Scotland vs Slovakia (UEFA Nations League)

charger29

I tried to pick a team but really don't know how to. Hard to tell the fitness levels of the players for a start. One or two debuts seems likely anyway.

Presumably Fleck & McLean are certs to start. Fraser, Paterson & Shankland will be involved a fair amount. Marshall shouldn't have any trouble playing 3 home games in 6 days. Other than that I haven't got a scooby what the plan is.

Slovakia are going through almost exactly the same situation with Covid cases, injuries, going to penalties last night + they've got to travel.

My concern is right back.  Paterson or Jack at RB just doesn't sit well with me.  Presume that O'Donnell won't be match fit quick enough for Sunday.

Perhaps one of the u21s to be brought in? Patterson?  At least provides us some cover.  

I imagine we'll also bring in Turnbull and/or Campbell.  Only three outfield players didn't make it on the pitch last night - Fleck, Taylor, Porteous.

I imagine all three will get game time by 21.30 Wednesday.

Clarke usually makes a bunch of changes for the second game of a double header anyway, so f**k knows what this will be like having played ET a couple of days before.

You'd imagine the CBs will stay the same, Robertson will hopefully be fine, Dykes and McBurnie should be OK but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them drop out. McGregor will probably play too. Fleck, Fraser and maybe McCrorie or McLean could come in (push McGregor or Fleck up to a 10). I suppose Porteous could play to put McTominay at CB but if Clarke's sticking with that, and last night was better from him, then I'd just keep at it.

41 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

My concern is right back.  Paterson or Jack at RB just doesn't sit well with me.  Presume that O'Donnell won't be match fit quick enough for Sunday.

Perhaps one of the u21s to be brought in? Patterson?  At least provides us some cover.  

I imagine we'll also bring in Turnbull and/or Campbell.  Only three outfield players didn't make it on the pitch last night - Fleck, Taylor, Porteous.

Has he not called up super Paul McGinn ?

Yes he has , and Ross McCrorie !

Well done Steve !

Edited by ewan14

27 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Agree , except maybe Fraser at right wing back ?

44 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Not sure about Porto , unfortunately

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
21 minutes ago, ewan14 said:
Has he not called up super christian name McGinn ?

I don't think McGinn can play wing-back. He's usually on the right of the back three if Hibs play 3-5-2.

True , I was thinking more if he reverted

( had to revert ) to a back four

We could have a Hibs right side of defence instead of a Well right side of defence

Edited by ewan14

With any combination of the players at our disposal, but especially with changes needed, it should be a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1. It will be a 3-5-2 and it will add to the 300 minutes of garbage we've served up already with similar systems.

6 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

With any combination of the players at our disposal, but especially with changes needed, it should be a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1. It will be a 3-5-2 and it will add to the 300 minutes of garbage we've served up already with similar systems.

4 - 5 - 1

40 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Aye, pretty much this.

If he thinks what we had on the park last night is largely our best XI then he should stick with it again on Sunday. As we're seeing with the playoffs from the previous campaign, these Nations League games are arguably even more important for a team like us than the more traditional qualifiers.

My team wouldn't have us playing the back five, but if he's insistent on it I'd have Jack at RWB and bring Fleck into midfield.

Edited by Marshmallo

16 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If we could get promoted to the top division ahead of Euro 2024 qualifiers then we will be in a great position btw. Look at the route Iceland have got in their playoffs. Easier than ours two divisions down.

Last night Iceland beat Romania, who are ranked ahead of every team in our playoff route.

5 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Last night Iceland beat Romania, who are ranked ahead of every team in our playoff route.

The reason Romania were in the League A path was because they finished as runners-up to Serbia in their Nations League group.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The reason Romania were in the League A path was because they finished as runners-up to Serbia in their Nations League group.

In which they drew both matches they played against eachother.  Very similar record in main qualifying last year too - I certainly wouldn't think there's much difference between them.