected friends. 

Edit,  please display an intelligent response to explain your clear lack of whatever it is you actually are, in full display to your United friends.

I'm sure they're on the edge of their seats awaiting it, rather than sending another cowardly, inert red mark soft lad.

Best regards  

2nd edit, it's now after 11pm, shall we reconvene  tomorrow soft lad to await an intelligent response or call it a day as your obviously reluctant to remove any doubt as to your actual operating level by making any further comment.

Sadly pathetic, although understanding of your position, best regards my man.

Apologies again to my respected friends on this thread.  

Edited by This Charming Man

14 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

I'm not sure if this is allowed with the current restrictions but if it is then he should absolutely be keeping the third choice keeper Ritchie out after training and practicing his finishing.

Hedges played the first chance in with a bit too much power but Wright could have easily put that in with his left. Made it harder using his right.

In terms of United keepers, despite him now being fondly remembered for a Paul Jarvie moment and proclaiming United could win the treble, I thought Rado used to pull off a world class save in pretty much every Derby. Not that he usually needed to do so, but he was a bit of a b*****d that way.

Surprised United fans rate him so lowly. I'd have him ahead of your current keeper although admittedly, he is going from strength to strength.