Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

I was too busy watching the game through my fingers to keep up to date with this thread but I just want to say fucking yasss.

I’d given up after the equaliser and was in full on “its shite being Scottish” mode but shows you what f**k I know. I thought our subs near the end of the 90 fucked us over but who gives a f**k now. I was alive but too young to remember 96 and 98 so can’t fucking wait to actually seeing us playing game at a tournament.

Onwards and upwards x

54 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Showing my age but tonight reminds me of sitting glued to the radio listening to Joe Jordan bulleting in a header v Czechoslovakia in 1973 to send us to the world Cup in 1974, what a feeling. Hampden was jam packed that night and the Czech manager said it was impossible trying to play through such a wall of noise. Great days here again? Great passion from the team tonight. 

One of my first Scotland games as an 8yr old.  Cannot believe it when I think back.  How did my old man get me in and out alive???

My mum passed away in 98 but had saved up money to make sure he went to France.  Looked out the yellow Scotland shirt he wore when we were at the Norway game, got all sentimental and thought "ACH I will stick it on in his memory, might bring us luck"...the fucking thing wouldnae even go over ma heid 😂😂

Edited by Sugar_Army

So happy for you young guys that we have got to a tourney........enjoy it cos we will probably miss out on goal difference lol as per usual.

Last time we qualified I was a bairn. When we won tonight my old man messaged saying if you get the chance to go to the finals then go on the back that I booked my flight to London for our game at Wembley. Covid might f**k it but worth the risk.

I got a hard time on here (most unreasonably IMO 😉) a few weeks back for suggesting that Clarke had enjoyed some very large slices of good fortune - if fortune comes in slices - but that from that momentum and confidence was coming into the group. I stand by that. Tonight was another huge step, we played some great stuff and should have been home and dry before the 90 was up. Bit like when we ground out a few results under Smith then as it went on we began to play some really good football. 

Shite shite goal to concede and we were weakened by then too - his subs were his one mistake there - but great spirit then to get to the pens. 

Absolutely fucking magic. Well done Steve Clarke and everyone else involved. 

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

Last time we qualified I was a bairn. When we won tonight my old man messaged saying if you get the chance to go to the finals then go on the back that I booked my flight to London for our game at Wembley. Covid might f**k it but worth the risk.

Go for it mate, your dad is right...maybe this squad can prove me wrong...I hope so.

10 minutes ago, UAE1929 said:

I think you've nailed it. If we'd won in the 90, I'd still be going daft now. That equaliser fucking killed me, spent the whole of ET in silence, awaiting the inevitable, and it never came. Then to win the shootout, just too much to comprehend. 

we went full scotland except we finished it off,eventually.

we dem boys who give you a multiple bxstard heart attack for 120 mins then get the champagne out now.

crazy scots,recognize.

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Indeed, current champions Portugal didn't win any of their group games.

ETA, just checked, they also drew their QF with Poland, only going through on penalties.

They drew 4 of their 7 games.

Italy won a world Cup on the back of 3 draws in their group. 

10 minutes ago, UAE1929 said:

I think you've nailed it. If we'd won in the 90, I'd still be going daft now. That equaliser fucking killed me, spent the whole of ET in silence, awaiting the inevitable, and it never came. Then to win the shootout, just too much to comprehend. 

Spot on. I didn’t get carried away until about 2 mins from the end of normal time. As soon as I let my guard down. Boom! An equaliser. I genuinely thought we had blown it again.

Extra time was miserable.  The penalties were something else. It will sink in tomorrow though.

Tomorrow night I am having a party! *(*Adhering to tier 3 restrictions)