Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

As much as I love him, I don't like McGinn in the number 10 role that much, and think he is better suited to playing a bit deeper where it is easier for him to win the ball back and he has more space to progress the ball by running at the opposition. Feel like Armstrong or Christie would provide a bit more finesse and creativity in that position than McGinn.

These are my thoughts too. McGinn is good at winning back possession and I feel that’s really useful a bit further back in the midfield. He’s looked good when he’s played there before for us. I feel like Christie needs to start for Scotland right now, and I’d have him behind the strikers in this formation, which is harsh on Armstrong but I feel Christie has that extra bit of creativity and ability to create something out of nowhere.

Serbia just lost 1-0 at home to Hungary, the underdog mentality might work in our favour but I don't think we should be fearing them too much. 
Assuming Clarke stays with the same system then fitness depending this is the team I'd like to see:
Marshall
McTominay-Cooper-Tierney
Forrest-McGregor-McGinn-Robertson
Armstrong
Dykes-Griffiths. 

As much as I love him, I don't like McGinn in the number 10 role that much, and think he is better suited to playing a bit deeper where it is easier for him to win the ball back and he has more space to progress the ball by running at the opposition. Feel like Armstrong or Christie would provide a bit more finesse and creativity in that position than McGinn. 
Forrest at RWB is maybe a bit too attacking for such an important fixture against a decent side away from home, but he's played the role well in Europe for Celtic and would be infinitely better going forward the O'Donnel. 

Clarke is getting results by making us hard to beat. Why the f**k would he put forrest in at right wing back? Has he played it for celtic in europe? He is not particularly defensive. It will be palmer or o’donnell in there.

As mentioned previously, declan gallagher may have played himself into a starting position. This may not be a bad thing as then mctominay could push into midfield.

Also ryan fraser played very well last night but you have dropped him for griffiths who is only just back. His pace is vital

The team may look like this

Marshall

Gallagher cooper tiernay

Palmer mctominay mcgregor robertson

Mcginn fraser

Dykes

8 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Clarke is getting results by making us hard to beat. Why the f**k would he put forrest in at right wing back? Has he played it for celtic in europe? He is not particularly defensive. It will be palmer or o’donnell in there.

As mentioned previously, declan gallagher may have played himself into a starting position. This may not be a bad thing as then mctominay could push into midfield.

Also ryan fraser played very well last night but you have dropped him for griffiths who is only just back. His pace is vital

Marshall

Gallagher cooper tiernay

Mcginn fraser

Dykes

I think he'll keep McTominay in the back 3, he's looked good there the last two games, is much more comfortable with the ball at his feet than any of our centre-backs and we have a bunch of good central midfielders already anyway. I get the logic of moving him into midfield and wouldn't be opposed to it but I can't see Clarke changing that now. 

I like Ryan Fraser but he's not really a striker and Griffiths is much more likely to get us a goal out of nothing. I did say "fitness dependent" in my original post so if he keeps on not getting game time for Celtic and isn't 100% match fit then I'd obviously still have Fraser in. 

Forrest has played right wing back several times for Celtic and done well there. He played there in a few qualifying games this season and has also done it effectively against stronger teams with Celtic as the underdog, playing excellently there when they won away to Lazio. If he can do it there then he can do it for Scotland, I really don't rate Palmer. 

I think he'll keep McTominay in the back 3, he's looked good there the last two games, is much more comfortable with the ball at his feet than any of our centre-backs and we have a bunch of good central midfielders already anyway. I get the logic of moving him into midfield and wouldn't be opposed to it but I can't see Clarke changing that now. 
I like Ryan Fraser but he's not really a striker and Griffiths is much more likely to get us a goal out of nothing. I did say "fitness dependent" in my original post so if he keeps on not getting game time for Celtic and isn't 100% match fit then I'd obviously still have Fraser in. 
Forrest has played right wing back several times for Celtic and done well there. He played there in a few qualifying games this season and has also done it effectively against stronger teams with Celtic as the underdog, playing excellently there when they won away to Lazio. If he can do it there then he can do it for Scotland, I really don't rate Palmer. 

I feel the israel game showed that playing with two actual strikers doesnt work. Having someone like fraser who has a bit of pace up beside dykes seemed to work a lot better.

