Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:
Only a p***k would have asked such a hypothetical question in the first place.

Bit harsh. The question is standard sports pundit fare.

Not in any way intended against you Gordopolis, but accepting that as standard sports pundit fare explains why we have the standard of sport punditry we have.

It's a nonsense, meaningless question. If Currie ever asked that of Walter Smith or Craig Brown, his gonads would suffer the same fate that Chick Young's did years ago.

16 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I just looked on there and from what I can make out the last time we went 10 games unbeaten was between 1924 and 1927.

Yup. And the last time we did 11 was in a run of 22 unbeaten from 1879 to 1888 which is our record. I doubt we'll get near that but I'm more than happy to be wrong on that count.

Not in any way intended against you Gordopolis, but accepting that as standard sports pundit fare explains why we have the standard of sport punditry we have.

It's a nonsense, meaningless question. If Currie ever asked that of Walter Smith or Craig Brown, his gonads would suffer the same fate that Chick Young's did years ago.

Not saying I'm accepting it, and I agree there is some right old shite we put up with in the pundit stakes[emoji6]

It is what it is though - a powder puff question and David Currie is probably the most inoffensive sports presenter out there. He wasn't trying to catch Strachan out or anything, but Strachan has to get his dick out onto the table instead of just going along with the feel-good nature of the interview.

ETA: still smiling at the memory of Chick Young getting absolutely rinsed by WS [emoji38]

2 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

One of my abiding memories of Euro 96 was the fans at half time against England.  It was 0-0, and the camera panned around the stadium, all the England fans were sitting chatting drinking their bovril or whatever, and the entire Scottish section were standing on their seats dancing to Rockin All Over The World by Status Quo.  Fuckin beautiful. 

I'm proud to say I was right in the middle of that, with my old man.  Went to all three Scotland games at that tournament.  Magical experience.  

13 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Tell us more

The games in Birmingham were probably better than Wembley.  We went to this social club close to Villa Park before both games, rammed with Scotland fans but there was quite a lot of Dutch lads there for the first match, good fun with them.  I seem to remember Jim Leishman was there doing some of his shite poetry.  The bounce in the Holte End when McCoist biffed in the winner against Switzerland was ace.   

I regret not making it to France TBH but I'm glad I made it in '96.  

58 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I just looked on there and from what I can make out the last time we went 10 games unbeaten was between 1924 and 1927.

Interesting research and it coincided with the period where Airdrieonians finished 2nd in the top division, and provided players such as Hughie Gallagher/ Bob Bennie/Willie Russel . Now we are stuck in the seaside Leagues. Ach well.

2 hours ago, The Golden God said:

I’ve watched that Milinkovic-Savic play 3 times and 3 times he’s been owned by Callum McGregor, does McGregor get to keep him now?

Will Mitrovic have nightmares about Declan Gallagher?

Will the rest of the world be super confused about why “Yes Sir, I can boogie” is a thing again?

Yes, yes and yes. Let the rest of the world be utterly confused about Baccara being a thing again - who knew that when Andy Considine had his stag do years ago that a daft video could propel an old Spanish duo's signature hit up the charts again? I sincerely hope that fans are allowed to go to games in June because the songs are going to be tremendous.

3 hours ago, resk said:

The games in Birmingham were probably better than Wembley.  We went to this social club close to Villa Park before both games, rammed with Scotland fans but there was quite a lot of Dutch lads there for the first match, good fun with them.  I seem to remember Jim Leishman was there doing some of his shite poetry.  The bounce in the Holte End when McCoist biffed in the winner against Switzerland was ace.   

I regret not making it to France TBH but I'm glad I made it in '96.  

Oh yes. I was in there. I remember everyone encouraging a fairly pissed looking Leishman up on a chair for a poem or speech of some sort. Cant remember what he actually said but he had the whole place held in his words.

Games at Birmingham were great as you say. The thing I always remember is I was at the back of the Holte End and I have NEVER experienced a solid concrete stand move the way that one did. I swear it was bouncing a couple of inches as Scotland fans pretty much as one jumped up and down. It probably was only a fraction of an inch but it felt a lot more. It was only after I repeated it I waa told by people in building that such stands are built with the intention for that to happen. I was a QoS fan, I'd never experienced anything like it! 

I was at all three games in Framce too and they were great, and a bigger adventure abroad rather than the up and down same day for games in England but we werent as massively mobbed as we were in England. Villa Park was rammed with Scots, esp for the Swiss game. And of course it was the typical Scottish glorious failure. We were going through for much of the second half till Kluivert/Seaman combined to screw us from 200 miles away. France ended in a massive let down with a joke of a performance v Morocco.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Ive read this thread from about page 50 onwards while at work tonight, what a read it’s been :lol: 

I watched the game last night with my Dad and experienced all the ups and downs that went with it, but reading everyone’s posts on here from during the game has been brilliant. Would have been a different story if we had been beat on penalties but we didn’t. Scotland deserves it, and the performance of the team last night definitely deserved it as they were absolutely immense.

Where the f**k has Dykes been hiding for so long, he literally didn’t lose a header all night and his hold up play is genuinely world class. Would love to know what the Serbian centre halves had to say about him after the game because he absolutely ragdolled them, I doubt they’ve been bullied by a forward like that ever before.