Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

My first Scotland game was as a six year old. It was Latvia at Parkhead in 1997. I loved it but didn't understand the magnitude of qualifying for a tournament.

23 years later, absolute fucking scenes.

I was at that game too, in the North Stand.

The Jock Stein Stand hadn't been built (there was temporary seating) and so, 3 seats from where I was sitting, there was a near 200 foot drop to the earth below.

20 minutes ago, HoustonRover said:

John McGinn has the best arse in world fitba - backs it in like a truck.

Declan Gallagher, beast, monster, hard as nails - he was outstanding.

Thought Tierney and Mc-T bar the goals were great.

Jack and McGregor I am a critic of but proved me and many others wrong I was crying out for Armstrong.

Christie was a wee bawbag in my mind but that interview man, shows what it means.

David Marshall - take a bow, the save in ET was outstanding and cometh the hour in the pens.

Buzzing, absolutely buzzing.

I'm also of course, buzzing. This reminded me...We'd have won in 90 minutes if Considine had been playing. No way that fucker gets a free header...

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I was at that game too, in the North Stand.

The Jock Stein Stand hadn't been built (there was temporary seating) and so, 3 seats from where I was sitting, there was a near 200 foot drop to the earth below.

I was lucky enough to be in a stand with a roof but also had the game on tape (think it was on Channel 5 and my mum set up the video player to record when we left the house the in the morning the day before the game, if we want to think about how different life is since we were last at a tournament). I watched that game again a stupid number of times and was always fascinated by what was going on with that side of the ground :lol:

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I was lucky enough to be in a stand with a roof but also had the game on tape (think it was on Channel 5 and my mum set up the video player to record when we left the house the in the morning the day before the game, if we want to think about how different life is since we were last at a tournament). I watched that game again a stupid number of times and was always fascinated by what was going on with that side of the ground :lol:

I was 7 when we drew with Germany at Hampden in 2003. I remember previous Scotland games but this is the first one that really stuck with me. I had a video recording of the Sportscene highlights and used to watch them at least once a month. Every time Miller scored with me I'd celebrate wildly. I still remember it (despite not having seen it in 15+ years). Cameron quick free kick to Miller who drilled home. Never thought then I'd be waiting until now to celebrate something meaningful.

5 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

McTominay's man IMO.

Caught atwixt and atween again.

As Willie Miller has said: "you don't just become a centre-back, it takes years to learn it"

Right you are to quote the man who was described by the greatest manager of all time as "the best penalty box defender" of his time.

I was/am seriously sceptical of McTominay playing there. I understand the idea behind it; and the idea of Tierney playing there too.

If I was to place myself inside Clarke's head, I think he's recognised Serbia are actually pretty gash, and wanted more ball-playing from the back. Against tougher teams, I think we'll see McKenna, Considine, and Cooper come in.

1 minute ago, Illgresi said:

If I was to place myself inside Clarke's head, I think he's recognised Serbia are actually pretty gash, and wanted more ball-playing from the back. Against tougher teams, I think we'll see McKenna, Considine, and Cooper come in.

Think that is the case. McTominay has a lot of confidence, happy to take the ball in tight situations and find a pass, opposed to blootering it up the park in the hope of it finding someone (not that we did that this evening). 

I can't see him coming out that role, think SC values his ball retention too highly. 

Apart from losing his man at the corner, he was solid throughout. 

It's a nice worry to have though, slowly we're finding ourselves with two or three decent players in key positions. 

Have to say, I've never been so resigned to a defeat as I was at the start of extra time there. The way we ended up not winning in 90 minutes was so demoralising, and then the 30 minutes of clinging on which followed meant that even going into the shootout I was just waiting to lose.

Get it right up me and my 20 years of well earned cynicism. David fucking Marshall.

8 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Right you are to quote the man who was described by the greatest manager of all time as "the best penalty box defender" of his time.

I was/am seriously sceptical of McTominay playing there. I understand the idea behind it; and the idea of Tierney playing there too.

It was more than just ball playing. McTominay and Tierney were told they should engage high up the park. When a Serb was getting it in the midfield they were getting swarmed and forced back.

I think if we had sat back with those 2 in a back 3 we would have been picked off. Serbia had 4 really good chances with headers, including their goal.  A few more balls into the box could have caused us more trouble but we did a great job of not even letting them get in a position to put a ball in for long spells.

11 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Have to say, I've never been so resigned to a defeat as I was at the start of extra time there. The way we ended up not winning in 90 minutes was so demoralising, and then the 30 minutes of clinging on which followed meant that even going into the shootout I was just waiting to lose.

Get it right up me and my 20 years of well earned cynicism. David fucking Marshall.

Hey, when they scored in the 90th minute we all felt that way.

Fortune favoured us  for once.

And...

David fucking Marshall.

I remember quite vividly David Marshall as a plooky 17 year old playing heroically for Celtic against Barcelona in 2004. Would have believed that night he was the man to take us to a Euros. Shame it took sixteen years though. Still over the moon.

Edited by RosspCfc

In absolute bits reading these replies! This is just another YAAAAS post but...... YAAAAS!

This Scotland team has just saved themselves so much money purely by how many free pints they will get for the rest of their lives. 

Had to hold it together on numerous occasions tonight, after the first ten minutes or so when it was confirmed Scotland had a quality chance, when Christie scored. Christie's interview absolutely killed me. superb.

So so proud to be Scottish and fancy Steve Clarke and David Marshall and every single person ever so so much

No sleep club! CMON!!!