Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

We look quite light in centre midfield. Just trying to pick a team and we only have 4 - Jack, McLean, McGregor and McGinn - for the 3 positions, assuming McTominay plays in defence and Armstrong is deployed further forward.

Makes me think there’s a chance McTominay will be back in midfield as we’ve hunners or centre halves in the squad.

Cooper struggled badly when playing against Mitrovic for his club, and one goal in particular came from him being easily beaten in the air. He has been speaking recently in the press about how hard Mitrovic is to play against and how he is 'sick of the sight of him'. No really the attitude you want to hear from him and I know you can't really take too much from that, be fucked if I really know his attitude or mindset, but more importantly, as previously mentioned, you need a centre half that will compete gamely for everything in the air, that has a physical, nasty side to their game, that will stick their head in front of anything. That was crucial in the last 3 games and that is what Gallagher seems to have. 

Like all of the CBs in the squad, he has a mistake or two in him, no doubt. Whilst Tierney in for Considine makes sense, and Palmer for O'Donnell might be a shout. But McTominay and Gallagher are for me more than worthy of retaining their place. 

5 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It would be an unfamiliar position for him for sure. But he'd perform it way better than O'Donnell or palmer ever could, even on their best day.

I'd play him there to give us a solution to our weakest area.

Which parts of Tierney's skillset make you think he could play as a right wing-back in that system? The things he is particularly good at are being a strong one-on-one defender, an excellent left-footed crosser and overlapping (or underlapping) on the left wing to get into attacking positions. Which of those could he realistically do when he spends most of the game stationed on the right wing in our 3-5-2/3-4-3 type system?

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Game v Everton he did well 

Presume Turkish game you didn't think of but we don't need to count that game.

Game v Arsenal he was awful .

None of these however were in defence...

Centre half for Scotland he is awful 

I was talking about the last three Scotland games where we didn’t concede a goal, and he played fairly well. Simmer down.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Which parts of Tierney's skillset make you think he could play as a right wing-back in that system? The things he is particularly good at are being a strong one-on-one defender, an excellent left-footed crosser and overlapping (or underlapping) on the left wing to get into attacking positions. Which of those could he realistically do when he spends most of the game stationed on the right wing in our 3-5-2/3-4-3 type system?

Hes fast, has excellent stamina. Great tactically as well. 

Technically he's far superior to either palmer or O'Donnell.

He may cut inside more often than he would on the left, rather than go down the line. But thats fine. He's a clever enough and experienced enough player to make those decisions.

It sounds like your saying you think he's completely one footed? Is that what your saying. He's incapable, or really bad at kicking a ball with his right foot?

54 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I saw him using both of his feet at the same time at the weekend.

5 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

I'm a stat guy. So in theory Considine should carry on... why change a stronger looking defence... why change something that isn't broken?

Because there’s a better option than Considine in defence now. The 3-5-2 should and will remain, but Considine will drop out for either Tierney or Cooper (McTominay and Gallagher are the only 2 I’m certain will start in the back 3).

5 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Makes me think there’s a chance McTominay will be back in midfield as we’ve hunners or centre halves in the squad.

Clarke favours a midfield of McGregor, McGinn and Jack, that’s why he moved McTominay to the back 3, if he was a big fan of him in the middle of the park he’d never have done it. Therefore it’s almost certain that the midfield picks itself (Clarke admitted when he announced his squad that he already had his team picked) McLean, will no doubt start one of the Nations League games. Either Armstrong or Christie will likely slot in a No.10 role off Dykes. 

Edited by JagsCG

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Clarke favours a midfield of McGregor, McGinn and Jack, that’s why he moved McTominay to the back 3, if he was a big fan of him in the middle of the park he’d never have done it. Therefore it’s almost certain that the midfield picks itself (Clarke admitted when he announced his squad that he already had his team picked) McLean, will no doubt start one of the Nations League games. Either Armstrong or Christie will likely slot in a No.10 role off Dykes. 

I think its alot more likely mctominay was thought of as the guy who could move into centre back. And improve things, most specifically our distribution.

Rather than being not up to standard to play midfield for us. Thats absurd.

The defence has been one of the major plusses from the last few games. Mctominay has been a big part of that. He is pretty physical but also good on the ball. Not sure why anyone can complain about the defence.

The calls for considine are probably the most ridiculous shout ever. Fair play to the guy. He did very well in the last games and has shown himself as a good back up and it is clear it means a lot to him. However, there are better options and this will see him drop out.

People wanting mctominay dropped because he was shite against arsenal. The whole man utd team was pish that game.

The reality is he is one of our better players and should be starting. Whilst i probably prefer him in midfield, he brings a calming influence to the defence and can get the ball down and look for a pass

A large part of me thinks we'll be routinely beaten 2/3-0.  

But there's talismanic players in the squad.    Griffiths coming on to curl in another free kick or Christie/ McGinn scoring a screamer.    

I dare to dream.   
Don't do this to yourself

4 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Because there’s a better option than Considine in defence now. The 3-5-2 should and will remain, but Considine will drop out for either Tierney or Cooper (McTominay and Gallagher are the only 2 I’m certain will start in the back 3).

I’m aware of what the favoured midfield 3 is likely to be. My point is that if we’re very light in that midfield as we only have 4 players for 3 positions, unless you start dropping Armstrong back or moving McTominay forward, so I don’t think it’s outwith the realism of possibility that it happens at some point over the 3 games.

13 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’m aware of what the favoured midfield 3 is likely to be. My point is that if we’re very light in that midfield as we only have 4 players for 3 positions, unless you start dropping Armstrong back or moving McTominay forward, so I don’t think it’s outwith the realism of possibility that it happens at some point over the 3 games.

There are two different roles in that midfield. Jack, McGregor and McLean sit further back, Armstrong and McGinn will compete for the role that gets closer to the strikers. If need be, McGinn can drop back, but hopefully he doesn’t need to.

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Shame we don't have a 6 foot 8 CB who would pick Mitrovic up and put him in his hip pocket.  Is class on the ball too, and would allow McSauce to play midfield.

Harry Souttar would fit the bill if the big dick didn’t choose to play for Australia. Playing well for Stoke.