Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

One of my abiding memories of Euro 96 was the fans at half time against England.  It was 0-0, and the camera panned around the stadium, all the England fans were sitting chatting drinking their bovril or whatever, and the entire Scottish section were standing on their seats dancing to Rockin All Over The World by Status Quo.  Fuckin beautiful. 

Can't believe we made it and we have England at Wembley and two games at Hampden, literally the stuff dreams are made of, and I genuinely think we'll qualify, having taken 4 or 6 points from our first two games. No chance we're getting beat down there.

I remember Simon Mayo was the stadium announcer and him saying something very complimentary about the Scotland support and having a wee dig at the home support. Something along the lines of knowing which end he'd prefer to be in.

3 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I remember Simon Mayo was the stadium announcer and him saying something very complimentary about the Scotland support and having a wee dig at the home support. Something along the lines of knowing which end he'd prefer to be in.

image.jpeg.c622a44a017fde6f38ee93276375f1a8.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Nae Union said:

Scotland were great last night but the best thing for me was they weren't playing 'out of their skin'. That was a solid performance where everyone played to their strengths. Put that team under any significant pressure and the response would be phenomenal. 

I know that the qualifying routes have changed over the last 22 years but I can't help feeling that almost all of those campaigns, had they been successful would have seen us sneak into finals, with the accompanying feeling that it was enough just to get there. 

The consistency shown in this campaign since Steve Clarke arrived has given me real confidence. Made me feel that we are a team that can compete regardless of the opposition or the occasion. 

We might not win the Euros but it won't be because of some freak result.

This is a new type of Scotland. 

Spot on,we were comfortable for 89 minutes last night until the corner. Best performance for years.

I was against how overplayed Baccara's going to be on the radio but if we can unseat mawkish charity singles from the number one spot then I'm ploughing my Biden winnings into buying 300 copies and streaming it on my Spotify for the next 48 hours.

2 hours ago, microdave said:

And one Serbian in an otherwise empty stand with his head in his hands.

Fill yer boots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_1960–79_results#Results

I just looked on there and from what I can make out the last time we went 10 games unbeaten was between 1924 and 1927.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Strachan on sportsound earlier:

David Currie: "Watching Lyndon Dykes, did it make you wish you had him to call upon during your time in charge?"
Strachan: "No, because we had Chris Martin."

Sums him up. Can't possibly be wrong about anything, ever. (Martin was useful, but only a stubborn p***k would answer no to that question).

I didn't hear any of the interview but that sort of comment does not surprise. 

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

One of my abiding memories of Euro 96 was the fans at half time against England.  It was 0-0, and the camera panned around the stadium, all the England fans were sitting chatting drinking their bovril or whatever, and the entire Scottish section were standing on their seats dancing to Rockin All Over The World by Status Quo.  Fuckin beautiful. 

Can't believe we made it and we have England at Wembley and two games at Hampden, literally the stuff dreams are made of, and I genuinely think we'll qualify, having taken 4 or 6 points from our first two games. No chance we're getting beat down there.

Max Rushden who does the Guardian Football Weekly podcast told this exact story a while back about being at the game when he was wee as an England fan, secretly wishing he was in the Scotland end. It's often brought up in reference to how ourselves and Ireland always seem to have a bit more of a laugh, compared to the patio furniture - flinging England away support.