Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

2 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

On paper there’s not much between the sides, in reality, their clearly is however having looked at some of Serbia’s results they really haven’t won many games against any decent teams recently (other than last night).

A shitfest and win like last night would do and is probably our best hope.

WE HAVE A DREAM

You just made me look and I was surprised to see that before last night the only teams they've beaten in competitive matches in 3 years , stretching over 19 matches, are Costa Rica, Lithuania, Luxembourg and Montenegro.

I absolutely refuse to generate any hope for this one, though. I'm telling myself to look forward to watching Serbia play Croatia at Hampden next summer.

15 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Big teams like Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool. 3 clubs 3 of our likely back 5 are playing for...

I’ve already got my tickets for the Euros in anticipation!

Aye, big clubs like Man Utd and Real Madrid.

9 minutes ago, ropy said:

Because it is new, the League of Nations has seemed complex and difficult for people to understand, however the thing I am sure about is that we play Israel in every round, so where is this chat about Serbia coming from?

Do we not have, like, a mandate over Israel because of the League of Nations? 

14 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

TV??????

What's the deal? Is it a free-for-all for bids, or is there a contract out there (seeing as how this is an unusual fixture, timing-wise if nothing else)?

It'll be on Sky. 100%.  It's the same tournament, doesn't matter when it's played.  The only reason the Nations League itself is still running is because of the TV contracts.

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

My least favourite part of Scotland playing any team with players based outside of the UK is the folk who come steaming into the threads going "actually [European no-marks] are no mugs; this guy is very good and got 5 goals for Ingolstadt last season" after having a quick look at the squad's Wikipedia page.

I think we should be keeping an eye on Aleksandar Mitrović (Serbian Cyrillic: Александар Митровић, pronounced [aleksǎːndar mǐtroʋitɕ] (listen); born 16 September 1994) is a Serbian professional footballer who plays as a striker for Premier League club Fulham and the Serbia national team.  He has lots of experience as he helped Serbia win the 2013 European Under-19 Championship, being voted the best player of the tournament. Since that year, he has also been a senior international player, earning over 50 caps and representing the nation at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Serbia (Serbian: Србија, romanized: Srbija, pronounced [sř̩bija]),[note 1] officially the Republic of Serbia (Serbian: Република Србија, romanized: Republika Srbija, pronounced [repǔblika sř̩bija]), is a landlocked country situated at the crossroads of Central[6] and Southeast Europe in the southern Pannonian Plain and the central Balkans.[7] It borders Hungary to the north, Romania to the northeast, Bulgaria to the southeast, North Macedonia to the south, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina to the west, and Montenegro to the southwest. The country claims a border with Albania through the disputed territory of Kosovo.[a] Serbia's population numbers approximately seven million.[8] Its capital, Belgrade, ranks among the largest and oldest citiеs in southeastern Europe.[9]

As shit as it's been to watch, I think I'm starting to see SC's thinking. While 4231 certainly looks easier on the eye, and always seems to promise that we're on the cusp of good things, we've been trying and coming up short with it for what, 6 or more years now?

I think the Russia and Belgium games showed SC just how vulnerable we are with that system against strong opposition. Thus, he's focussing purely and single-mindedly on finding the right 'hard to beat' system and 352 appears to be his choice for that. And hopefully he plans to expand on that if/when he cracks it. It's what you want from a manager really, someone who's calm enough to abandon the sexy en vogue formation and stick to his principles.

Either that or he's steaming.

Because it is new, the League of Nations has seemed complex and difficult for people to understand, however the thing I am sure about is that we play Israel in every round, so where is this chat about Serbia coming from?

From my understanding of the original LoN, if a result doesn’t go our way we can just take our ball and go home with it*

* and invade Abyssinia

I see the U21s beat the Czech Republic tonight with McRorie and Hornby scoring.
Could Hornby get a call up to the full squad?
He looked very impressive tonight. Great finish and a real piece of skill for the assist for the second.

Shame he hasn't had enough time to break into the Reims starting lineup yet or you'd think that would make him more of an obvious pick for the full national squad.

20 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Gallagher Cooper Tierney 

Palmer                        Robertson 

Armstrong McTominay Christie 

Shanks.          Dykes. 

All out and get some creativity up there. Shanks can drop back a bit to help with linking up with play. Replace Palmer with Fraser when the Serbs tire out and McGinn for Armstrong or Christie in the second half. 

Not bad , but you still have the Robertson / Tierney " problem "

( John McGinn for Shankland )

Edited by ewan14

47 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

He looked very impressive tonight. Great finish and a real piece of skill for the assist for the second.

Shame he hasn't had enough time to break into the Reims starting lineup yet or you'd think that would make him more of an obvious pick for the full national squad.

Not necessarily !

21 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He has scored 35 goals in 58 games for Serbia. We'd kill for a Scot to have they sort of goalscoring stats.

We will definitely need to raise our game, Serbia away is a step up from Israel.

We looked a bit more solid defensively, not sold on some of our defensive options but we'll need to see who is available by the time this game comes around.

Certainly I agree with everything you say here BUT -

we’ve had a lot of home games recently, and played a lot of minor nations, so there’s been a bit of a necessity for us to take the initiative in games.

Clearly we’ve been woeful at that, but the Final hopefully sets up for us take a counter attacking approach instead which I feel, with a healthy Forrest, Griffiths and Fraser could see us much more of a threat.

I could be clutching at straws here but why not.