Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

Ah what a night. Magnificent, the boost we have needed as football supporters for so, so long. Hope everyone on here had a great night/day wherever you are in the world from New Zealand to Los Angeles. You all deserve it.

What Steve Clarke has done is nothing short of remarkable. That group now turn up, believe in themselves and think we can beat anyone. We rarely concede and we have balls of steel. A stunning turnaround from previous regimes.

I could list every player and say how magnificent they were. Special shout outs to Gallagher who dealt with Mitrovic well, Dykes and Christie again for their great work up front and David Marshall for a magnificent save in extra time followed by yet more penalty heroics.

A perfect night, proud Scotsman today.

21 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Imagine if someone said to you four years ago that Scotland would go with a back five comprising regular starters from Manchester United , Liverpool, Arsenal......oh aye, and two players from Motherwell

Indeed

It's just refreshing to see a manager choosing a system and picking players to suit and not the other way about.

I wouldn't have played Gallagher and would have chosen only one of Jack or McGregor (likely Jack as he has been playing better at the moment) but all three were amazing. Gallagher MOTM but only as Dykes couldn't move anymore by the end.

We're finally doing what Northern Ireland did and it's a joy to watch.

Have I missed something 😏

Didn’t fall asleep till way after 2, just couldn’t calm myself down!
You think you grow out of this stuff, but you don’t ... I can vaguely remember as a wee boy seeing the opening ceremony in 1974 and can remember every game of every tournament after that. I grew up complacent, we qualified for tournaments, it’s what we did ... and were gutted because we couldn’t get out of our groups! 
I felt like I was reliving that again, and that emotion that never leaves ... excitement, fear, anxiety ... and pride in the boys that represent you, what a night ... it’s fcukin brilliant being Scottish!! 

Naismith on Sportscene last night was describing Clarke's management style. It sounds like he gives the players the belief that they are in charge. Obviously he has the masterplan and is orchestrating them but will let the likes of Robertson do the motivating. Shows a real bit of humility of Clarke to keep his ego out of it and actually just manage, organise and delegate. 

And his subs - the team did drop off a bit but was there ever 5 cockier folk likely to score their penalties? Griffiths setting the tone, rather than doing what Serbia did and holding their main guy back until all the pressure was on. 

The other thing I forgot about is the long wait for the tournament to start ... it’s started for me last night, couldn’t sleep thinking about what players might step up in the next few months, thinking about how much this team will grow, worrying that something will happen to any of th3 players, will we be able to get in and see the games ... it’s going to be a rollercoaster but I forgot how amazing this feeling is!

37 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Imagine if someone said to you four years ago that Scotland would go with a back five comprising regular starters from Manchester United , Liverpool, Arsenal......oh aye, and two players from Motherwell

Scotland's defensive problems over the last decade have been solved by SSC putting in a back five made up of 2 left backs, a midfielder and 2 motherwell players. I fucking love it

10 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Naismith on Sportscene last night was describing Clarke's management style. It sounds like he gives the players the belief that they are in charge. Obviously he has the masterplan and is orchestrating them but will let the likes of Robertson do the motivating. Shows a real bit of humility of Clarke to keep his ego out of it and actually just manage, organise and delegate. 

And his subs - the team did drop off a bit but was there ever 5 cockier folk likely to score their penalties? Griffiths setting the tone, rather than doing what Serbia did and holding their main guy back until all the pressure was on. 

I concur with this.

We're all part of Clarkie's army we're going to... the UK. 

Reckon I might still be mwi

Edited by thistledo