Scotland vs Slovakia (UEFA Nations League)

charger29

58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Two of four teams, not sixteen.

For example, if the groups below were the final standings, we'd only need to be concerned about where the teams highlighted in green finish in their WC qualifying groups.

All other teams are of no consequence as they wouldn't be considered for a playoff spot.

image.thumb.png.1fbf488a629a5f47811c917299fbaa8e.png

He's had a nightmare on the thread tonight.

Whilst there are still criticisms to be made of our last few games, I'm coming round to the idea that Clarke is bedding in something that might just work for us - Fraser's movement and the improvement of the wing backs in pushing up with some purpose and McTominay looking more comfortable has contributed. 

We're testing ourselves against progressively better opposition and it will be interesting to see us against a stronger Czech side on Wednesday - aside from being a big game in its own right, it should be a very good benchmark for what we can do in the playoff.

We were a penalty shoot out away from turning on Steve Clarke. He's in a position that is known for not receiving much patience and the doom and gloom will return every time we don't churn out a result with this style of play.

Fair fucks to him though - it's worked so far and long may it continue.

So much better tonight than against Israel, particularly in the second half. Chuffed for Considine and spoke well after about what it means to him. That's a really ad-hoc Slovak team they've put together, the real test will be on Wednesday with a lot of the Czech first XI back in business. 

That wasn't eye bleeding at all.

It's not pretty but it's not turgid. Chances created.

Very much like the Walter Smith era.

We aren't creating much. It's effective though and I'm all for it if we get the results. It was an enjoyable performance in so much that we did show improvement again but if I wasn't a Scotland fan I wouldn't want to watch that performance.

That's demonstrably not true, whether Crocker says so or not.

I'm struggling to think of any other shot that has had the opposition 'keeper making a save in the past two games. I may be wrong but I certainly can't think of any.

18 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I'm struggling to think of any other shot that has had the opposition 'keeper making a save in the past two games. I may be wrong but I certainly can't think of any.

The keeper doesn’t need to make a save for a shot on target. Fraser stuck a free kick into the wall at some point for a start. Feeble toe bashes in the general direction of the opposition goal probably happened here and there over the duration too.

Decent result, fell asleep during the game due so missed most of it but form what I saw we looked pretty decent without really cutting the Slovaks apart much.

Maybe Clarke is starting to get things going.

We turned up and every player did their job. Funny when you play players in positions at least to their abilities, you end up playing decent.

Tbf I wouldn’t mind gash football as long as we play to our strengths, like last night. Against Israel we didn’t look like we had any sort of idea how to score at all.

7 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Maybe Clarke is starting to get things going.

From a success perspective, what we really need is for teams to be genuinely thinking “this lot are tough to beat” rather than “you usually get a good game off Scotland, but usually the win too”.  None of the ‘difficult to beat’ anti-arrogance arse-covering nonsense.

Edited by Hedgecutter

The team looked terrible in every way last month, solid enough but clueless going forward on Thursday and then genuinely pretty good in the second half tonight. I'm not fully convinced we've really been tested at the back in the last couple of games, but if the back three still looks solid on Wednesday and we can build on the semi-decent attacking performance in the second half tonight then I might actually be able to muster some optimism for the Serbia game.

I don't know if this formation will be the way forward, but if it is then it'll be to Clarke's credit that he stuck with it despite initially looking like a fucking idiot for doing so. It would have been very easy for him to bin it after the first Israel game.

After watching the post match coverage. We clearly have character in this team . 

Was impressed with considine on and off the pitch tonight he comes across as a guy who whilst is aware he is one part of a system, he seems confident in his ability to fulfil his task citing his experience and being surrounded by more technically adept players. 

Wee fraser also highlighted the fact that everyone wants to be in the squad at this moment. When ryan fraser is saying that you would assume its the case given recent history. 

Edited by greenockraver

I feel better about things than I did last month, certainly, though still really worry about the Serbia game. As others have noted above we haven’t really been tested defensively yet - hopefully the Czechs offer a decent barometer on Wednesday and I can get fully on board the hype train. 

#juggernaut

A much better performance tonight, just about every man played well. Fleck was probably the weakest in the XI but the team played well as a unit and no complaints about the result as we've got a system that's working for us. We haven't really been tested by a team with a lot of pace yet but I can see improvements with more or less every game we play. Last month with the same system we looked atrocious and it seemed as if the players were totally clueless. Now they look like they know how it's supposed to work and are getting to grips with it. If this is anything to go by then by next month we should be up for it against Serbia and go to Belgrade knowing that we'll be a tough team for them to get something against.

