Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

53 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Where the f**k has Dykes been hiding for so long, he literally didn’t lose a header all night and his hold up play is genuinely world class. Would love to know what the Serbian centre halves had to say about him after the game because he absolutely ragdolled them, I doubt they’ve been bullied by a forward like that ever before.  :lol:

Hi. 😉

Largely at Palmerston Park, waiting for a call up from Australia. Their loss.

3 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Up again at this time refusing to call the next beer the last. Largely thanks to everyone on here. Who knows when the novelty/excitement/joy will start wearing off but so far it seems a million miles away.

You’ve got until June next year before it will wear off I would imagine. Was sitting with a few workmates earlier, every one of them absolutely buzzing, and we were laughing at how odd it feels to be speaking about Scotland going to a major finals. There is a full generation who have never experienced it. 

Im loving watching these wee videos of the team after the game, singing and jumping about daft. It’s the exact reaction any one of us would have if we were in their position, and it’s good to see just how much it means to them. 

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Hi. 😉

Largely at Palmerston Park, waiting for a call up from Australia. Their loss.

I did know he was at Queens and then Livingston, I’ve been at plenty of St Mirren games where’s he been in the opposition. He was always a handful for the defenders but never struck me as someone who would go on to lead the line for Scotland, or any national team for that matter. 

He was absolutely immense last night, and I must have said it 100 times since the game but he’s about 10 times the player McBurnie will ever be. He’s near enough unbeatable in the air, rarely gives away fouls when jumping for the ball and is more than competent with the ball at his feet. Scotland’s first choice striker for years to come. 

17 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

You’ve got until June next year before it will wear off I would imagine. Was sitting with a few workmates earlier, every one of them absolutely buzzing, and we were laughing at how odd it feels to be speaking about Scotland going to a major finals. There is a full generation who have never experienced it. 

Im loving watching these wee videos of the team after the game, singing and jumping about daft. It’s the exact reaction any one of us would have if we were in their position, and it’s good to see just how much it means to them. 

It reminds me of watching teams like Iceland qualifying, doing well at tournaments etc. Not exactly the best team on the planet, but it shows that if you stick with a system and have belief in your system (I’m looking at Clarke picking Gallagher for example over McKenna and Palmer) and knowing they will give you everything, it can happen. Serbia were utter shite thankfully but even if they played well, we were always going to be in there.

I didn’t realise Superscoreboard did a 6 hour special last night and I listened to it tonight. Absolutely fantastic. 88 minutes in for Marshall’s save.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2mLjmj1qOmkn4qx79Wcka9?si=GXbwzmV1Tbaywy0ZGAh5AQ

I’m only 27 and this is the first time I’ll see our country play at a major tournament. Absolutely fucking brilliant.

On 13/11/2020 at 01:16, ancientnoise said:

You could add in Fletch and Faddy, who also did a grand job in tonight's proceedings. Top boys.

I was in p7 when we nearly qualified for Euro 2008 and picked Fletcher as my hero in a class project, largely as he was Scottish, played for a big club, from the same town as my dad and a midfielder like me. As I grew older he really earned that reputation as he became (in my opinion) one of the best in the world in his position then battled back from horrendous illness to play many times for his country. He is always one of the more interesting pundits to listen to I think and I hope he becomes heavily involved in Scottish football.

McFadden for anyone who's grown up this century was the most enjoyable player to watch by a mile. I'd only just started watching football when he had that red streak through his hair at Motherwell and wanted the same for myself. Everyone will always remember the goal in France but I recently watched the Ukraine game back and as well as his goal he generally held the ball up brilliantly, bringing others into play and winning free kicks with his skill and nous.

The players who qualified us are legends but those two analysing the game was fitting for me. They both deserved to play at a tournament themselves but were just so elated at the current group succeeding.

I might just get that red streak now.

4 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

It reminds me of watching teams like Iceland qualifying, doing well at tournaments etc. Not exactly the best team on the planet, but it shows that if you stick with a system and have belief in your system (I’m looking at Clarke picking Gallagher for example over McKenna and Palmer) and knowing they will give you everything, it can happen. Serbia were utter shite thankfully but even if they played well, we were always going to be in there.

