Dundee United v Aberdeen

Thought we were better with Smith, Powers and McNulty on the pitch.

Aberdeen dominated majority of the game and will be disappointed not to have won but from a united point of view it was a slight improvement on the last few games.  Load of work to do , we create nothing!

Benji was man of the match.

I thought our defending was ok today. Rode our luck a couple of times but mainly coped well enough.

We can't seem to get a grip of things in the middle of the park. Pawlett is reverting back to his old self after a good start and Harkes isn't offering enough.

Hopefully Fuchs is the man.

2 minutes ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

As bad as the defence is the centre midfield position is where we lack the most imo. We just get dominated and can never impose ourselves in the games. If i was a religious believer/nutter I would prey that fuchs can be the guy to sort it. 

Butcher is too slow at this level and hes awful on the ball. Bin Connolly, get Butcher to CH and Fuchs in at cente midfield and it should be an improvement. Get a Collie dog in for Harkes and get the top 6 open top bus ready.

We shitfested our way to a draw and its a great result. Would have been a Carlsberg weekend if Chalmers could have controlled the ball and won the game towards the end.

Also, I never in a million years thought I'd ever say this, but Benji was outstanding today. 

33 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I wouldn't say they were well organised or strong at all. Countless times we couldn't beat the first man and missed three sitters.

The kept trying to play out from the back. None of their centre halves seemed to have it in them and neither of their cm's were making it any easier for them.

That's a game we should have won but I'm far from bitter. If I'm annoyed it's due to our failure to score guilt edged chances.

I agree with you, there was no way that they were organised or strong at all, particularly when they were three at the back. They kept handing us opportunities which we just couldn’t take. It really should have been 4 or 5 goals for us today. United’s keeper might single handedly keep them in the division.

Aberdeen fans are recognising the flaws in our defence, but I'm stunned any United supporters thought the central defenders collectively played well. Their distribution and anxious clearances just invited the opposition on to us again, and the only thing I can say in their favour is our midfield did nothing to help them out. 

Powers showed more poise when he came on, and individually Edwards was ok at the back, but he's not suited to a three.

43 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

Loving the same United fans who say they would be happy finishing tenth this season cry their eyes out after a draw with Aberdeen takes us into the top 6 after a full round of games.

Don't think anyone's complaining about the result but rather the performance. A half decent team would have absolutely hammered us.

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Don't think anyone's complaining about the result but rather the performance. A half decent team would have absolutely hammered us.

Ach it’s not folk on here I’m having a go at- more the vocal element of our fan base on Twitter and Facebook- more fool me for paying attention to it.

But after 5 years of awfulness in the doldrums I would hope for a little less negativity and a bit more persepective from the fan base generally given where we are- only my opinion though, others may think differently.

1 minute ago, dregs 83 said:

Ach it’s not folk on here I’m having a go at- more the vocal element of our fan base on Twitter and Facebook- more fool me for paying attention to it.

But after 5 years of awfulness in the doldrums I would hope for a little less negativity and a bit more persepective from the fan base generally given where we are- only my opinion though, others may think differently.

I'm of a similar mindset. Avoid the other social media it's a shit show of opinions from some folk who should be a little more positive and a lot less happy clappy for some

30 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Aberdeen fans are recognising the flaws in our defence, but I'm stunned any United supporters thought the central defenders collectively played well. Their distribution and anxious clearances just invited the opposition on to us again, and the only thing I can say in their favour is our midfield did nothing to help them out. 

Powers showed more poise when he came on, and individually Edwards was ok at the back, but he's not suited to a three.

Indeed. We've got three very limited centre halves. I can see the logic in playing all three in a kind of crude arithmetical solution but it's misjudged. You need guys who are comfortable on the ball in a back three as the two wider players need to be able to build play. None of ours are good enough to do that and so you have the unedifying sight of the three of them passing it amongst themselves ever more frantically before horsing it up the park. Better to replace one or more of them with an actual footballer somewhere else in the team and letting the remaining two concentrate on just winning headers and clearing the ball (which by and large they can do).

I'd probably to further and ditch two of those three, pull Butcher back alongside one of them and a better technical player in midfield. I like Butcher - and he still does a decent job - but he doesn't want to receive the ball from the defence. He's really only an asset in winning the ball. You need guys who can pass if you're going to do anything other than constantly scrap for the ball.

We must start playing better or by the next full round of games we will be down to about 9th or 10th.

We rode our luck today, Aberdeen should have scored, and if we don’t improve we will be punished over the coming fixtures.

I know all of the above is stating the bleeding obvious but Mellon has to change things or we are going to struggle badly.

11 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

It’s been clear for a long time that Benji is quality.

He was decent for parts of last season but he has been pretty good so far this season. He's come off his line alot more and is getting down to shots sharper too. 

Last season there were still times he gave me the absolute fear.

Hats off to the guy though. He's come on a good whack this season already. Definitely the best weve had since Rado but thats not really doing him justice tbf.

15 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Hats off to the guy though. He's come on a good whack this season already. Definitely the best weve had since Rado but thats not really doing him justice tbf.

Rado was a clown of a goalkeeper imo but you are probably correct.

I think Benji might be the best since that Polish goalie we had with the nickname The Mad Monk. Can't remember his real name...

Rado was a clown of a goalkeeper imo but you are probably correct.
I think Benji might be the best since that Polish goalie we had with the nickname The Mad Monk. Can't remember his real name...

That would also put Siegrist ahead of Pernis?

7 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Pernis was good but Benji's good too. Both better than Rado, I think, who was quite good. I don't think Benji's been a first pick anywhere before coming to United and so it was understandable that he started rather slowly. He's been good since at least the start of last season and is continuing to improve, imo.

Edit: mind when we had loads of good/very good keepers back to back for a number of years: Szamotulski - Zaluska - Weaver - Pernis. I can't for the life of me remember what happened next. 

Edited by Pull My Strings

11 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I liked Dusan but he could be a bit flappy and flogged a few goals due to having weak wrists.

If Siegrist continues with the same consistency he has shown so far until the end of the season I would put him ahead of Pernis.

Glad no one has mentioned Zaluska who, for some reason, United fans seemed to rate despite being a flapping mess of a goalkeeper.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo