Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

25 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I think the good thing about this back three is it's letting players have their weaknesses masked and each of the three positions within it is quite bespoke, hence Considine coming in to play left side of it rather than Porteous going in to that position. I think Gallagher fits well in the middle of it but would be far more exposed on the right. 

Gallagher used to play RCB at Livi, and even played RB on occasion. I reckon he'd be better there than in the centre. 

Thankfully no more Grant Hanley back there too.
It's funny because he was, according to someone on here, Clarke's first-choice CB but just never available. There are too many options (how the f**k has that happened) right now for him to squeeze in, especially considering he'd be in the middle.
Gallagher used to play RCB at Livi, and even played RB on occasion. I reckon he'd be better there than in the centre. 
He was so fun to watch on the right of a three for Livi. There was a game against us where he destroyed our left side of defence just by bombing through the gap between LCB and LWB. It's completely different for Scotland, though, as our wide CBs don't seem to overlap at all and I'm not quite sure how he'd do at playing passes into Dykes' feet like McTominay has done. Defensively, I think he's better suited to being in the middle of a three too.

My pecking order is:

RCB* - McTominay, Palmer, Porteous, Gallagher

CB - Cooper, McKenna, Gallagher, Porteous

LCB - Tierney, Cooper, Considine

Clarke's preferred three is the one that played v Israel in September.

* This could be a problem area if McTominay gets injured/suspended as I've only put Palmer there because he's done it for Wednesday and don't know if he was any good, Porteous plays in the middle of a three for Hibs (I think he'd be fine there though), and I've already spoken about Gallagher.

One thing that would concern me about both McTominay and Tierney playing in the back 3 together is that, even though they’re both #ballers, they’d both would want to step out and push forward. You do want someone in the back 3 doing that (as McTominay has) but having 2/3 doing it in a game where you’re unlikely to be playing much swashbuckling football would leave us more vulnerable.

If Clarke gets them both very well disciplined it’s less of a worry but there’ll still be that instinct in them to push forward.

One thing that would concern me about both McTominay and Tierney playing in the back 3 together is that, even though they’re both #ballers, they’d both would want to step out and push forward. You do want someone in the back 3 doing that (as McTominay has) but having 2/3 doing it in a game where you’re unlikely to be playing much swashbuckling football would leave us more vulnerable.
If Clarke gets them both very well disciplined it’s less of a worry but there’ll still be that instinct in them to push forward.

Not sure. Tierney is pretty solid defensively and he plays that position for arsenal so its not new to him. Id much rather have that than a total hammer thrower who hammers the ball forward thus losing possession

3 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

So this, I've wanted that for years.

To be honest, so have I.  I know it'll make f**k all difference at the end of the day, because the clubs hold all the power, but I'd like to see an International Manager at least attempt to wrestle back a bit of control.  If he manages to steer us to a win against Serbia, I'd imagine fans and players alike will think Clarke's a fucking god.  Use that.  Get eating away at that power the clubs want to have.

28 minutes ago, forameus said:

To be honest, so have I.  I know it'll make f**k all difference at the end of the day, because the clubs hold all the power, but I'd like to see an International Manager at least attempt to wrestle back a bit of control.  If he manages to steer us to a win against Serbia, I'd imagine fans and players alike will think Clarke's a fucking god.  Use that.  Get eating away at that power the clubs want to have.

Absolutely, at the end of the day the games Scotland play are as important to Steve Clarke as the games Liverpool play are to Jurgen Klopp. Its difficult because there is so much money these days but I'd definitely like an international manager to show he's not going to be fucked around by the big clubs and is prepared to put their nose out of joint if necessary. 

Of course its best to have a good relationship with them especially just now with Covid but if you look at a team like Scotland we are desperate to do something, its been far too long.  Even financially the game needs it, the SFA just took out a five million loan. And the fans deserve it too. We are capable of doing something, but only if the vast majority of our best players turn up the vast majority of the time.

Look at a player like Ryan Fraser, what a difference he made.  His pace, quality, intelligence, workrate just made us a much better team with much more of a threat. But he's 26, and has been playing at the top level for a long time, yet he only has about 12 caps. He should have forty by now. That's the sort of thing we need to avoid in future if we are to prosper.

If we do get through against Serbia, as you say, nobody will be calling off then, as they'll all want to play in the Euros. Then once you've done something its a lot more attractive to people like say McBurnie to keep turning up and putting a shift in, and even others like maybe Karlan Grant who could play for Scotland but as yet hasn't shown any interest. Also players who have retired a bit early like say McArthur, you'd see a bit less of that too. It would have a snowball effect.

