Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

2 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Realistically if fit it will be McTominay McKenna Tierney/Cooper and so it should be.

Considine etc were brought in to do a job, they did it great, but if they're available you obviously pick your best players for your biggest game in nearly twenty years. Its a complete no-brainer. 

Considine etc have established themselves as good options should we need them again and will probably feature in squads a bit now, but that's it.

And btw they didn't do that well against the Czechs they created about forty good chances and could easily have scored a few goals.

No, squares pegs don't go into round holes we need to pick the best team for the occasion so some of the 'best players' may have to sit this one out.

5 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

No, squares pegs don't go into round holes we need to pick the best team for the occasion so some of the 'best players' may have to sit this one out.

Which square peg would be going into a round hole in the formation that the previous poster outlined? The only player playing out of position is McTominay, but he has clearly cemented that role nonetheless.

Is Clarke his own man or does he listen to the noise.  We will see next month but he also has to play with the cards he is dealt.  Injuries and Covid may reduce his options.

Edited by ropy

8 hours ago, AlbionMan said:

Tierney has been playing LCB in a 3 with Arsenal, he can slot straight in no bother, and the other two play where they've been playing.  Its harsh on Considine and Gallagher who did great and they will get more caps, but those two are better players so if available they play.

9 hours ago, ropy said:

Is Clarke his own man or does he listen to the noise.  We will see next month but he also has to play with the cards he is dealt.  Injuries and Covid may reduce his options.

I think it's clear from sticking with a system that initially looked utterly guff that he is his own man.  And, as someone who was talking just a few weeks ago like if he didn't beat Israel he should be punted, I can say he's proved to be correct, and I've proved to be completely fucking wrong.

McKenna is 6th choice at CB now given performances of others in the last round of matches. He is a big lumbering oaf so that's a good thing.

I'd go McTominay-Cooper-Tierney, but can understand why you'd pick Gallagher. Considine has moved ahead of McKenna for me and was surprisingly decent, but I don't think he performed any better than Cooper did over the piece.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

McKenna is 6th choice at CB now given performances of others in the last round of matches. He is a big lumbering oaf so that's a good thing.

I'd go McTominay-Cooper-Tierney, but can understand why you'd pick Gallagher. Considine has moved ahead of McKenna for me and was surprisingly decent, but I don't think he performed any better than Cooper did over the piece.

Nah that's shite.  McKenna is 1st choice and you're an idiot.

Having Tierney and Robertson both on the left side of defence sounds sexy but it would unbalance the side. 
For the first time in years, the last 2 games had the defence playing as a cohesive unit. Yeap, we rode our luck but McTominay, Gallagher and Considine all looked very comfortable with each other and with the formation. 
I don't think Clarke will jeopardise that, because defensive stability is going to be crucial. It would be crazy for him to bring Cooper or McKenna or even Tierney in and split up a back 3 that played so well. 

Sorry but there is no room for sentiment. Considine is not as good as cooper or tiernay so no way he should play against serbia unless due to injuries

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Marshall

O'Donnell -- Gallagher -- Cooper -- Tierney -- Robertson

Gilmour -- McTominay

McGinn

Dykes -- Fraser

I know Gilmour won't be there, but that line up tickles my gooch. 

I think the good thing about this back three is it's letting players have their weaknesses masked and each of the three positions within it is quite bespoke, hence Considine coming in to play left side of it rather than Porteous going in to that position. I think Gallagher fits well in the middle of it but would be far more exposed on the right. 

Edited by Marshmallo

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I think the good thing about this back three is it's letting players have their weaknesses masked and each of the three positions within it is quite bespoke, hence Considine coming in to play left side of it rather than Porteous going in to that position. I think Gallagher fits well in the middle of it but would be far more exposed on the right. 

That's a fair point and I'm happy for the back 3 to be configured in whatever way suits.