Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

7 hours ago, davied85 said:
7 hours ago, GordonS said:
Went back to the start of this thread for the lols, and this reminded me of something. One of the highlights of the game for me was Milinkovic-Savic hoofing a wildly slashed clearance over his own box, from one side to the other, at approximately the altitude of the International Space Station.
His head was gone and it wasn't a surprise when he was hooked.

Did u get the crazy shouts of Jack should be nowhere the starting 11?

How do you mean? Were there a lot of people saying he shouldn't? He was always more likely than not to be starting.

20 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Cannot believe how well Gallagher dealt with that fat dumpling Mitrovic

Gallagher was absolutely amazing for Motherwell pretty much all last season.  A rock.  By miles our best player.  I was surprised no one came in for him.

Had a wee bit of a shakey start to this season but our overall form was poor, we've changed the formation around and he's basically been playing with a new defence.

Last night was the Gallagher we saw pretty much every week last season.  He was superb.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

Woken up with hell of a hangover, one of the only times I've been appreciative of Covid, working from home.

Last night was simply brilliant, I can fully admit to having a meltdown when Serbia equalised. As ET kicked off, I felt so deflated, just wanted to be put out my misery, but it never happened. Those penalties were a fucking hard watch, never enjoyed them, even as a neutral, but felt physically sick watching those. The save brought a mixture of relief and joy, an untouchable feeling.

Gallagher was phenomenal, I watched Mitrovic last week against West Ham. He was a nuisance throughout, and did a power of running. Gallagher was touch tight the full game, Mitrovic won't have many harder games. I think you have to give Gallagher extra credit as he got that early booking, didn't deter him at all.

Dykes was brilliant, I said it last night but I don't feel he held the ball up that much, but what he did was win numerous headers and knocked the ball on which allowed us to push up and close off space. The amount of times we nicked possession, especially in the first half was brilliant.

Every player put in hell of a shift, Marshall's save in ET won't get enough plaudits because of his penalty heroics, but it was genuinely world class. When I saw Tierney named, felt it was a case of him being shoehorned in, but he was very good, as was Robertson, and by all accounts his rallying call got the lads going for those extra 30 minutes, it could have easily gone horribly wrong.

Don't think I'll understand how they managed to mentally overcome that hurdle last night. I can fully admit when they equalised I was done. They showed a resilience that has been missing from Scotland for years. 

Today will consist of numerous little naps, and then enjoying another bottle of malt this evening, might even watch the game back.

I think we'll find if guy like Dykes, Christie and Gallagher have a sold tournament, bigger clubs will come in for them. A tournament is a fantastic shop window for players.  Look at how many players have moved to big clubs right after playing well for their country at one over the years.

Guest bernardblack
I think it's down to the personnel too, not just the management.  There doesn't seem to be any shitebags in the squad these days.  Boys that'll hide in games. You couldn't say that 10 years or so ago.

This. There’s no huge number of squad withdrawals either and they just seem to be genuinely top bois.

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Have to say, I've never been so resigned to a defeat as I was at the start of extra time there. The way we ended up not winning in 90 minutes was so demoralising, and then the 30 minutes of clinging on which followed meant that even going into the shootout I was just waiting to lose.

Get it right up me and my 20 years of well earned cynicism. David fucking Marshall.

I said at the time we were getting pumped in et. Wouldn't have been surprised at 3 or 4. Probably a better team would have taken advantage but credit to the players for standing firm

There were some unbelievable individual performances, but I said during the game that we were witnessing the difference between a shite manager and a really good manager. Aside from the subs, everything Clarke did and had planned was absolutely perfect and was the reason for us controlling the game. I have never loved a football manager as much as him.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

There were some unbelievable individual performances, but I said during the game that we were witnessing the difference between a shite manager and a really good manager. Aside from the subs, everything Clarke did and had planned was absolutely perfect and was the reason for us controlling the game. I have never loved a football manager as much as him.

He's worked under some unbelievable mangers and you can see it a mile off.  When you look at guys like Strachan, Burley and Levein, he's on a different planet.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I think we'll find if guy like Dykes, Christie and Gallagher have a sold tournament, bigger clubs will come in for them. A tournament is a fantastic shop window for players.  Look at how many players have moved to big clubs right after playing well for their country at one over the years.

Was saying this to my mates last night. There are a few players in the squad who have the potential to develop into even better players should the right clubs come in for them. My hope is that folk like Ryan Jack and Ryan Christie don't get struck down with Paul McStay Syndrome and stay in their comfort zone at a club they support beating Hamilton and Ross County eight times a season. Has happened far too many times over the years.

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Have to say, I've never been so resigned to a defeat as I was at the start of extra time there. The way we ended up not winning in 90 minutes was so demoralising, and then the 30 minutes of clinging on which followed meant that even going into the shootout I was just waiting to lose.

Get it right up me and my 20 years of well earned cynicism. David fucking Marshall.

When that goal went in I said to my mates that it would have been more palatable if we'd been 3-0 down after 20 minutes.

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Forgot about the Serbians booing us during the penalties.

Get it up the fucking wanks

I know you need the players and other staff in the stadium to try to create a semblance of atmosphere, but that seemed a bit unprofessional.