Scotland vs Slovakia (UEFA Nations League)

charger29

Just now, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Yeah, Dykes took his goal well, but I think that McBurnie will fair better against a stronger defence.

Absolutely makes total sense. Thats what's holding mcburnie back the players in the opposition aren't good enough.

He needs to be playing against the absolute best players in the world in order to show his best form.

Much better, looks like the players are adapting to the system, some nice link up in the 2nd half. Fraser’s pace on the break was crucial to it and I thought McGinn was excellent, McTominay strolled it. I like Dykes, he is a smart player. Also the best McBurnie has  played.

Much better team press - on Thursday Bitton could wander up to the half way line with no pressure but Fraser seemed to lead the press tonight.

Craig Brown’s teams were set up in a similar way, we were’t creating much but were very hard to break down and we qualified for stuff and I suspect Clarke realises this.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Either football's not for you, or you're very well named.

We have a squad with no decent goal scorers, no decent central defenders and no decent right back. The priority is to be hard to beat. We've been asking for ages why we can't do an Ireland or a Northern Ireland and battle our way to a tournament. Well, here it is. We controlled a game against a team that should be better than us.

Honestly, we may well look back and say a team was born this week. 

Slovakia shouldn't be better than us, but everything else I agree with.

What's most pleasing for me is that's 210 minutes plus stoppage time in the last three days, and we have allowed the opposition one good chance on goal in that time.  That's outstanding, and very unlike Scotland.

Managing to form a team for the first time in ages. Players who want to play for their country. Hopefully we are going to have more to play for in the near future. Maybe having no crowds has taken some of the heat out of developing a way of making the most of the players we have.

6 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Remember how the Republic of Ireland shitfest their way to tournaments? There  is more than a touch of that style about us at the moment.

Mind you, their shitfest festival was more or less successful over a 20 year period.

I would take it though, if it got us to tournaments.

I was just coming on to post that.  A very South Ireland circa 2010-2016 performance tonight - eye bleedinly shite at times and very direct. But it gets results. 

2 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Much better, looks like the players are adapting to the system, some nice link up in the 2nd half. Fraser’s pace on the break was crucial to it and I thought McGinn was excellent, McTominay strolled it. I like Dykes, he is a smart player. Also the best McBurnie has  played.

Much better team press - on Thursday Bitton could wander up to the half way line with no pressure but Fraser seemed to lead the press tonight.

Craig Brown’s teams were set up in a similar way, we were’t creating much but were very hard to break down and we qualified for stuff and I suspect Clarke realises this.

That team is very reminiscent of a Craig Brown team, but they were further on in their development. The wingbacks worked well and his team passed the ball very well. This team will get there.

Danny Lennon should move his kids soccer Island to Australia.

Dykes and Fraser played really well tonight. It wasn’t a vintage performance but we were solid at the back and played really well in spells. I’m feeling much more positive than I was on Thursday night.

Unbeaten in over a year since eight games ago against Russia and every game has been shite!!!
Maybe we’ve been doing it wrong for all these years!!!

10 minutes ago, Lex said:

Far as I can see the only way we get one of the two World Cup playoff spots available via nations league is if no two teams ranked higher than us won their nations league group and didn’t finish in the top two of their World Cup qualifying group. If two of the sixteen teams in league A fall Into that category we won’t make the playoff.

Two of four teams, not sixteen.

For example, if the groups below were the final standings, we'd only need to be concerned about where the teams highlighted in green finish in their WC qualifying groups.

All other teams are of no consequence as they wouldn't be considered for a playoff spot.

image.thumb.png.1fbf488a629a5f47811c917299fbaa8e.png