Also have to say I've been critical of Andy Considine in the past but absolutely chuffed for him tonight. Played a really good game, didn't look like it was his international debut at all and was delighted to not only be a part of the squad, but to start and he looked like he was giving it his all. Add to that O'Donnell, Gallagher and McBurnie in particular looked up for it tonight and played well. In a time when there's an attitude of doing anything to get out of playing for your national team it's good to see players who want to pull on the dark blue and give their all for the cause.

3 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

#juggernaut

A much better performance tonight, just about every man played well. Fleck was probably the weakest in the XI but the team played well as a unit and no complaints about the result as we've got a system that's working for us. We haven't really been tested by a team with a lot of pace yet but I can see improvements with more or less every game we play. Last month with the same system we looked atrocious and it seemed as if the players were totally clueless. Now they look like they know how it's supposed to work and are getting to grips with it. If this is anything to go by then by next month we should be up for it against Serbia and go to Belgrade knowing that we'll be a tough team for them to get something against.

Also have to say I've been critical of Andy Considine in the past but absolutely chuffed for him tonight. Played a really good game, didn't look like it was his international debut at all and was delighted to not only be a part of the squad, but to start and he looked like he was giving it his all. Add to that O'Donnell, Gallagher and McBurnie in particular looked up for it tonight and played well. In a time when there's an attitude of doing anything to get out of playing for your national team it's good to see players who want to pull on the dark blue and give their all for the cause.

inspiring stuff. agree

I always have "it's the hope that kills you" in the back of my mind when it comes to scotland but theres something about this squad . There was a big character in the watty/mcleish squad hopefully we can get something along those lines back again because whether ye like it or not, that's what we seem to be good at .

Edited by greenockraver

Got up again at 01:30 to watch this as I always do, you'll never know how easy it has been over the years to click the alarm and say fucki it.

Anyway to the game, we were solid, however I don't think they were any good up front, less than Israel anyway.  They are also not good travelers, someone earlier in the thread mentioned they had 9 changes (their B team), you could have argued that was our B team. If all were fit, I think only Marshall, Tctommy, Robertson, McGinn Jr. & Dykes are our first picks....(before KO)

Defense look solid ( but as said before no thret really from them), Midfield, McGinn does is job of getting the ball and turning, McLean was good, too many touches at time. Fleck, didn't do much.  Forwards were great Fraser, ran an was unlucky in a few times, he went left or right when the flick on was the opposite way. Dykes.  I like....can hold and has more pace than I thought, but more important, get 1 chance and scores.

All in all good performance, but let's not get too carried away, the last game, we were 1 kick away from a wave of "sack the manager" comments, which were at the start of the thread.  It will not be pretty, however when have Scotland ever been the free flowing football that we see every week in the SPFL (that's a joke), 

I really do feel for some boys & girls on this forum, who have never experience the tournament finals, it's 22 years now, were getting there, step by step.  

Game on Wednesday will question our back 5 a lot more.. Let's see where were at after that, It's a big game.

PS Did Roberston, intentionally get booked? I think he did, he also did it in the first half and got away with it. Misses the Czezh game, but will be available, for the Serbia, I'm sure he gave the nod to the bench after he got booked.

Edited by SlipperyP

1 more then I'll leave, nothing to fear from the Serbs, they are more or less in our league....No fans, will make a big difference over there....

I make this comment as I have zero knowledge of any of their players or result, apart from last night gubbin from Hungary. and we beat Hungary in 2018 AWAY.....

My name is (insert any Sky Sports Pundit).

Edited by SlipperyP

Is it just a coincidence that the fortunes of Scotland and the North and South Ireland teams look to be flipping? 

Scotland now appear to have a manager who knows how to organise a team and make them hard to beat. Whereas the Irelands have Ian Barraclough and proven shite manager Stephen Kenny, having previously had the O'Neills. 

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Is it just a coincidence that the fortunes of Scotland and the North and South Ireland teams look to be flipping? 

Scotland now appear to have a manager who knows how to organise a team and make them hard to beat. Whereas the Irelands have Ian Barraclough and proven shite manager Stephen Kenny, having previously had the O'Neills. 

I really don't know or give a shit, why not creature a Paddy forum, where you and anyone else is interested can go f**k themselves. 

This was not a joke.