On 12/10/2020 at 12:17, Aufc said:

Marshall

Gallagher cooper tiernay

Mcginn fraser

Dykes

If there's no place for Considine in the back 3 then I suspect he'll fill in at LWB.

Undroppable IMO.

On 13/10/2020 at 12:03, Stellaboz said:

Is there any chance this game will have fans, specifically away fans? I found a great flight deal return for Belgrade. 

I think UEFA have said for Champions and Europa league where an individual country allows it then there may be home fans but no away fans at all at this time. I would imagine the same would apply for UEFA international games as there were some fans at some games this week.

I think there is 7 nailed on starters for Serbia if all fit and available 

Marshall, McTominay, Gallagher,  Robertson, McGinn,  Fraser and Dykes 

I expect O'Donnell will probably make way for either Palmer/Tierney.

Considine may also come out for McKenna/Cooper or Tierney 

Then the two central midfield roles are likely to be Jack and McGregor but could see Christie or Armstrong coming in for one of them.

I think Clarke will go for:

Marshall, Palmer, McTominay, Gallagher,  Tierney, Robertson, Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Fraser, Dykes

Edited by DavidMcG

10 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

I think there is 7 nailed on starters for Serbia if all fit and available 

Marshall, McTominay, Gallagher,  Robertson, McGinn,  Fraser and Dykes 

I expect O'Donnell will probably make way for either Palmer/Tierney.

Considine may also come out for McKenna/Cooper or Tierney 

Then the two central midfield roles are likely to be Jack and McGregor but could see Christie or Armstrong coming in for one of them.

I think Clarke will go for:

Marshall, Palmer, McTominay, Gallagher,  Tierney, Robertson, Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Fraser, Dykes

Christie for McGregor and that’s my team

On 12/10/2020 at 12:17, Aufc said:

Marshall

Gallagher cooper tiernay

Mcginn fraser

Dykes

Why the f**k would he put forrest in

You could have stopped at that point.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Marshall

Tierney, McTominay, Gallagher, Considine, Robertson

Jack, Christie, McGinn, Fraser

Dykes

I would be surprised if it was anything other that (given all players available).

Marshall
Tierney, McTominay, Gallagher, Considine, Robertson
Jack, Christie, McGinn, Fraser
Dykes

I would be surprised if it was anything other that (given all players available).

Genuinely cant see him putting tiernay at right back. If tiernay was starting then he will start in considines position. Palmer or o’donnell will be right back. I would think mcgregor will start

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Aufc said:

Genuinely cant see him putting tiernay at right back. If tiernay was starting then he will start in considines position. Palmer or o’donnell will be right back. I would think mcgregor will start

Having Tierney and Robertson both on the left side of defence sounds sexy but it would unbalance the side. 

For the first time in years, the last 2 games had the defence playing as a cohesive unit. Yeap, we rode our luck but McTominay, Gallagher and Considine all looked very comfortable with each other and with the formation. 

I don't think Clarke will jeopardise that, because defensive stability is going to be crucial. It would be crazy for him to bring Cooper or McKenna or even Tierney in and split up a back 3 that played so well. 

Realistically if fit it will be McTominay McKenna Tierney/Cooper and so it should be.

Considine etc were brought in to do a job, they did it great, but if they're available you obviously pick your best players for your biggest game in nearly twenty years. Its a complete no-brainer. 

Considine etc have established themselves as good options should we need them again and will probably feature in squads a bit now, but that's it.

And btw they didn't do that well against the Czechs they created about forty good chances and could easily have scored a few goals.

Realistically if fit it will be McTominay McKenna Tierney/Cooper and so it should be.
Considine etc were brought in to do a job, they did it great, but if they're available you obviously pick your best players for your biggest game in nearly twenty years. Its a complete no-brainer. 
Considine etc have established themselves as good options should we need them again and will probably feature in squads a bit now, but that's it.
And btw they didn't do that well against the Czechs they created about forty good chances and could easily have scored a few goals.
I agree with most of that.
I think McKenna has started every game when available under Clarke. Don't see him being "dropped" now.
If he was dropped I don't think it'd be for Gallagher anyway. Cooper is the backup for both the CB & LCB positions imo.