Scotland vs Slovakia (UEFA Nations League)

charger29

6 minutes ago, greenockraver said:

Its encouraging to see Gallagher on almost everyone's squad . Thought he was really good on thursday. In fact , much of what I hoped McKenna would be I saw in him the other night . 

I’ve thought Gallagher was one of our best centre-halves for a few seasons, but I’m a Livi fan so a bit biased. Hopefully Mckenna’s move to Forest is the right move at the right time for him and he grows as a player down South, and hopefully stays injury free. But by all accounts Cooper played decent on Thursday and we have Tierney at  LCB, so beginning to get competition at the back can only be good for the team.

3 minutes ago, Mean Gene said:

What’s wrong with McBurnie? 

No end product, he hasn’t scored or provided any assists in the time he’s played for Scotland. I’d still have him in the squad, but I’d prefer to see Dykes and Shankland against Slovakia, if we play 2 up front

2 minutes ago, Rscot said:

No end product, he hasn’t scored or provided any assists in the time he’s played for Scotland. I’d still have him in the squad, but I’d prefer to see Dykes and Shankland against Slovakia, if we play 2 up front

Aye he must have something that just isnt compatible with our current set up. He tried his arse off the other night but couldn't trap the ball or knock it on unlike dykes who looked like a far superior player . Not great by any means though Dykes looks like he has some decent potential to do well with us. 

Edited by greenockraver

2 minutes ago, Rscot said:

Let’s be honest, apart from McGinn, has any player covered themselves in Glory since Steve Clarke has come in? The entire team has had no end product and the service to the striker(s) has been non existent.

McBurnie ran himself into the ground on Thursday and has the physical attributes for international football. I think we should stick with him and Dykes for the time being. Him and Dykes look a handful for most defences.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Has Paul McGinn not been playing as an RCB in a back 3 for Hibs?

Guess he's more likely to play there than as a RWB.

Last season I think that was true, I think this season Hibs have been playing 4-4-2 with McGinn at right-back. But i think if Clarke is going to play 3/5 at the back then it’s best to try and get consistency of player selection, that’s why I’d play the same back 3/5 if possible. Especially concerning Mctominey, if Clarke see him as a right centre halve, he’s got to give him as much playing time there as possible. Could see McGinn replace O’Donnell, if there was to be a change at the back. 

4 minutes ago, Mean Gene said:

Let’s be honest, apart from McGinn, has any player covered themselves in Glory since Steve Clarke has come in? The entire team has had no end product and the service to the striker(s) has been non existent.

McBurnie ran himself into the ground on Thursday and has the physical attributes for international football. I think we should stick with him and Dykes for the time being. Him and Dykes look a handful for most defences.

True, but Id like to see Dykes and Shankland as a partnership, out of the strikers we have in the squad, I think Shankland is the best finisher of them. If Griffiths gets back to playing regularly, I’d like to see him and Dykes playing together, Griffiths is the still the best finisher we have who could play for us.

14 minutes ago, greenockraver said:

Aye he must have something that just isnt compatible with our current set up. He tried his arse off the other night but couldn't trap the ball or knock it on unlike dykes who looked like a far superior player . Not great by any means though Dykes looks like he has some decent potential to do well with us. 

I think Dykes is the most versatile forward we have in our squad, he can play up front on his own if required and occupy defenders. 

The other thing I like about Dykes is his attitude, he’s got that Aussie, “don’t give a toss, let’s get stuck in about them attitude”, he wants to win and hates losing.

4 minutes ago, Rscot said:

True, but Id like to see Dykes and Shankland as a partnership, out of the strikers we have in the squad, I think Shankland is the best finisher of them. If Griffiths gets back to playing regularly, I’d like to see him and Dykes playing together, Griffiths is the still the best finisher we have who could play for us.

Griffiths I agree. For me if he is back in the squad then there is no need for Shankland. I don’t know what it is but when Shankland is on the pitch he looks like a little boy who has won a competition. 

1 minute ago, Mean Gene said:

Griffiths I agree. For me if he is back in the squad then there is no need for Shankland. I don’t know what it is but when Shankland is on the pitch he looks like a little boy who has won a competition. 

You’ve got Griffith’s if he gets back to form, Shankland and Nisbett at Hibs who could all partner Dykes and who are good finishers. Patterson and McBurnie competing with Dykes for the big man, target man role. I also think Ross Stewart at Ross County could play in this position, I like what I’ve seen of him. And you have Hornby at u21.

27 minutes ago, Rscot said:

Last season I think that was true, I think this season Hibs have been playing 4-4-2 with McGinn at right-back. But i think if Clarke is going to play 3/5 at the back then it’s best to try and get consistency of player selection, that’s why I’d play the same back 3/5 if possible. Especially concerning Mctominey, if Clarke see him as a right centre halve, he’s got to give him as much playing time there as possible. Could see McGinn replace O’Donnell, if there was to be a change at the back. 

Certainly four at the back ; McGinn ( soon to be capped ) , Porteous ( per McGinn ) , Hanlon ( should be in the squad ) , Stevenson ( capped )

Doig ( to be capped in the future )

1 minute ago, ewan14 said:

Certainly four at the back ; McGinn ( soon to be capped ) , Porteous ( per McGinn ) , Hanlon ( should be in the squad ) , Stevenson ( capped )

Doig ( to be capped in the future )

I like the look of Doig, from what I’ve seen of him he looks quality at left back. Don’t think Scotland have too many worries about this position for the foreseeable future. 

Would make quite a few changes for this one, so...

----------------------- McLaughlin-----------------------------

---McTominay---Gallagher------Considine-------

--McCrorie---------Fleck----McLean------------Taylor--

---------------------------Fraser-------------------------

----------------------Dykes----Shankland--------------

Chance to rest all of Marshall, Cooper, Robertson, J. McGinn, Jack, McGregor, McBurnie, 

With an eye for the line up v the Czechs being...

------------------------Marshall----------------------------

-----------McTominay--Cooper---Gallagher-------------

--Fraser------------McGinn--Jack-----------Robertson---

-------------------------McGregor-----------------------------

--------------------Dykes-----McBurnie-------------------------

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not sure we should be treating this as lightly as the media seems to be wanting us to. f**k the Euros, this is our chance to get a backdoor entry to the World Cup!

Am I right in thinking that theres 2 playoff places up for grabs in the NL , but the assumption is that most a Division A and B group winners will have qualified through the main group section, thereby opening the door for smaller nations ? 

Edited by greenockraver

22 minutes ago, Rscot said:

You’ve got Griffith’s if he gets back to form, Shankland and Nisbett at Hibs who could all partner Dykes and who are good finishers. Patterson and McBurnie competing with Dykes for the big man, target man role. I also think Ross Stewart at Ross County could play in this position, I like what I’ve seen of him. And you have Hornby at u21.

For me Patterson should not be on the squad. He is not up to it. Looked like a rugby player running about a football pitch on Thursday night. 

Griffiths (if fit), Dykes, McBurnie are your men. 

Then your looking at Burke, Nesbit at Hibs and Hornby from the 21’s. 

Edited by Mean Gene

2 minutes ago, Mean Gene said:

For me Patterson should not be on the squad. He is not up to it. Looked like a rugby player running about a football pitch on Thursday night. 

Griffiths (if fit), Dykes, McBurnie are your men. 

Then your looking at Burke, Nesbit at Hibs and Hornby from the 21’s. 

I also think Stewart is better than Patterson, hopefully he gets a move down to the English Championship and gets played as an out and out centre forward. But we’ll see how Patterson gets on at Sheffield, he’s not played much for Cardiff and the move will hopefully be good for him.