Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

f**k sake I've gotten myself excited for this too. 

First Scotland game I ever watched on telly we pumped France 2-0 with MoJo getting both. I remember us getting knocked out by Brazil after Leighton spilled it and my dad (for whom this was the 5th WC in a row) said that was "typical Scotland". I wish that were true and that the depths of our diddiness had been plumbed by going out at the group stage.

As a previous poster has said  I reckon this has come a year too early for us. We're developing as a team and I think we can do well in qualifying for the next world cup. 

I'm still fuckin believing though and will be looking up famous (preferably non-genocidal) Serbs so I can re-create that Norwegian commentator's "you boys took a hell of a beating" proclamation afterwards.

Furloughed as f**k the noo, so have all day to do uni work and think about the game (I foresee no uni work being done).

P.S. I'm 5'5'' and won a UEFA cup winners medal while playing at CB. Stick that in your pipe Pep.

I genuinely see no reason for us to fear Serbia. Looking through their squad the only player I would say is genuinely close to being world class is Milinkovic-Savic. The rest all play at a decent level around Europe but from middle to front there's no one in there I would say is miles better than anything we have.

You can never be confident when it comes to Scotland but we're hardly facing Belgium or Spain. Adopt that tried and tested tactic of getting right in about them and the result will take care of itself (I hope).

Marshall,  Palmer, McTominay, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson, Jack, McGregor, McGinn, Armstrong, Dykes. 

convinced that’ll be the team. 

heart: 1-0 Scotland.
head: 2-0 Serbia. 
I'm certain he will play Gallagher over McKenna as he's been excellent of late for Scotland, an unexpected surprise. Also think he will play Christie over Armstrong but I'd be happy with either.

If it were me picking the team I'd have the same team with the exception of Cooper in at centre half with McTominay taking Jack's place in centre mid.

Wasn't too excited/nervous for the game the night about 15 minutes ago. I am now both. Being born in 99  I only know Scotland being shite so this would be massive for me and those aged similar.

Actually hope he sticks with Considine at the left of the three rather than brining in Tierney again, his last performances deserve it.

Like many of us I've grown up watching us consistently fail in dramatic fashion. Over the years it does condition you to expect the worst but I still hope for the best.

Serbia are a good side but they aren't France or Italy. They are beatable.

In all honesty, I'm sick and fed up of excuse making/glorious failure, we need the boys to quite simply find a way to win. The biggest thing for me is it's time for our big players to step up, go and make the difference and you become a hero.

I think this is the team Clarke will pick, the only variation on this I can see is Mckenna for Gallagher or Armstrong for Christie. I can see both arguments but I'd be really surprised at any line up outside of that. From the bench, I want to see Griffiths and Patterson involved. I think they are the ones who can make things happen if we need a goal.

Working from home means beer drinking will be starting early to calm these nerves.

image.png.8f21fc5fc16a512cb58f5593f95a3d10.png

I'm a nervous wreck already. Have spent a decent sum following the national team over the years and used to boots in the baws from both Falkirk and Scotland for most of my life so it would be good to get this boost given that and the year we've all had. 

Anticipating tears if we qualify and unmitigated fury if we chuck it in stupid fashion

Edited by Marshmallo

f*ck me! wheres this come from?!  I've been pretty non-plussed over the past few months...even at one point my brother texting me about the Israel 1-1 game afterwards and I didnt even know we were playing.  Not in "I dont care about the National team" way...more in a "hard to get excited about it" way.  I do live in England though....

Anyway, got butterflies about this now.... me and a mate were talking about World Cups and Euros....I remember vaguely Spain 82, but Mexico was first big tournament I got into.

One I keep forgetting about is Euro 92...I swore we didnt qualify but we did...I think its around when i started drinking so maybe that explains it!

Edited by fuzzydunlop
spelling

18 hours ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

That's not a bad return to be fair. I was genuinely asking - I barely watch club games in Scotland. Dykes will and SHOULD start but I reckon Griffiths is the type of player who can pull something out of nothing - even when he was a young player at Dundee (I was a season ticket holder then) he stood out like a sore thumb. Glad he is back in the fold.

Aye, but what were his performances like?

Most butterflies in the stomach since the 2016 Cup Final.

I think a lot of us give it the 'meh, don't care/international football is shite' sort of patter, but f**k me, full range of emotions here. 

One of the biggest games of my life.

I am keeping calm and trying to go down the road of if it happens it happens....wont last for long.

Serbia all told are a better side but not by a big margin.  That they are at home is an advantage but less so without the crowd. 

They have had some fairly average results over last year or so.  I guess it depends whether they are stronger or weaker as a result of the pressure. 

I just do no want glorious failure.  Would rather lose comfortably than 1-o from a dodgy penalty in 119 minutes. 

I do think it will be a long night and we will need a fair bit of luck to go our way.  But Clarke has a habit of shitfesting his way to results so more of the same would be just perfect.