Scotland vs Slovakia (UEFA Nations League)

charger29

Just now, Illgresi said:

Aye, lets keep McTominay in defence despite him being an absolute minter, instead of playing a proper centre back like Considine or Porteous...

This is the level of hard hitting analysis which makes me glad I devote hours upon hours of my time to This Forum.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

This is the level of hard hitting analysis which makes me glad I devote hours upon hours of my time to This Forum.

It would be pointless for me to provide any more detailed an analysis of McTominay's ability as a centre back when "complete minter" describes it perfectly.

33 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If we assume the back five stays and McTominay is going to continue as a defender against Serbia...

Marshall

Jack McTominay Gallagher Cooper Robertson

Fleck McGinn McGregor

Dykes McBurnie

I get that we're not exactly spoiled for choice in that position, but has Jack ever played right wing-back before in his career? 

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

You make a fair point that Dykes and McBurnie are pretty similar but I have seen nothing from Shankland to suggest he's at the level we need. McBurnie can be frustrating at times but I don't see someone paying 20m for Shankland any time soon. Burke next to one of Dykes/McBurnie might be a shout since he can run beyond the defence rather than playing with his back to goal.

As I say I don't know much about McBurnie as a player other than what he's done for Scotland, it's largely been a non event when he's on, Burke might be a shout as well, can drift wide and put it back in for Dykes and go beyond.  I would like to see if Shankland and Dykes works, Dykes was pretty shagged out by the time he got on the other night so never got to see it like in the first half where he was very good. 

Nah I also think Shankland is past that price tag now, if he'd gone south rather than Dundee United from Ayr and scored at that same rate quite probably, you need to be not in Scotland for that kinda money to be spent on you (of excluded). But he didn't do it so pointless going further on that.  

4 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

People really, really need to understand playing as a wing back is not the same as playing as a full back.

Was thinking McCrorie could play there is because he's played as both a right back and right midfield (as well as his more usual positions).  

I can't understand people wanting to dish out caps like sweets for this or wanting to give another keeper a shot in goal. If not for the competitive importance of the next two games in their own right, you're not going to get much better preparation for the play-off than two home games against Slovakia and Czech Republic and we should stay full-strength where possible.

I'm not big on either the personnel we have available or the 3-5-2, but I live in hope that it might match up better against a decent opposition rather than a diddy like Israel. I would prefer to see McTominay in the middle of a back three though and allow him to step up which would allow us more flexibility throughout the match. 

Maybe something like this

scotland-slovakia-b16164691df394f668d49b3f3dcbe7e6.jpg

scotland-slovakia-d676b10a6a39483932747ebdf4701388.jpg

Fraser came on against Israel and made us look more than just a team of statues too scared to create anything. On that basis alone, he should start ahead of O’Donnell, who is fucking nowhere near good enough. It isn’t hard this. I would rather start McGinn at right-back as well, that’s how shite O’Donnell is.

McTominay is wasted (to say the very least) at CB and Considine or Porteous should be playing there to allow him to actually influence the game. Again, it isn’t hard this to play your better players in positions that will give you the best opportunity to dominate the midfield and create chances.

Il be disappointed if O’Donnell starts got to be the worst right back I’ve ever seen play for Scotland.

Mcginn jack mcgrorie mctominay would all do a better job there.
Really? Would they? A bunch of midfielders? Nah. Not at this level. I'd be half tempted to play Taylor Lwb and Robertson right and cutting inside. Then again I despise this formation.

Clarke didn’t bring in three players who can all play RB because O’Donnell and Jack are match fit.

McGinn was brought in because Palmer was injured and we need another right back. I'd be very worried if the addition of Considine, a centre back who hasn't played right-back, let along right wing-back, in his puff, or McCrorie, who is first and foremost a central midfielder, had anything to do with the right wing-back position.