I didn’t realise Superscoreboard did a 6 hour special last night and I listened to it tonight. Absolutely fantastic. 88 minutes in for Marshall’s save.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2mLjmj1qOmkn4qx79Wcka9?si=GXbwzmV1Tbaywy0ZGAh5AQ

I’m only 27 and this is the first time I’ll see our country play at a major tournament. Absolutely fucking brilliant.

Well I was 8 years old at France 98, and I remember running home from school to get home in time for the Brazil Scotland game. I’ve still got the France 98 sticker book somewhere, but I didn’t appreciate the magnitude of Scotland at a World Cup, and at that age I naively assumed it would be a regular occurrence. 

Agree with what your saying about the team, it feels like we are always talking about teams like Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Wales etc., teams who play above the sum of their parts because they are well managed, and asking why Scotland can’t do the same. It was only about 4 games ago that Clarke was getting absolutely hounded for playing McTominay in a back 3, I remember posts on this forum after he stuck with McTominay for the Czech game I think it was, and people were claiming he didn’t have a clue what he was doing. 

The formation, the tactics and the intensity of the pressing last night was all spot on, Kilmarnock fans told us that this was how it was going to go, Clarke is a clever guy. 

I’ve not spoken that highly of McGregor in a Scotland shirt recently but I thought he was MoM last night, didn’t stop running for a second during the 120 minutes. Him along with Christie, McGinn, O Donnell, Jack, Gallagher and Dykes had the performance of their lives. Would be unfair to even pick out a player for having a bad game but I thought Robertson was one that didn’t play to his ability. He’s undoubtedly a world class player but for whatever reason he just doesn’t do it for Scotland, wether that’s down to how he’s instructed to play or the formation etc. I’m unsure. He puts in 10-15 crosses per game for Liverpool, accurate crosses that result in goals for them. But I can hardly remember him putting one ball in the box last night and it’s been a similar story in the last few games too. I also don’t think having Tierney at LCB and Robertson at LWB works that well, but they are 2 of our best players.  Possibly being harsh on him and holding him to a higher standard because of how good he can be, still love him though.  

I was too young to go to france 98 but my old man and my uncle went. They took a tent with the them to camp but got pished in the airport and left it so had no where to sleep. There were also no mobile phones then so they didnt phone home for a week so i remember my maw thinking he was dead until they eventually phoned.

Good memories

After 2 hours of cheering and tears on Thursday night watching every highlight reel I could I snuck onto my work laptop and logged holidays coinciding with every game. Working from home has an extra benefit for me.

The next morning my pal phoned me, his companies holiday booking system crashed due to the large number of people logging on at once trying to book the games off next June. His boss has had to suspend holiday requests for the time being.

What a feeling, what a rush. We’ll be fucking coming and I dare anyone on the continent to try and ruin this for us.

I’ve woke up this morning incredibly hungover and read through this whole thread from around page 26 over the past few hours in between watching clips and ordering a dominos and I can honestly say, what a read this is.

I can’t say much about the game cause I really don’t remember much of it through a mixture of adrenaline and being pished but in what’s been a fucking horrible year on so many levels we’ve actually done it.

I just rewatched the video Clyde SSB put up a few days ago and proper burst into full on tears (link for anyone that’s not seen it https://www.facebook.com/227407058938/posts/10159239220008939/?vh=e&d=n)

I honestly haven’t woke up feeling like this in years, Scotland will be in the Euro 2020 Xbox game, we’ll have in the panini sticker book, bairns everywhere will be swapping Stephen O’Donnell stickers, we’ll have our first Euros song since 1998, Irn Bru will make an inspiring advert, it’s surreal.

This year has been a Black Mirror episode but this is the part where there’s an unexpected happy ending, the last time we qualified I was 1 and a half, it just means so much.

FFS - thought I was getting better but gone again after watching that.