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

😳

Its true. McKenna and Considine just spent years playing at the same club.  Was it McKenna or Considine that just got bought for six million by another club?  Which one was club captain?  Which one played every week and which one was sometimes on the bench?  And now you'd pick Considine over McKenna based on two games which McKenna wasn't even available for?  Are you on smack?

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

It's funny because he was, according to someone on here, Clarke's first-choice CB but just never available. There are too many options (how the f**k has that happened) right now for him to squeeze in, especially considering he'd be in the middle. He was so fun to watch on the right of a three for Livi. There was a game against us where he destroyed our left side of defence just by bombing through the gap between LCB and LWB. It's completely different for Scotland, though, as our wide CBs don't seem to overlap at all and I'm not quite sure how he'd do at playing passes into Dykes' feet like McTominay has done. Defensively, I think he's better suited to being in the middle of a three too.

My pecking order is:

RCB* - McTominay, Palmer, Porteous, Gallagher

CB - Cooper, McKenna, Gallagher, Porteous

LCB - Tierney, Cooper, Considine

Clarke's preferred three is the one that played v Israel in September.

* This could be a problem area if McTominay gets injured/suspended as I've only put Palmer there because he's done it for Wednesday and don't know if he was any good, Porteous plays in the middle of a three for Hibs (I think he'd be fine there though), and I've already spoken about Gallagher.

Palmer not play RCB  but Tierney play right centre back but Hanlon play LCB  and might Findlay  

4 hours ago, ropy said:

Warburton is concerned that Dykes started three games, he will be delighted that the bold Lyndon has got himself suspended for one of the next triple header 

What an absolute twat Warburton is. OK, so after years upon years of Scotland looking like absolute no hopers, we finally look like we might have a team. And Warburton thinks we should change it because one of his players came back tired? Come on  use a bit of common sense Warburton.

9 minutes ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

What an absolute twat Warburton is. OK, so after years upon years of Scotland looking like absolute no hopers, we finally look like we might have a team. And Warburton thinks we should change it because one of his players came back tired? Come on  use a bit of common sense Warburton.

To be fair to him, he's protecting his own interests.  Why would Warburton give a shit that Scotland look good now?  Hell, there's actual Scotsmen in charge of clubs who would agree with him.  He's well within his rights to complain, just like Clarke is well within his rights to laugh and continue while protecting his own interests.

Edited by forameus

14 minutes ago, forameus said:

To be fair to him, he's protecting his own interests.  Why would Warburton give a shit that Scotland look good now?  Hell, there's actual Scotsmen in charge of clubs who would agree with him.  He's well within his rights to complain, just like Clarke is well within his rights to laugh and continue while protecting his own interests.

Clarke took Dykes off 10 minutes early so everyone should be happy

6 hours ago, forameus said:

He's not well within his rights to complain, because there is no valid grounds for complaint. He sounded like an arsehole.

Marshall 

Mctominay McKenna Cooper 

Tierney                                              Robertson

Jack    McGinn

Christie 

Dykes.  Fraser 

Mccrorie

jon mclaughlin

Cosidine

Taylor

Gallagher 

Ross McCrorie 

Mcgregor 

Fleck

Mclean

Mcgregor 

Armstrong

Forrest

McBurnie

Griffiths 

Burke

Absolutely, at the end of the day the games Scotland play are as important to Steve Clarke as the games Liverpool play are to Jurgen Klopp. Its difficult because there is so much money these days but I'd definitely like an international manager to show he's not going to be fucked around by the big clubs and is prepared to put their nose out of joint if necessary. 
Of course its best to have a good relationship with them especially just now with Covid but if you look at a team like Scotland we are desperate to do something, its been far too long.  Even financially the game needs it, the SFA just took out a five million loan. And the fans deserve it too. We are capable of doing something, but only if the vast majority of our best players turn up the vast majority of the time.
Look at a player like Ryan Fraser, what a difference he made.  His pace, quality, intelligence, workrate just made us a much better team with much more of a threat. But he's 26, and has been playing at the top level for a long time, yet he only has about 12 caps. He should have forty by now. That's the sort of thing we need to avoid in future if we are to prosper.
If we do get through against Serbia, as you say, nobody will be calling off then, as they'll all want to play in the Euros. Then once you've done something its a lot more attractive to people like say McBurnie to keep turning up and putting a shift in, and even others like maybe Karlan Grant who could play for Scotland but as yet hasn't shown any interest. Also players who have retired a bit early like say McArthur, you'd see a bit less of that too. It would have a snowball effect.

Mcarthur patched us. No chance he gets anywhere near the squad if we qualify . Same with "broony" . Theyll all be back banging the door down.