Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

6 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Lol.....remember watching it wi ma da as a kid. Big Narey's "toe poke"

we think it  madness that Scotland could take the lead against Brazil in the world cup these days.

Back then though it was expected.......and if we lost we were genuinely disappointed.

We had some cracking teams in the 60's 70's 80's and even into the 90's. 

Genuinely world class.

1982 World Cup was the first tournament I remember.

Remember raging that we got put out despite not losing against USSR in the final game.  Couldn't get my wee 6 year old head round it! 

That was as complete  an away performance as I have seen from Scotland in my 30 years watching us.

Shape was fantastic throughout. The confidence not to sit back but press high and win possession in their half. Serbia aren't a top level team but we made them look complete shite.

Every position on the park is a guy who gives you confidence.

Marshall has never put a foot wrong in a Scotland Jersey and the ball was like a magnet to Dykes.  McGinn, Christie and McGregor just seem full of confidence. Gallagher was a hero.

Edited by invergowrie arab

You could put Serbia's goal down to a blip as Scotland were excellent for the rest of the game. We've been very good at nitpicking little things that stop us from qualifying before.

The change in mentality in this team should not be underestimated and it was on display from there onwards. They were expected to crumble and didn't. They held out against the odds in extra time, put away ALL five penalties against a keeper who according to Crocker before it was 5 for 7 in saves. 

I almost don't blame Marshall for waiting for the ref to okay his save at the end, it seemed too good to be true.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

3 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

You could put Serbia's goal down to a blip as Scotland were excellent for the rest of the game. 

The change in mentality in this team should not be underestimated and it was on display from there onwards. They were expected to crumble and didn't. They held out against the odds in extra time, put away ALL five penalties against a keeper who according to Crocker before it was 5 for 7 in saves. 

I almost don't blame Marshall for waiting for the ref to okay his save at the end, it seemed to good to be true.

I think it's down to the personnel too, not just the management.  There doesn't seem to be any shitebags in the squad these days.  Boys that'll hide in games. You couldn't say that 10 years or so ago.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Willie adie said:
Marshall however old he is or what form he is in should get an honorary place in the finals squad, 
Even if he is no longer playing he can be 3rd keeper

The finals is only a few months away. Hes going as number 1.

Deservedly so

I think it's down to the personnel too, not just the management.  There doesn't seem to be any shitebags in the squad these days.  Boys that'll hide in games. You couldn't say that 10 years or so ago.
Fair fucks to McBurnie too by the way. Imagine if he missed that penalty.

Still amazed how he was managing to blow out his arse after being on the pitch for 10 minutes.

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Fair fucks to McBurnie too by the way. Imagine if he missed that penalty.

Still amazed how he was managing to blow out his arse after being on the pitch for 10 minutes.

Loved how scruffy and knackered he looked stepping up to take that. Did he even have shin pads on? 

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I wouldn't disagree! Plenty of grit about this side seems to have slowly but surely emerged within the side over the last year. Certainly seems like any bad eggs have been weeded out also.

Every time Dykes is subbed off you appreciate how good he is at what he does. Paterson barely had a touch and McBurnie can't seem to get his body in the way the same way big Lyndon does. But honestly, before their goal, I thought that was an excellent performance. Gallagher was excellent. McSauce, marking at the goal aside, was good. Tierney looked dangerous from centre half. McGregor was good for the first time in a while. McGinn's arse is like an extra player. Christie had a tough first half but was brilliant second half. Very proud this morning. Chuffed tae bits. 

Had the absolute pleasure of waking the wee boy up this morning, showing him the penalties, showing him the celebrations, showing him the SFA video of the Hampden lights flashing, and sending him off to school with a massive smile on his face.

Can't wait for this summer to come around.

And I have a strange feeling we'll qualify out of that group too.