Scotland vs Slovakia (UEFA Nations League)

charger29

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

We were a penalty shoot out away from turning on Steve Clarke. He's in a position that is known for not receiving much patience and the doom and gloom will return every time we don't churn out a result with this style of play.

Fair fucks to him though - it's worked so far and long may it continue.

The Serbia game is the big one. Win that and get us to the Euros and he can do no wrong.

34 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I really don't know or give a shit, why not creature a Paddy forum, where you and anyone else is interested can go f**k themselves. 

This was not a joke.

^^^OFTW 

I thought Fleck did well enough. He kept the ball mostly, put a few tackles in and won a few fouls. He hasn't had that much game time for Scotland but he is a quality player. I'm sure he'll show it with a couple more starts.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

^^^OFTW 

Up to you before I comment again, IS it South or North....when you answer, we can call which whole category of an arsehole.  See Scarf, your speaking about Ireland when Scotland is just about to win the World Cup, how fuckin dare you.... 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Is it just a coincidence that the fortunes of Scotland and the North and South Ireland teams look to be flipping? 

Scotland now appear to have a manager who knows how to organise a team and make them hard to beat. Whereas the Irelands have Ian Barraclough and proven shite manager Stephen Kenny, having previously had the O'Neills. 

Why would it be more than a coincidence? Do you know something? Maybe it's some Celtic (hard "c") voodoo that decrees that the three of us can't be decent at the same time.

I actually thought Norn Iron were great against Bosnia. They were passionate, organised and some of their players (McGinn especially) played above themselves and looked class.

26 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Up to you before I comment again, IS it South or North....when you answer, we can call which whole category of an arsehole.  See Scarf, your speaking about Ireland when Scotland is just about to win the World Cup, how fuckin dare you.... 

Sorry, its not Northern Ireland  and the Republic of Ireland.  It's North and South/Southern Ireland.

Also, delete your account immediately.  

I thought we looked a lot better last night, you could argue that they werent at full strength but could name about 6 or 7 who I would probably start in our strongest 11 that we had missing also. Hopefully get another win on Wednesday and confidence/morale will be through the roof for the final. Well done Clarke

I thought we performed much better last night in comparison to the previous 3 recent internationals. The system seemed to click a bit, and while we weren't that effective when attacking, I think we seemed well in control of the majority of the match.

My only concern is, we haven't really faced anyone yet with any great quality. If it's the Czech first team we face midweek then that will probably be a better barometer of where we are, and then Serbia next month too.

Solid at the back yet again though and all 3 centre halves deserve praise for their performance.

Two of four teams, not sixteen.
For example, if the groups below were the final standings, we'd only need to be concerned about where the teams highlighted in green finish in their WC qualifying groups.
All other teams are of no consequence as they wouldn't be considered for a playoff spot.
image.thumb.png.1fbf488a629a5f47811c917299fbaa8e.png

If any of those four teams fall out of contention for top place in their World Cup qualifying group they can get their feet up. No point pushing themselves to get second spot and a playoff, they’re already in the playoffs...

Yes, it seems entirely likely that Italy, England, Portugal and Spain would fall out of contention for top place, that's something that regularly happens.

The groups aren’t finished yet... It’s not exactly unlikely that it could go to the final day and two teams could be playing for third and second. One is in the playoffs regardless of the result and the other needs to finish second to get in the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, Lex said:

If any of those four teams fall out of contention for top place in their World Cup qualifying group they can get their feet up. No point pushing themselves to get second spot and a playoff, they’re already in the playoffs...

You've essentially decided you don't understand the Nations League so no one should care about it 

Some of our play down the left was exactly what I expect us to be doing: quick interchanges between Robertson, Fraser and often McBurnie and McGinn with one guy going beyond and pulling the ball back. Imagine how good our left side can be with Robertson, Fraser plus McGregor pulling wide and Tierney pushing up. Dykes/McBurnie and McGinn can rotate with their positions too and we'll become a really exciting attacking team to add to the sturdy defence.

There's also not enough love for SJM's performance. If you give him the ball in a counter attack then he's got a 90% chance of progressing it into the opposition's third and, if not, he'll win a foul. His vision/ideas are quite underrated too, even if he doesn't always pull it off.

You've essentially decided you don't understand the Nations League so no one should care about it 

When did I say that? It’s been great for us as far as the Euros are concerned. Winning a group with Israel and Albania in it and then beating Israel on penalties has remarkably put us one game away from a major tournament. This would never have happened without the nations league. It’s given nations like us, who can’t get close to qualifying through the normal routes, a chance.

Point is simply that there’s a fairly decent chance that winning this group will not even get us to a World Cup playoff. Whereas with the Euros winning our group guaranteed us a playoff spot.

17 minutes ago, Lex said:

The groups aren’t finished yet... It’s not exactly unlikely that it could go to the final day and two teams could be playing for third and second. One is in the playoffs regardless of the result and the other needs to finish second to get in the playoffs.

I would expect the play-offs to be seeded, with the Nations League teams automatically at the bottom, so even in that entirely common scenario where a team like Spain are battling it out for second place going into the final match, they would clearly want to win to make sure they don't end up paired up with anyone half-decent.